Am I ready to lose weight again?

bbell1985
bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Posting because I need to get a few things off of my chest, and also looking for some insight on a few things as far as weight loss is concerned.

I understand CICO. I train hard, grasp the concept of needing to use a food scale, understand TDEE, NEAT, macros, and yadda yadda yadda...

I've lost my weight. I bulked and sucked at cutting, gained some back and then some.

Here I am, thinking I know what to do, never understanding how people gain weight back but I weigh 20 more lbs than I did last year at this time (yes, I did gain 14 purposefully during the bulk). But still.

Probably since July I have been dealing with the highest amount of stress I have ever had in my adult life. I've never spent so much time crying. It got bad enough to miss a few months of my period, and now I feel my body responding in different ways. For example, my psoas is SO tight. I can't use the restroom most of the week and wonder if this is why and if the tight psoas is related to stress. I wonder if this is slowing down the scale as well. I just feel like my whole body is constantly strained.

I've also developed a disordered way of thinking about food and eating. And that adds to the stress and pain I'm feeling now. I am searching for a therapist.

On top of that I feel fat, which makes the stress of beginning to date again at 31 in NYC even worse.

So I need to stop shoving animal crackers in my face at work, right? I need to reduce stress and hopefully let go of some water weight.

I guess I want the world to tell me "it's okay, stress is the reason you're not losing weight", but I know better...and that makes me sad all over again.

Anyway, I finally went to get some blood work done and will hear back next week about thyroid and cortisol. I'm probably looking for excuses.

Has anyone been able to be successful at losing weight while their life is messy? Or have you had to put it on the back burner for awhile?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I had to put it on the back burner. I'm slowly moving toward cutting calories but it will be very low key.
  • bbell1985
    jemhh wrote: »
    I had to put it on the back burner. I'm slowly moving toward cutting calories but it will be very low key.

How did that make you feel though? I feel like I can't let go of the goal.
  • bbell1985
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I have no idea what psoas is.

But honestly, losing weight and what you put in your mouth is something you can control.

So how is it going for you? That control?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    I would probably think it would be best to work on the other parts of your life before actively trying to lose weight. Stress and medical stuff can make it harder. Adding the stress of dieting, along with your disordered thinking, will make it even more stressful. If anything, I would continue to workout hard and make smarter decisions when it comes to food. So whole foods, fruits, veggies, leaner proteins, whole grains/oats and dairy occasionally. I would also try to stay away from any trigger foods if you have any.
  • bbell1985
    Ugh.. @psuLemon always with words of wisdom. I'm gonna give it another go though. I feel motivated again. Just like I do every two weeks after I crash and burn.
  • bbell1985
    psuLemon wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Ugh.. @psuLemon always with words of wisdom. I'm gonna give it another go though. I feel motivated again. Just like I do every two weeks after I crash and burn.

So you can always cycle. Get in a deficit for a few weeks and then move to maintenance. You can even do that throughout the week. Some days you set at a deficit (even aggressive) and other days, closer to maintenance. This may make it easier for you to achieve a weekly deficit.

lol. I get that. I already "do" that. Obviously I need better control on my "maintenance" days.

I just used to be so good at this *kitten*! What happened?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I think you're adding stress to yourself thinking about this too much. Baby steps maybe?

I like psuLemon's idea of cycling. Set small goals of maybe eating at deficit just a few days... just something small and manageable for you to do.

Your other issues sound more like top priority.
  • bbell1985
    I think you're adding stress to yourself thinking about this too much. Baby steps maybe?

I like psuLemon's idea of cycling. Set small goals of maybe eating at deficit just a few days... just something small and manageable for you to do.

Your other issues sound more like top priority.

Yeah. They are...but at the same time I don't want to be out of control/touch because I CANNOT gain anymore weight. Baby steps is right maybe.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

So you can always cycle. Get in a deficit for a few weeks and then move to maintenance. You can even do that throughout the week. Some days you set at a deficit (even aggressive) and other days, closer to maintenance. This may make it easier for you to achieve a weekly deficit.

^This is awesome advice, OP. You will be less likely to stress if you think in terms of purposeful maintaining in between. Not gaining is also succeeding. Try to stay positive and focus on what things are going well in your life. I can sympathize as I live under stress also. It isn't something that I can remove so that makes it all the more difficult.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Stress is a killer- is there any way to reduce the stress in your life? I would start with that. I'd also suggest just a mild deficit and eat within your calories but not go full bore on major weight loss goals- just do it kind of slow & steady and in a low stress kind of way, meaning no deep deficit, working out to relieve stress not with the direct intention of getting super lean, not having any forbidden foods but do try to eat healthier lots of veggies & fiber so you feel better on a daily basis, etc.

I'd also suggest putting dating aside for now. Your main priority should be you and your health. Get that stress under control, simplify, eat well, drink water, go get a massage or something, try to get away from the city & out into nature as much as possible... 31 is actually really young, you have time, relax.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Courtney's advice is spot on also, especially the part about calorie deficit. Maybe you can take the pressure off by going for a 1/2 pound a week goal? Try to be satisfied with a slower weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

But honestly, losing weight and what you put in your mouth is something you can control.

So how is it going for you? That control?

I lost 78 pounds or so. But yeah, you have to be in the mental state to do it, and it's just not easy to get there. I honestly don't think there's any way to convince someone to do it... you got to be ready.

But what I meant is that when things are stressful and out of your control, what you eat IS something you can control. If you go to food for comfort... make healthier versions of what you crave.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member

psoas is a muscle
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member

https://www.yoganatomy.com/psoas-resources/

@bbell1985 because you do know about the psoas muscle, I wonder if you practice yoga and have kept up your practice during this time? What's your exercise routine in general?

Exercise has been a lifesaver for me to deal with stress, rather than my former coping mechanism, food. If I'm stressed I can't just jump onto my yoga mat - I'll do some mindless cardio before I am ready for a mindful practice.

Spending time in nature is especially good for destressing. Since you're in NYC it's more challenging for you than it is for me, but not impossible.

However, being in NYC you have more access to mind-body resources. I had a fantastic yoga therapist for a while who was just amazing. Unfortunately, she moved away.

I've just completed moving in with my OH and unpacking, which has been quite stressful. I've been trying to eat at maintenance, but have been going over, and have gained three pounds since August. I'm ok with that though, and am ready to get back on track.

{{{{{ hugs }}}}}

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    jemhh wrote: »

How did that make you feel though? I feel like I can't let go of the goal.

How does putting weight loss on the back burner feel? I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, I have been relieved because I know that it has meant that I am taking better care of myself. Stressing less over my food has been nice. Being able to lift more (I don't get stronger when cutting at this point) is nice. Recovering from an injury and getting my period back has been nice (I'm old enough that I worry about doing something to cause permanent bone loss.)

But I do admit to recurring thoughts of not deserving to stop working on fat loss. I am in fat loss purgatory and have body image problems that I never had when I was fat so I feel like I went from feeling fine about my body to feeling terrible and my only options are to get leaner or fatter and I'd rather not do the latter. The former, though, has become exceedingly difficult.

FWIW, when I start cutting calories again I am going to start with only cutting calories two days a week. I'll probably eat at maintenance 5 days and at 1200 2 days.