Juicing to lose 30 lbs by Jan 1st.

Options

Replies

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Y'all can laugh but it's actually quite plausible and not that crazy. In fact I did just that. A few years ago, I did a 30 day juice fast and lost almost 20 lbs. I'd started at 150-ish. I bet an even fatter person could easily drop 30.

Now, I wasn't stupid enough to do the 'master cleanse' with the cayenne pepper and syrup...yuck! Mine was a nice and tasty version - Lemonade. Freshly squeezed and with regular sugar. I drank about 2 litres/day. Easiest diet I've ever been on. And everyone thought I was going to die or damage my health even though I was feeling just fine and on a full time job and full time student load. So to prove them wrong, I made sure to get my annual blood tests done at the end of the fast. The only thing that was off was the fasting blood sugar, in the low 60s. ALL other labs were in normal range.

The only mistake I made was to go back to eating at a surplus and gained it all back. I should have just figured out my maintenance at that point and I'd have been fine. Anyway I eventually lost it again, and more, over the last 2 years, by just eating less (~1700 cals) and moving much much more and it's staying off and now in maintenance.

Long story short: quick fix didn't work (water weight all came back) but the slow and steady approach did.

20 lbs of water weight? My entire body shrank. When you lose inches off your waist and hips and thighs, it's body fat not water weight. And it's not like it came back overnight, it came back over months of overeating beyond maintenance. If I had eaten at maintenance, I'd have kept it off.

And just because I've lost steadily this time, doesn't mean I can't gain it all back super fast. All I have to do is overeat beyond my current maintenance. How long one takes to lose, doesn't actually matter. It's what you do afterwards.

You think you were in a 2000+ calorie daily deficit? As a 150 pound woman who was still taking in some amount of calories?

If I was drinking about a half cup of sugar or less in my lemonade (can't recall exactly), plus being as busy as I was, I think yes, it's not impossible to reach that deficit. And I'm 5'5" and was in the low 150s iirc.

Plus, unlike those claiming that ALL the weight lost was water weight (which defies logic), I'm not claiming it was 100% fat either (also absurd). I already stated that fat cells are 85% fat and about 15% water, so, some of the weight lost has to be water. I read on bodyrecomposition.com (can't be bothered to find link) that if 20% of weight lost is non-fat mass, that's considered normal.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You shrank because your engorged with water fat cells lost their water >.> = less puffy
  • Traveler120
    edited November 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Y'all can laugh but it's actually quite plausible and not that crazy. In fact I did just that. A few years ago, I did a 30 day juice fast and lost almost 20 lbs. I'd started at 150-ish. I bet an even fatter person could easily drop 30.

Now, I wasn't stupid enough to do the 'master cleanse' with the cayenne pepper and syrup...yuck! Mine was a nice and tasty version - Lemonade. Freshly squeezed and with regular sugar. I drank about 2 litres/day. Easiest diet I've ever been on. And everyone thought I was going to die or damage my health even though I was feeling just fine and on a full time job and full time student load. So to prove them wrong, I made sure to get my annual blood tests done at the end of the fast. The only thing that was off was the fasting blood sugar, in the low 60s. ALL other labs were in normal range.

The only mistake I made was to go back to eating at a surplus and gained it all back. I should have just figured out my maintenance at that point and I'd have been fine. Anyway I eventually lost it again, and more, over the last 2 years, by just eating less (~1700 cals) and moving much much more and it's staying off and now in maintenance.

Long story short: quick fix didn't work (water weight all came back) but the slow and steady approach did.

20 lbs of water weight? My entire body shrank. When you lose inches off your waist and hips and thighs, it's body fat not water weight. And it's not like it came back overnight, it came back over months of overeating beyond maintenance. If I had eaten at maintenance, I'd have kept it off.

And just because I've lost steadily this time, doesn't mean I can't gain it all back super fast. All I have to do is overeat beyond my current maintenance. How long one takes to lose, doesn't actually matter. It's what you do afterwards.

No, you undoubtedly lost some fat considering you were eating literally NOTHING and consuming significantly less calories. You also undoubtedly lost more muscle mass than you would have otherwise, and you undoubtedly caused negative metabolic adaptations.

This is exactly why it's stupid.

That's all just guess work. A person in a huge calorie deficit AND very low body fat AND barely moving (like bedridden), is going to lose muscle mass coz, what else is the body to going to eat, right? But if I'm moving about, with a full time job, full time classes, walking about, AND have excessive amounts of body fat, the human body is not stupid, it's going to use my body fat and preserve my muscles, coz I'm using them. Why would it eat them and leave gobs and gobs of fat just sitting on my thighs and belly? That would be just silly.

As for "negative metabolic adaptations"....which ones? A person's bmr is going to go down if they lose weight since there's less mass. That's normal. My current bmr is normal for a person my weight and height. But people want to use metabolic adaptation as an excuse for why they're regaining weight, when the real issue is they're overeating.

You don't get enough protein juicing to maintain muscle mass

Well, since I didn't step into a DEXA before and after, we'll never know for certain how much muscle was or wasn't lost. All I know is that my waist, belly, hips, thighs and bust, all shrank. And when I'm fat and pinch those bits, all I feel is fat, not water and certainly not muscle. I'm not deluded enough to think I was packing muscle before anyway. Enough to account for nearly 20 lbs off? I don't think so. No, I was fat, not muscular.
  • Traveler120
    Options

No, you undoubtedly lost some fat considering you were eating literally NOTHING and consuming significantly less calories. You also undoubtedly lost more muscle mass than you would have otherwise, and you undoubtedly caused negative metabolic adaptations.

That's all just guess work. A person in a huge calorie deficit AND very low body fat AND barely moving (like bedridden), is going to lose muscle mass coz, what else is the body to going to eat, right? But if I'm moving about, with a full time job, full time classes, walking about, AND have excessive amounts of body fat, the human body is not stupid, it's going to use my body fat and preserve my muscles, coz I'm using them. Why would it eat them and leave gobs and gobs of fat just sitting on my thighs and belly? That would be just silly.

As for "negative metabolic adaptations"....which ones? A person's bmr is going to go down if they lose weight since there's less mass. That's normal. My current bmr is normal for a person my weight and height. But people want to use metabolic adaptation as an excuse for why they're regaining weight, when the real issue is they're overeating.

Where do you suppose your body takes its needed amino acids from when your diet for a month consists of sugar water?

Between the lemons (around 6 maybe?) and sugar, cronometer.com says that majority of the amino acids would have been about 10% of rda.

Also, my lab report that was taken on the last day, also showed a normal blood serum protein level. All other tests in the metabolic panel were also in the normal range. If your body is losing significant levels of muscle, wouldn't that show on some lab test? I would hope so.

But let's say I did lose some muscle, what % of weight lost was it? And isn't it usually said to be easily recoverable? That still leaves us with a majority of weight lost being fat.
  • Traveler120
    Options

Well, since I didn't step into a DEXA before and after, we'll never know for certain how much muscle was or wasn't lost. All I know is that my waist, belly, hips, thighs and bust, all shrank. And when I'm fat and pinch those bits, all I feel is fat, not water and certainly not muscle. I'm not deluded enough to think I was packing muscle before anyway. Enough to account for nearly 20 lbs off? I don't think so. No, I was fat, not muscular.
    *rolls eyes*
    :laugh:
    Fat cells contain water. And of COURSE you cannot pinch muscle when you pinch your skin. You muscle isn't attacked to your skin, it is attacked to the bones of the skeletal system.
    Yes, fat cells contain water. but guess what, fat cells are still mostly actual fat. In fact, as I've said already, they're about 85% fat and the rest is water and cytoplasm etc. So if a person has belly fat, what they're pinching is mostly fat. And when that shrinks, it's fat that's shrinking, for the most part, as opposed to their abs.

• Traveler120
    edited November 2016
    Options

Okay, let's do the math here.
    At 65", 42year old female and 'very active' as the multiplier, your TDEE would be close to 2528.

To lose just 2lbs a week, you need to create a deficit of 1000. So that means 1520.
    For 4lbs a week, you'd have to consume 520 calories.

Are you telling us that you cosumed UNDER 500 calories a DAY to lose that 20lbs?

And...you don't even log.
    Yes, it was a few lemons and I'm guessing under a half cup of sugar.

Nobody claimed it was healthy. Just reporting what happened and that mathematically, it's possible. And the fact that my labs were normal after the fact, doesn't mean it's a healthy approach to weight loss. I still wouldn't do it again (for more than 1 week). This was a few years ago. I know better now.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well since this weekend we celebrated Thanksgiving I decided to switch from cutting to bulking for a week. I did not have time to lift but did get plenty of rest with all the naps.
    Scales were not friendly, but can be expected on my bulking days and although no definition my abbs got bigger.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    dbkyser wrote: »
    Well since this weekend we celebrated Thanksgiving I decided to switch from cutting to bulking for a week. I did not have time to lift but did get plenty of rest with all the naps.
    Scales were not friendly, but can be expected on my bulking days and although no definition my abbs got bigger.

Go take a walk so you can gain it all as muscle. It does weigh more than fat, you know!
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ihy76 wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »

Go take a walk so you can gain it all as muscle. It does weigh more than fat, you know!

I probably put on 8 lbs of muscle last week. Have to love the bulking phase. :)

Its not all about bulking as when you are bulking you are putting on A LOT of fat which is not good

I am counting my Macros and cutting out carbs now so working specifically on my stomach area.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO LOSE WEIGHT FAST THEN I RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING:

THE 3 WEEK DIET is a revolutionary new diet system that not only guarantees to help you lose weight — it promises to help you lose more weight — all body fat — faster than anything else you’ve ever tried.

SIMPLY PUT, WHAT MOST DIETS ACCOMPLISH IN 2-3 MONTHS,
    THE 3 WEEK DIET DOES IN JUST 21 DAYS, INCLUDING:
    • 12-23 pound reduction in body fat
    • 2-4 inches from your waistline
    • 2-3 size drop in dress size
    • Increased muscle tone
    • Decreased cellulite
    • Faster metabolism
    • Increased energy
    • Healthier hair & skin
    • Improved cholesterol levels
    • And a host of other health benefits
    *snip*

:laugh:

It's like you aren't really even trying to find your target audience.

What do you mean?

Did you actually read the thread?