• JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I don't get the PF hate. But I do know chalk isn't a thing there.

It's not hate at all from me. I just don't like hypocrisy.

Lunk is a negative thing to call someone. It would be no different if I opened up my "gym" and put a "No Fatties" alarm next to the treadmills, but I still go on about "no judgement".

They should remove "that word".

Yes, and the alarms. I like to imagine a world where people can be held accountable on an individual basis rather than with some passive aggressive alarm that can be pressed. It's much the same way I am against punishing entire factions of people for anything based on a few people's disregard of rules.

This.

Also the type of people who would pull such an alarm are not the type of people I'd want to be around anyway. I get enough tattling from my 6-year-old. I don't want to have to deal with the same thing from a bunch of smug busybodies.

There is no alarm to pull at Planet Fitness. It's something in the floor that registers the hit.
    I've been at my PF for 5 months and have only heard the alarm once--following a really loud bang.

Maybe there isn't one at your Planet Fitness, but yes, they are out there.

OK, didn't know that--when I got my tour, they said it was a sensor in the floor.

I would suggest the person giving the tour has no clue. A sensor in the floor would be cost prohibitive and would not pick up other "lunk like" behaviors like grunting.

Well there is no button, and I have heard the alarm go off once after a loud bang. But no, it wouldn't register a grunt or someone going "too fast" on a treadmill. My PF opened 2 years ago. I visited another one last week that was newly opened and it didn't have a button either.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I don't get the PF hate. But I do know chalk isn't a thing there.

It's not hate at all from me. I just don't like hypocrisy.

Lunk is a negative thing to call someone. It would be no different if I opened up my "gym" and put a "No Fatties" alarm next to the treadmills, but I still go on about "no judgement".

They should remove "that word".

Yes, and the alarms. I like to imagine a world where people can be held accountable on an individual basis rather than with some passive aggressive alarm that can be pressed. It's much the same way I am against punishing entire factions of people for anything based on a few people's disregard of rules.

This.

Also the type of people who would pull such an alarm are not the type of people I'd want to be around anyway. I get enough tattling from my 6-year-old. I don't want to have to deal with the same thing from a bunch of smug busybodies.

There is no alarm to pull at Planet Fitness. It's something in the floor that registers the hit.
    I've been at my PF for 5 months and have only heard the alarm once--following a really loud bang.

Maybe there isn't one at your Planet Fitness, but yes, they are out there.

OK, didn't know that--when I got my tour, they said it was a sensor in the floor.

PF is a franchise, so individual locations will be run differently. There are good ones out there (the one in my area is actually not bad), but the fact still remains that their overall marketing strategy is a judgmental one.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Here's a new one... I go to a 24 hr club that has their lights on a timer......a stupid motion detection timer that's set for 18 min. Here's the fun part....it doesn't pick up movement on the cardio machines. So during my 40 min interval runs the lights will turn off at least twice. It only takes a second to adjust, but I've lost my balance in the middle of a sprint once or twice while my eyes adjust to the light and have about gone off the treadmill.

I've asked when they're going to fix that (multiple times) because that's a pretty sizeable safety hazard only to be met with "we can't". You can't what....set your sensor time? These are the same people who can't figure out how to use their cameras to find a specific time, so I shouldn't be surprised.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

Why is that "admirable"?

And there are lots of places where an overweight or obese person can feel comfortable without spreading the (false) idea that people into fitness are scary and mean and act poorly. I've worked out at gyms (or health clubs) when in a variety of fitness levels, and always found gyms where people are serious about working out to be reasonably friendly places, some with atmospheres I prefer more than others, of course. I quit one once because the atmosphere wasn't really for me, but that didn't mean the people there were bad or deserving of mockery. It just wasn't what I wanted.

That is fine if they don't bellow or throw, IMO. I'm super happy where i am.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    firef1y72 wrote: »

-people who stand in the front in a dance fitness class when they can't keep up/have no idea what they are doing
    -people with no musicality, timing or ability to count who try to take dance fitness classes
    -people moving the wrong way in a group class...especially if they are doing this in my blind spot

This is why I don't take the classes or go to the gym. I've tried, but the attitude I get from the more experienced people makes me feel inadequate and unwelcome. Oh, an instructor might be encouraging, but then I get grief from the other people in a class--because apparently I need to have personally trained with Bob Fosse to be in a beginner class (which is probably not your situation).

That and the people who have given me attitude or made audible comments because I'm not fit and thin already. I don't need that. I'll stick to walking outdoors and trying to do stuff at home.

I'm the biggest, least fit, least coordinated person in the classes I attend and have to do many modifications (I will manage a burpee one day), but I get nothing but respect from the others in the class and some of the long standing attendees seem strangely proud of the effort I put in and how much weight I've lost. I think you need to try a few other classes out to find a more welcoming crowd.

It's something I'm willing to consider. At the moment, I have a manageable routine. When the weather gets worse, I'll investigate my gym options.

But this is something I have experienced at several locations over the years and it tends to make me gun shy.

I'm really sorry this has been your experience. I wish you could give my gym a try; I love it for many reasons, but the welcoming, positive atmosphere of the group fitness classes is toward the top of the list. Zumba isn't really in line with my goals right now, but I go on Saturdays anyway because the vibe in the class is so great. It brightens my day. In my five years there I've never seen anyone be judgey, mean, snarky, or rude to a newcomer. I have seen a lot of morbidly obese people encouraged while trying out cardio kickboxing or Zumba, and they stuck with it for long enough to shed a lot of weight. I have seen my mom flail around in a Zumba class without anyone snickering or rolling their eyes, and my mom is about as uncoordinated and terrible at dance as humanly possible. I have twisted my ankle in class and had people who didn't know me stop their workouts to make sure I'm ok. There are places out there filled with kind, supportive people, and I'd urge you to keep looking until you find one.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

As I mentioned before, there are ways to cater to those new to exercise and/or weight loss without encouraging the judgment of others.

99% of the time, those "lunks" are just minding their own business and trying to get their workout in. They don't care that there are people at different fitness levels in the gym who are doing the best they can. Sure, there are bullies out there, as there are anywhere, but bullies come in all shapes and sizes.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    darrinsgt wrote: »
    My pet peeves vary

If the gym is crowded:
    + Between SETS aren't water break or Face Book/texting time.
    YES, power lifters use the 3-5 minute rest range, but I'm not referencing them
    + Super sets or Giant sets should be done during less busy times. YES, I like them too
    + Water bottle, ID, whatever does not save your spot while you go get a drink or socialize
    + Deodorant is not optional, cologne is not required...no one wants your sweat
    + Slamming weights, leaving your weights on, or screaming....

The gym isn't crowded:
    + Deodorant is not optional, cologne is not required....no one wants your sweat

This does depend on the gym you go to. If you go to a gym that specializes in a specific strength style, then it's time to decide if that gym is for you or not. Pet Peeves can help you find the gym that's right for you and/or what times to go.

What do you do between sets? I'm not a power lifter, but I've found 3 minutes of rest to be optimal between sets for compound moves and 90 seconds for accessory moves. Sometimes I like to grab a drink of water while I'm resting.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

As I mentioned before, there are ways to cater to those new to exercise and/or weight loss without encouraging the judgment of others.

99% of the time, those "lunks" are just minding their own business and trying to get their workout in. They don't care that there are people at different fitness levels in the gym who are doing the best they can. Sure, there are bullies out there, as there are anywhere, but bullies come in all shapes and sizes.

It isn't my word. It is a name PF adopted. They need to get rid of it.
  • DebSozo

My gym has world and Canadian power lifting record holders and champions. It also is welcoming for everyone and has people a wide range of sizes, abilities and ages. It's a YMCA.

Nice. We have one of those near us also.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    RGv2 wrote: »

It isn't my word. It is a name PF adopted.

And by signing their contract, giving them money every month, and frequenting their establishment you don't see how you're supporting the utilization of said derogatory term and caricaturizing the fitness enthusiast?

I did not know until today that said word meant anything other than one who grunts and throws weights. I love the equipment.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".

Why is that "admirable"?

And there are lots of places where an overweight or obese person can feel comfortable without spreading the (false) idea that people into fitness are scary and mean and act poorly. I've worked out at gyms (or health clubs) when in a variety of fitness levels, and always found gyms where people are serious about working out to be reasonably friendly places, some with atmospheres I prefer more than others, of course. I quit one once because the atmosphere wasn't really for me, but that didn't mean the people there were bad or deserving of mockery. It just wasn't what I wanted.

There is obviously a market for basic gyms that have cardio equipment and limited weight equipment, just like there's a market for women-only spaces, circuit training, group fitness classes, boutique personal training, 60+, etc. It's great that you've found a place you're comfortable, and I understand not wanting to be in an environment where you're distracted by others making loud noises. But the principle that it's somehow "bad" or "scary" rather than something that comes with the territory of progressing with weight lifting is extremely negative. I think it keeps people, especially women, from trying to lift. Resistance training is important for overall health, and we should be doing everything we can to encourage people to explore it. They shouldn't be afraid to go pick up a weight in their own gym for fear of a "lunk alarm" going off if they drop it while they're still learning.

My gym is brilliant in its layout. Weights are upstairs, cardio and group fitness is downstairs. There's lots of padding in between. People on the treadmills never have to be bothered by someone grunting upstairs, and its rare that a weight is dropped so hard that you hear it downstairs. Also, the functional training area is separated from the barbell area by the locker rooms, so if you're doing a dumbbell circuit or using the TRX, you never interact with the powerlifters. My gym is amazing at catering to all levels of fitness without excluding or mocking anyone... I feel lucky.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016

no

Why is that "admirable"?

There is obviously a market for basic gyms that have cardio equipment and limited weight equipment, just like there's a market for women-only spaces, circuit training, group fitness classes, boutique personal training, 60+, etc. It's great that you've found a place you're comfortable, and I understand not wanting to be in an environment where you're distracted by others making loud noises. But the principle that it's somehow "bad" or "scary" rather than something that comes with the territory of progressing with weight lifting is extremely negative. I think it keeps people, especially women, from trying to lift. Resistance training is important for overall health, and we should be doing everything we can to encourage people to explore it. They shouldn't be afraid to go pick up a weight in their own gym for fear of a "lunk alarm" going off if they drop it while they're still learning.

My gym is brilliant in its layout. Weights are upstairs, cardio and group fitness is downstairs. There's lots of padding in between. People on the treadmills never have to be bothered by someone grunting upstairs, and its rare that a weight is dropped so hard that you hear it downstairs. Also, the functional training area is separated from the barbell area by the locker rooms, so if you're doing a dumbbell circuit or using the TRX, you never interact with the powerlifters. My gym is amazing at catering to all levels of fitness without excluding or mocking anyone... I feel lucky.

That is great. Perfect solution. I would love your gym.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I go to PF. I like it because it's $10 a month, open 24 hours, and has what I need right now. I think at some point I'll need something more, but right now it works.

I've never heard the alarm go off. I hear a few dropped weights here and there. Other than being a little startling to me at 5 am I don't really care. It lasts for a fraction of a second.

The only thing that annoys me is REALLY LOUD TALKING to your friends that goes on for several minutes. If I can hear you talking over my headphones, my heavy breathing and my machine when you are 100 feet away from me it is too loud. It's just distracting. There are lots of appropriate places to talk but I'm trying to concentrate and yes, it startles me and gets me out of the zone. I just think it's a bit rude. A quick hello? That's fine. A little laugh at a joke? That's fine. A 10-minute conversation? I think that's rude.

Ok...one more thing...people hopping on the machine next to me and looking at what I'm doing. Please stop. It makes me really uncomfortable. I'm overweight and doing the best I can. Yes, my face gets red. Yes, my heart rate is probably much higher than what yours is while going the same speed. But please, I'm doing what I can to focus on ME during this time. I'm a mom and an educator and a wife and this is my only time of the day where I get to do something for myself. Please please please stop looking at me/what I'm doing/my machine's display.

I get this alot. Like I said before, if you can talk this loud or this long on a cardio machine you are probably not working hard enough.

Also sometimes people, mostly women, look at my program and try to copy it or race me. But guess what? I may be chubby but I'm fast and I can walk an incline like no one's business! I will take you out! I've been complimented on my endurance many times
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member

Why is that "admirable"?

Mine is good too, we have 4 floors divided into different sections so there are3 spaces for cardio machines (mostly in front of Windows), 4 spaces for weights (the serious weightlifters gravitate to "the pit") and a women's only option, a yoga room, a cycle room, a general fitness class room, and a cross training section with artificial turf...if you go during an off time of day it's kinda awesome! The most important part, though, is that you can choose to work out where you feel comfortable, either with the hardcore enthusiasts or the newbies.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    darrinsgt wrote: »
    My pet peeves vary

If the gym is crowded:
    + Between SETS aren't water break or Face Book/texting time.
    YES, power lifters use the 3-5 minute rest range, but I'm not referencing them
    + Super sets or Giant sets should be done during less busy times. YES, I like them too
    + Water bottle, ID, whatever does not save your spot while you go get a drink or socialize
    + Deodorant is not optional, cologne is not required...no one wants your sweat

The gym isn't crowded:
    + Deodorant is not optional, cologne is not required....no one wants your sweat

This does depend on the gym you go to. If you go to a gym that specializes in a specific strength style, then it's time to decide if that gym is for you or not. Pet Peeves can help you find the gym that's right for you and/or what times to go.

Unfortunately for me (and probably many others) I only have one choice for a gym that even has squat racks/benches/etc to train at that is reasonably close to where I live/work, and it is a community Wellness Center. Unfortunately there's not a lot of wiggle room for going during "less busy times" either, because of my work hours and hours that the gym is open.
    A powerlifting gym would be the optimal place for me to train, but the nearest one is over an hour drive each way. I can't realistically commit to driving two hours and then train two hours, 5 times a week.
    So again, I'll just continue to look at my phone/get water between sets and hog the squat rack for an hour.
  • DebSozo
    ogtmama wrote: »

Why is that "admirable"?

Mine is good too, we have 4 floors divided into different sections so there are3 spaces for cardio machines (mostly in front of Windows), 4 spaces for weights (the serious weightlifters gravitate to "the pit") and a women's only option, a yoga room, a cycle room, a general fitness class room, and a cross training section with artificial turf...if you go during an off time of day it's kinda awesome! The most important part, though, is that you can choose to work out where you feel comfortable, either with the hardcore enthusiasts or the newbies.

Brilliant. Everyone is comfortable and happy.
This discussion has been closed.