cycling friendly (concealed) holster

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    rileyes wrote: »
    The OP may have a good reason for a "concealed" weapon. What it is? Don't know. A bike commute through gangster territory?

The originator responded to my question about that by suggesting animals. Now whether a small personal pistol of the type identified would be enough to take a credible that down is a different question.

It was material to my answer, suggesting a frame mount. Your things to think about there would be attack direction and delivery. So not having it on the body would be a factor.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    rlaramee2 wrote: »
    Only in 'Murrica is this even a discussion lol

IKR? In other countries I assume the discussion would be based around "Hey guys, what do I do when confronted with life-threatening people/animals? Do I pray or do I just hope? Which is more effective?"

I think most people make the choice to avoid such situations rather than pack for a "just in case" scenario. I would say that more Americans are "praying and hoping" than other countries. Especially now.

The OP may have a good reason for a "concealed" weapon. What it is? Don't know. A bike commute through gangster territory?

Ever lived outside of the big city, where wild animals exist and can pose a threat to bicycle riders/runners/hikers? A couple mtb riders have been killed by mountain lions not far east of you, in Orange County. Many people live/exercise in locations far more remote (and full of wildlife) than that, too. Not everybody lives in a concrete jungle where the most threatening animal you encounter is a stray cat or somebody walking their poodle.

I just say, "sit" when I encounter poodles.

I have biked in mountain lion territory without a gun. I signed waivers in Laguna Beach. I went in a group. We also have coyotes wandering around our city. They have been spotted between dusk and dawn. No attacks to humans yet. And I don't plan on being the first victim. I've changed my sports patterns to daytime. Wild animals are everywhere now. I take calculated risks.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2016
    I refused to purchase/carry a firearm for the longest time much like I refused to upgrade from cassette to CD (to MP3), tube TV to flat screen, conventional oven to microwave, etc..etc. I thought firearms are for cowards and the lazy..anyone can pull a trigger with little or no effort but it takes skill, bravery, and strength to use a melee weapon and that's what I was all about. But times change and so must we change with the times..we're not safe anywhere anymore at anytime so we must "arm" and educate ourselves with the latest technology available if we want to survive.

And because a pistol is a lot easier to conceal and more convenient to carry around than a mace or broadsword.
  • barracudamuscle
    barracudamuscle Posts: 313 Member
    Lizarking wrote: »

Won't the supertuck be a problem without an actual belt?

I have one in the mail actually. It's for my SP101 though. That thing weighs more than my bike.

Yes you'd want a belt for sure with that setup. As another poster suggested the crossbreed belly band may be another alternative. I just figure the less I have to buy the more versatile one carry system is. I like to buy one system and utilize it as my goto. The reasons are I train with that setup, and then I am intimately familiar with the setup and have a good muscle memory built in god forbid I ever needed it. Not sure how a belt/belly system would feel on a ride, I guess it depends on how long a ride and your body type.

I think the key is having accessibility to the weapon system over comforts in some cases. I wouldn't want to put it in a back pack as that would be hard to get to the weapon system in a pinch. A conventional old school idea could be to incorporate your water bottle carry system to hold the weapon. Hell even just a basic fanny pack holds great sub framed weapons, and chicks dig fanny packs! Added bonus!
  • poppysierra
    poppysierra Posts: 79 Member
    So glad I don't have to deal with any of this - I just try not to get run over!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The way I view this topic, is the same way I look at cars and horsepower. I rather have it and never need it, than need it and not have it.

Sure but we're talking about a bike, not a car, so the opposite applies. To make a car go faster, you touch the gas pedal a little bit more. To make a bike go faster, you suffer more. Cyclists' enemies are hills, and what makes it harder to go up a hill? Unnecessary weight.

That's why people spend $400 on carbon fiber handlebars and $3,100 on light-weight climbing wheels. To remove unneeded weight. Because it's a bicycle.

You are a serious rider. It's possible the few extra pounds and improved safety is well worth it. So just because you would spend 4k on a bike, doesn't mean that would apply to all of us.

$4k? That's kind of insulting. :disappointed: But the point isn't the number, it's the difference between a car and a bike when it comes to unneeded dead weight.

Safety on a bike comes from wearing a helmet and having head lights; carrying a heavy thing increases your risk of breaking bones in a crash. I can tell you (as a "serious rider") a gun does nothing to improve safety on a bicycle. He can do as he sees fit, I'm just correcting this misconception about safety.

If you want to get a real safety device for the bike, check out Garmin's Varia rear-view radar. Because the #1 danger to most cyclists comes from drivers of cars. And you can't shoot them for crossing the lane markings.

Garmin-Varia-Radar-Display-Unit-CarsPassing-2.jpg

Thanks for posting this - after being hit 3x (two sideswipes and 1 Tbone) while biking - all in Florida I had resigned never to bike in Florida. This is an awesome tool!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Thanks for posting this - after being hit 3x (two sideswipes and 1 Tbone) while biking - all in Florida I had resigned never to bike in Florida. This is an awesome tool!

This is one of the reasons that I've NEVER ridden a bicycle on the street. Only closed tracks, streets or parks -- like Golden Gate Park in SF on weekends.

Even motorcycles are at risk but I don't ride them anymore. ;)

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    I refused to purchase/carry a firearm for the longest time much like I refused to upgrade from cassette to CD (to MP3), tube TV to flat screen, conventional oven to microwave, etc..etc. I thought firearms are for cowards and the lazy..anyone can pull a trigger with little or no effort but it takes skill, bravery, and strength to use a melee weapon and that's what I was all about. But times change and so must we change with the times..we're not safe anywhere anymore at anytime so we must "arm" and educate ourselves with the latest technology available if we want to survive.

Sorry but you don't need to "arm" yourself to survive (I am talking about weapons) or embrace the latest technology either. I agree that education is key but weapons are not, unless you are in uniform. But to each his/her own.
    I never, ever purchased or carried a firearm and I am surviving just fine.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

This is one of the reasons that I've NEVER ridden a bicycle on the street. Only closed tracks, streets or parks -- like Golden Gate Park in SF on weekends.

Even motorcycles are at risk but I don't ride them anymore. ;)

I was drawn to this thread as this perfectly described my commute to a North Chicago site. When I first relocated to Chicago I didn't live in the best neighborhood and saved as much money as possible by biking to work. At this same point the city tore out a railway and replaced it with a bike trail, so I was able to stay off the busy roads and avoid some of the worst areas.

I haven't been on a motorcycle since I had kids. Just too many distracted drivers on the street today.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I agree that education is key but weapons are not, unless you are in uniform.

Well you remember this if and when you ever do find yourself in grave danger: When you only have seconds, the police are just minutes away

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member

Sorry but you don't need to "arm" yourself to survive (I am talking about weapons) or embrace the latest technology either. I agree that education is key but weapons are not, unless you are in uniform. But to each his/her own.
    I never, ever purchased or carried a firearm and I am surviving just fine.

What's your stance on condoms?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    What? Am I missing something, please clarify because I fail to understand what firearms and condoms have to do with my answer.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    What? Am I missing something, please clarify because I fail to understand what firearms and condoms have to do with my answer.

Have you ever carried a condum just in case the need arose? You may not have planned on needing one but to be without one could have been life alteringly bad in the heat of the moment.