cycling friendly (concealed) holster

Replies

• mattdhall
    mattdhall Posts: 85 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Where do you live that you can't exercise without a gun?

Ahhh, it just wouldn't be MFP without comments like these.

I thought the same thing.
    For us that do not live in the USA (or any other country with similar firearm laws) carrying a gun at any time, not only when exercising, is alien- so the question is quite valid.

Cheers, h.

It seems pretty alien to the 2/3 of Americans that don't own guns, too.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    b3achy wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    b3achy wrote: »
    You mentioned that it takes balance just to stand on a paddleboard; what's it like to shoot a gun from one?

Good question. Until yesterday, I've not thought much about it, but something to be considered for sure.

Assuming prone would be the preferred position. Have to workshop this one.

Good point. If the weapon was in a box strapped to my board, I'd already be crouching or kneeling on the board. And probably a good position to be in should I needed to access it and fire it. Even just kneeling on a board is very stable, it's the standing that would be a smidge challenging to get into a stable firing position.

I don't know of any marine grade handguns like there are shotguns but something in stainless steel would probably be more durable long term. also maybe some desiccant pouches inside the waterproof box because no box I've ever used is completely waterproof. A revolver could be fired through a ziploc bag where as a semi automatic firearm could become jammed by the bag if you wanted to go with an extra layer of protection.

I carried a Glock 19 since 1992 and used this extensively in marine environments. It was specifically designed to be fired underwater and is very resistant to salt water corrosion.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'd like to add some things. No matter what holster you decide on the holster must cover the trigger guard. This seems like common sense however I've seen many people carrying firearms in holsters that do not properly fit.

OP you chose to carry your firearm effectively unloaded While I understand many of the thoughts behind this practice I can't stress to you enough just how long it might take to draw your firearm and load it and thats if conditions are perfect. What would hapen if you were thrown from your bike and partially disabled could you load your weapon even with your weak hand one handed?

No one ever sets out to be a victim but unfortunately it happens daily to people everywhere. Here in the USA we have many more options for self defense so that we don't just have to be a good little victim.

In my years of carrying a concealed firearm there was only 1 time I even considered pulling it. I was walking with my 5 year old son and 6 month old daughter. He was on a bike and she was in a stroller. 2 very large angry dogs came out of a yard and charged us. Luckily for me I was able to scare off the dogs by yelling at them but I could not have protected both of my children from them at once.

The P238 I carry condition 1. might have said condition 2 by accident.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    I have a 17 which has been wet several times and shows no signs of rusting but I do clean it after exposure to water. It is hard to beat the original tenifer finish applied to Glocks before regulations changed their coating process. The finish on my 26 does not seem nearly as durable.
  • curlsintherack
    Lizarking wrote: »
    I'd like to add some things. No matter what holster you decide on the holster must cover the trigger guard. This seems like common sense however I've seen many people carrying firearms in holsters that do not properly fit.

OP you chose to carry your firearm effectively unloaded While I understand many of the thoughts behind this practice I can't stress to you enough just how long it might take to draw your firearm and load it and thats if conditions are perfect. What would hapen if you were thrown from your bike and partially disabled could you load your weapon even with your weak hand one handed?

No one ever sets out to be a victim but unfortunately it happens daily to people everywhere. Here in the USA we have many more options for self defense so that we don't just have to be a good little victim.

In my years of carrying a concealed firearm there was only 1 time I even considered pulling it. I was walking with my 5 year old son and 6 month old daughter. He was on a bike and she was in a stroller. 2 very large angry dogs came out of a yard and charged us. Luckily for me I was able to scare off the dogs by yelling at them but I could not have protected both of my children from them at once.

The P238 I carry condition 1. might have said condition 2 by accident.

I may also have remembered it wrong as I read this earlier today and just came back to read all the hate later.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »
    helocat wrote: »

Seriously!? If the need to pack for paddle boarding or walking on the beach is your concern you need to get involved with your local government. Or indulge in confidence-building. Or both.

Clearly carry is not for you. That is fine. However if others choose to do so responsibly, that is then their decision.

I believe in the right to bear arms. I also believe there are ways to not be the victim.

Good for you. But it's not relevant to this thread. Start your own thread if you'd like to discuss the societal issues and other unrelated things.

My responses were all relevant.

I also believe in freedom of speech.
  • Glossberg
    Glossberg Posts: 40 Member
    To answer the OP's question check out Pistol Wear. I own the PT-2. I've owned it for almost two years. I'm primarily a runner but have taken many cycling classes and it wears comfortably.

PW does not recommend carry one in the pipe as it is a softer material and possible with some form of extreme force I could see something getting into the trigger guard but highly unlikely. With that said, I also carry a my gun (Glock 43) in a Desantis Nemosis pocket holster then drop the gun and DN into the PT-2. I think it keeps the gun in place a little better and I confidently carry the gun with one in the chamber.

With that said, I'd strongly recommend avoiding off body carry if you AND carry with one in the chamber (if it can be accomplished in a safe manner).

• barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    I highly recommend looking into the Crossbreed holsters. In particular the super tuck deluxe or perhaps the mini deluxe. I also recommend you get it in horse hide as that will mold more to your body and is by far superior to cow leather.

I utilize the Supertuck Deluxe for my Shield 9mm and also for my FNP 45. Works great in the hot Kalifornia weather, fits right between the shorts and doesn't print. Not sure how the mini tuck would work for a bigger framed gun but I'm super happy with the way the supertuck holds the gun against my body. It has just enough material to keep the rear of the gun from digging in to your love handles/side.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

I will avoid getting into the gun debate, I will say in the great country of America it is a right to defend yourself and if you choose not to I have no problem with that, I however choose to utilize that right with my experiences/training choose to protect myself/others. I hope to never have to use it but have had 1 encounter where I did have to pull my firearm to get to safety and luckily all it took was seeing a gun come out when they pulled a knife on me and they ran away.

Back to lurking.......
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited December 2016
    I highly recommend looking into the Crossbreed holsters. In particular the super tuck deluxe or perhaps the mini deluxe. I also recommend you get it in horse hide as that will mold more to your body and is by far superior to cow leather.

I utilize the Supertuck Deluxe for my Shield 9mm and also for my FNP 45. Works great in the hot Kalifornia weather, fits right between the shorts and doesn't print. Not sure how the mini tuck would work for a bigger framed gun but I'm super happy with the way the supertuck holds the gun against my body. It has just enough material to keep the rear of the gun from digging in to your love handles/side.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

I will avoid getting into the gun debate, I will say in the great country of America it is a right to defend yourself and if you choose not to I have no problem with that, I however choose to utilize that right with my experiences/training choose to protect myself/others. I hope to never have to use it but have had 1 encounter where I did have to pull my firearm to get to safety and luckily all it took was seeing a gun come out when they pulled a knife on me and they ran away.

Back to lurking.......

Won't the supertuck be a problem without an actual belt?

I have one in the mail actually. It's for my SP101 though. That thing weighs more than my bike.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    I use the Crossbreed Belly Band, I also have a $15 AlphaHolster Thigh Holster (smaller version of the Belly Band designed for thigh carry) I purchased from Amazon that works well with compact/sub-compact firearms.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Look into Air Marshall holsters. They would be great for a P238.
  • curlsintherack
    rlaramee2 wrote: »
    Only in 'Murrica is this even a discussion lol

IKR? In other countries I assume the discussion would be based around "Hey guys, what do I do when confronted with life-threatening people/animals? Do I pray or do I just hope? Which is more effective?"

depends on where you are. In some parts of the world defending yourself can get you in as much trouble as your attacker or possibly even more.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited December 2016

IKR? In other countries I assume the discussion would be based around "Hey guys, what do I do when confronted with life-threatening people/animals? Do I pray or do I just hope? Which is more effective?"

I think most people make the choice to avoid such situations rather than pack for a "just in case" scenario. I would say that more Americans are "praying and hoping" than other countries. Especially now.

The OP may have a good reason for a "concealed" weapon. What it is? Don't know. A bike commute through gangster territory?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2016

Given that resorting to a firearm isn't an option for any but a small number of us, and then only when carrying for work related reasons, it just doesn't occur. There are many life threatening situations where a personal weapon system has no value, and those that it could be a viable escalation have a great many other options.

Even when carrying for work purposes, use of a personal weapon would be disproportionate in most situations.

Given that I wandered round Beirut in plain clothes in the mid 90s, as an example, I've got plenty of experience of threatening diatoms where I've not felt great need to be armed. That said, I was carrying a Browning Hi Power then, with covert body armour.

I'd add that in the UK we've had three mass shooting incidents in the last 30 years or so. Each one was demonstrated to be by someone who shouldn't have been authorised to own the weapon systems they used, but there were legal constraints applied that largely affected our sport shooting communities
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    rileyes wrote: »

I think most people make the choice to avoid such situations rather than pack for a "just in case" scenario. I would say that more Americans are "praying and hoping" than other countries. Especially now.

The OP may have a good reason for a "concealed" weapon. What it is? Don't know. A bike commute through gangster territory?

I also make the choice to avoid such situations but I don't control others (people and animals) that may chose to create a situation despite my best efforts to avoid it. I am also prepared for that situation as well.

Best of luck to the OP on solution to the issue and let us know if you find something that works.