cycling friendly (concealed) holster

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    b3achy wrote: »
    I'd like to say thanks for starting this thread. While I don't bike, I do sometimes find myself out and about and wondering about better options for my concealed carry. Still haven't found a holster that I like (and I've tried few), but I continue to hear a lot recommending the 5.11 shirts, and really need to save up to get one or two of those. There have been a couple of other links posted that have been useful to me as well.

I would never do a rear holster because one of my law enforcement friends has told me that there are too many accidental discharges (in the law enforcement ranks, not even civilians) where guys have been shooting themselves as they reach for their weapon. He was a big proponent of ankle holsters, if you didn't want to do a shoulder holster, and wouldn't allow the folks in his office to purchase rear holsters. But your mileage may vary.

As a single female that also geocaches, I often find that I won't go out geocaching in certain locations because of the remoteness and the possibility of being alone (since I prefer to go out solo) and possibly in a situation where I do need to defend myself. I have carried my pistol in my backpack, but would prefer to wear my weapon for the various reasons mentioned above, but especially because I don't want to be separated from my weapon should I need it. As a Stand Up Paddleboarder, I often go out alone, but since I'm on salt water, I don't carry in that situation (yet), but I have been hearing of more and more issues with some boaters and fishermen harassing the other single girls...and unfortunately, they often have faster vessels than we do on our boards. While most of the boaters and fishermen I've run across have been stand up folks, I did have an issue with a couple of boaters just yesterday that kind of creeped me out. So, I'm starting to consider waterproof lock boxes at this point that I can put on my board...going to suck for access time, but I'm figuring after I break my paddle over someone's head, I'm going to need something else at the ready should it come to that.

And yes, we have that many jerks/pervs/idiots in the US, that single women (and apparently also men) exercising alone need to consider these types of options if they want to go out to get a workout in. We've even had issues in my town along a popular waterfront sidewalk on a very busy street where multiple women jogging in the early evening (just barely dark/twilight) have been getting attacked even with tons of people around. I want to say the last attack was actually in broad daylight, but I'd need to do a bit of research to verify. Frankly, it's why I almost never go out alone at night and am very cautious during the day. IMO, you can never be too safety conscious, especially if you are a solo exerciser.

So thanks for bringing up this discussion! I've been lurking because I've got little to contribute, but have appreciated the helpful responses to the OP.

Seriously!? If the need to pack for paddle boarding or walking on the beach is your concern you need to get involved with your local government. Or indulge in confidence-building. Or both.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited December 2016
    Lizarking wrote: »
    any suggestions? All my go-to brands require a heavy duty belt, but that's not gonna work with exercise clothing.
    Have a compact (p238.)

Considered top bar bag, but it feels like a bad idea in general.

A light amount of printing is OK. A shell would be nice.

Look at any of the concealment garments - NineLine, 5.11, UnderTech. I used to carry an underarm Galco shoulder rig while on a bike and heading to work. I'm particular to 5.11 as their quality is outstanding. Comfort is key, so make sure this is a garment and rig that moves with you.

Small of the back is fine - so issues there any more than other locations. Appendix carry is probably a bad idea on a bike. :s

I never recommend off the body carry - very bad idea.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks a bunch! I'll hit up the 5.11 store down the street this weekend. Haven't been there yet.

off-body has a few troubling issues. Like, what if i need to move it between them?
  • rileyes
    helocat wrote: »

Seriously!? If the need to pack for paddle boarding or walking on the beach is your concern you need to get involved with your local government. Or indulge in confidence-building. Or both.

Clearly carry is not for you. That is fine. However if others choose to do so responsibly, that is then their decision.

I believe in the right to bear arms. I also believe there are ways to not be the victim.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,985 Member
    edited December 2016
    rileyes wrote: »

Guess you don't live where I do. You shouldn't pass judgement on what you don't know. I would have never considered it before, but as I said, I've been hearing from more ladies who are currently getting harassed...all it takes is for one to go from being verbal to moving into the physical, and yes, my fun hobby is going to be spoiled.

You don't know me, but I can assure you I don't have confidence issues, and I don't feel the need to mock or knock others down in a public forum either.

I'm former military, but I'm also an older and smaller lady, so I know my physical limitations, especially when on something like a paddleboard...ie, no place to go, already takes balance just to stand there, not going to be able to get away from a faster boater, much less fend off an attack from a bunch of drunk or otherwise potentially deranged boaters. And like I said, once I break my paddle over at least one of their heads, I might like to have options when I'm in a situation where I can't expect help quickly. I refuse to be a victim, which is why I consider options like potentially carrying while I'm out paddling for a few miles and might not be near land or someone who could help me. Also, I know who I am, but I also know that some can see me as older, smaller, and a possible target. Trust me, I keep as far away from shady characters as possible, but once they spot you, sometimes they can get to you faster than you can get away from them. It's prudent to consider ALL options and not be stupid, even out on the water.
  • CSARdiver
    So many inventions/solutions are popping up as I read this thread. And not just about concealed gun holsters. May I ask the #1 question asked in the fitness forum? What is your goal? What do you want to shoot?

If I may put in my .02

The goal of any responsible carrier is to preserve life. Yours and potentially others. Use of force should be metered with the utmost caution. No responsible carrier ever wants to shoot anything. This is a last resort when all other options have failed.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    You mentioned that it takes balance just to stand on a paddleboard; what's it like to shoot a gun from one?
  • rileyes

Guess you don't live where I do. You shouldn't pass judgement on what you don't know. I would have never considered it before, but as I said, I've been hearing from more ladies who are currently getting harassed...all it takes is for one to go from being verbal to moving into the physical, and yes, my fun hobby is going to be spoiled.

You don't know me, but I can assure you I don't have confidence issues, and I don't feel the need to mock or knock others down in a public forum either.

I'm former military, but I'm also an older and smaller lady, so I know my physical limitations, especially when on something like a paddleboard...ie, no place to go, already takes balance just to stand there, not going to be able to get away from a faster boater, much less fend off an attack from a bunch of drunk or otherwise potentially deranged boaters. And like I said, once I break my paddle over at least one of their heads, I might like to have options when I'm in a situation where I can't expect help quickly. I refuse to be a victim, which is why I consider options like potentially carrying while I'm out paddling for a few miles and might not be near land or someone who could help me. Also, I know who I am, but I also know that some can see me as older, smaller, and a possible target. Trust me, I keep as far away from shady characters as possible, but once they spot you, sometimes they can get to you faster than you can get away from them. It's prudent to consider ALL options and not be stupid, even out on the water.

I prefer the position of offense. Getting involved with your local government may be a first step to prevent such occurrences. Drunken deranged boaters? There's a law for that.
  • b3achy
    edited December 2016
    You mentioned that it takes balance just to stand on a paddleboard; what's it like to shoot a gun from one?

Good question. Until yesterday, I've not thought much about it, but something to be considered for sure. The one good thing is typically where I paddle (and where I saw the creepy boaters), I can be a mile off shore, but it is still shallow enough to stand. However, that is food for thought, and something that I'd need to think though should I ever move from considering taking my pistol out with me to actually doing it.

And per my personal incident yesterday, my first thought was to paddle into the restricted area around our local military base since it was nearby. I know they have fast boats to respond should people ignore the signs. I figure if I was being attacked it would be a good case of asking forgiveness later, and I might be able to fight long enough until they got there.
  • CSARdiver

Good question. Until yesterday, I've not thought much about it, but something to be considered for sure.

Assuming prone would be the preferred position. Have to workshop this one.
  • b3achy
    edited December 2016
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Good question. Until yesterday, I've not thought much about it, but something to be considered for sure.

Good point. If the weapon was in a box strapped to my board, I'd already be crouching or kneeling on the board. And probably a good position to be in should I needed to access it and fire it. Even just kneeling on a board is very stable, it's the standing that would be a smidge challenging to get into a stable firing position.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Good question. Until yesterday, I've not thought much about it, but something to be considered for sure. The one good thing is typically where I paddle (and where I saw the creepy boaters), I can be a mile off shore, but it is still shallow enough to stand.

I've never been on a stand-up paddle board, but I've spent a lot of time in a kayak. I can move a lot faster in the boat than I can trying to walk through the water. If I were a mile from shore, and trying to get away from something, I think I'd want to avoid getting knocked from my boat at all costs.
  • rileyes
    So many inventions/solutions are popping up as I read this thread. And not just about concealed gun holsters. May I ask the #1 question asked in the fitness forum? What is your goal? What do you want to shoot?

If I may put in my .02

The goal of any responsible carrier is to preserve life. Yours and potentially others. Use of force should be metered with the utmost caution. No responsible carrier ever wants to shoot anything. This is a last resort when all other options have failed.

Unless, of course, if you are going out to shoot some bottles for fun.
  • b3achy
    edited December 2016
    Good question. Until yesterday, I've not thought much about it, but something to be considered for sure. The one good thing is typically where I paddle (and where I saw the creepy boaters), I can be a mile off shore, but it is still shallow enough to stand.

I've never been on a stand-up paddle board, but I've spent a lot of time in a kayak. I can move a lot faster in the boat than I can trying to walk through the water. If I were a mile from shore, and trying to get away from something, I think I'd want to avoid getting knocked from my boat at all costs.

True, sorry I wasn't clear but I was referencing if I need to actually shoot my weapon, I could stand on the floor of the bay and it would be more stable than trying to stand on my board and shoot.

But you're right, paddling my butt off would be the first option. Breaking paddle over head is second. Drawing and firing is last resort. Not sure blowing the lame whistle the coast guard makes me carry should I be in distress would even make my top 5 things to consider.

And for what it's worth, yesterday was a very rare incident for me. One super creepy boater with two guys, and NO other boaters, fishermen, kayakers or paddlers around. Typically there are plenty of others around, I'd have little fear that at least one would come to my aid should I need to scream my head off, or use my handy coast guard whistle. But yesterday was one of the rare things that makes you consider all options and start trying to figure out what would be the best way to deal with the situation.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member

Good point. If the weapon was in a box strapped to my board, I'd already be crouching or kneeling on the board. And probably a good position to be in should I needed to access it and fire it. Even just kneeling on a board is very stable, it's the standing that would be a smidge challenging to get into a stable firing position.

I don't know of any marine grade handguns like there are shotguns but something in stainless steel would probably be more durable long term. also maybe some desacant pouches inside the waterproof box because no box I've ever used is completely waterproof. A revolver could be fired through a ziploc bag where as a semi automatic firearm could become jammed by the bag if you wanted to go with an extra layer of protection.