Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Nothing much. I mind my own business, and most lifters have mutual respect for what I'm doing and vise versa. The ones that don't, often back down from their behavior once they realize the size difference I suppose. I don't try to throw my size around, but I'm realizing that the young kids that get obnoxious in general are a bit intimidated by me so I guess gym etiquette is taught in some round about ways.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

Hygiene and consideration of others matter and will be noticed. This is true everywhere, not just at the gym.

I don't care what you look like, how fat you are, how you are dressed, etc., but be clean, be appropriate and don't get in the way of people who are serious about exercise.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    There's some evidence of people incorrectly associating bodybuilding with low iq's and I understand that PF's use of the word "lunk" perpetuates that myth, and can be considered offensive, but I would argue that if we were to try to measure who was on the lower rung of our social ladder, obese people or bodybuilders, I'd say it's easily obese people. If you could convince obese people to come to a gym without slamming bodybuilders, so much the better, but if calling bodybuilders "lunks" gets more obese people into the gym perhaps the end justifies the means. Bodybuilders have broad shoulders, figuratively speaking,

So it's just fine and dandy to put down a group of people who are tough enough to take it, as long as the fragile obese people are exercising?

Gotcha. Nice moral reasoning there.

Were it MY company I wouldn't use a derogatory term in my marketing even if it meant improved sales or profits. It's just not who I am. But I wouldn't sign a petition forcing PF to remove the word "lunk" unless someone could show me that it does nothing to increase the likelihood that obese people would go to the gym.

I can't see how my moral reasoning is faulty here, unless you believe that the whole "lunk" or "meathead" association with bodybuilders is increasing. I don't. IMO bodybuilding has become more mainstream and that association is decreasing.

• goldthistime
    Options
    Btw, I also agree with incentives to hire visible minorities. I tend to cheer for the underdog. Immoral?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    When the WiFi drops out and I'm in the middle of a battle on Boom Beach.

While simultaneously injuring people with my un-coordinated outbof time dancing whilst sitting on a machine whilst sweating all over a machine whilst farting and chewing gum.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    When the WiFi drops out and I'm in the middle of a battle on Boom Beach.

While simultaneously injuring people with my un-coordinated outbof time dancing whilst sitting on a machine whilst sweating all over a machine whilst farting and chewing gum.

In Planet Fitness.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    There's some evidence of people incorrectly associating bodybuilding with low iq's and I understand that PF's use of the word "lunk" perpetuates that myth, and can be considered offensive, but I would argue that if we were to try to measure who was on the lower rung of our social ladder, obese people or bodybuilders, I'd say it's easily obese people. If you could convince obese people to come to a gym without slamming bodybuilders, so much the better, but if calling bodybuilders "lunks" gets more obese people into the gym perhaps the end justifies the means. Bodybuilders have broad shoulders, figuratively speaking,

So it's just fine and dandy to put down a group of people who are tough enough to take it, as long as the fragile obese people are exercising?

Were it MY company I wouldn't use a derogatory term in my marketing even if it meant improved sales or profits. It's just not who I am. But I wouldn't sign a petition forcing PF to remove the word "lunk" unless someone could show me that it does nothing to increase the likelihood that obese people would go to the gym.

I can't see how my moral reasoning is faulty here, unless you believe that the whole "lunk" or "meathead" association with bodybuilders is increasing. I don't. IMO bodybuilding has become more mainstream and that association is decreasing.

Moving goalposts here. Now the bar for questionable ethics in the scenario is that bodybuilders have to be actively harmed in an increasing fashion by PF's use of the term in order for this whole equivalence scenario your presented to be wrong.

You're the one who said it was okay, bodybuilders could take it, so sure, put them down so that the obese people felt comfortable.

Sure, Plus Size models can take it, they're rich and famous. So let me call them some name for their clothing choices that might be unflattering so people of size who can't afford to dress that way don't feel bad about themselves.

Same difference, right?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Btw, I also agree with incentives to hire visible minorities. I tend to cheer for the underdog. Immoral?

Only if in the act of that incentivizing you're then discriminating against those without minority status. Then you'd have the equivalent of what you originally posted in your reasoning supporting Planet Fitness.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

I don't think he's saying its fine and dandy. Maybe the lesser evil.

I had no idea that PF had an actual alarm that went off.

Same! I always thought the "lunk alarm" was figurative. Its a pretty amazing revelation. I have so many questions... Can anyone pull it? Is it not more disruptive than the grunting/dropping? Is it a volume thing? An intimidation thing? Like, if you drop the 5lb-ers, would you set it off? What happens to the perpetrator? Do they just go about their business after public humiliation? Looking for vids now cause there is no way someone does not flip their kitten after being adrenaline-fueled and called out in a public space. Moral issues aside, its got to be a fascinating social experiment. :p

Anyway, my biggest annoyance would be people trying to talk to you with your headphones in.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

Same! I always thought the "lunk alarm" was figurative. Its a pretty amazing revelation. I have so many questions... Can anyone pull it? Is it not more disruptive than the grunting/dropping? Is it a volume thing? An intimidation thing? Like, if you drop the 5lb-ers, would you set it off? What happens to the perpetrator? Do they just go about their business after public humiliation? Looking for vids now cause there is no way someone does not flip their kitten after being adrenaline-fueled and called out in a public space. Moral issues aside, its got to be a fascinating social experiment. :p

Anyway, my biggest annoyance would be people trying to talk to you with your headphones in.

What if someone my size tripped walking through the weight area and fell down? Surely 180lbs hitting the ground would set it off? Wouldn't the utter humiliation of not only taking a tumble but setting off an alarm put someone like me off going back ever again?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

You're missing the point.

There doesn't need to be any evil in this scenario.

There is no need to other groups of people and pit them against each other.

Planet Fitness is preying upon the fear people have of being judged, so what do they do? They say yes kiddies, that monster under the bed is real, but don't worry, we don't let him in our house.

And Goldthistime thinks that's just fine.

I think it's a horrible thing to do to people.

• goldthistime
    Options

Moving goalposts here. Now the bar for questionable ethics in the scenario is that bodybuilders have to be actively harmed in an increasing fashion by PF's use of the term in order for this whole equivalence scenario your presented to be wrong.

You're the one who said it was okay, bodybuilders could take it, so sure, put them down so that the obese people felt comfortable.

Sure, Plus Size models can take it, they're rich and famous. So let me call them some name for their clothing choices that might be unflattering so people of size who can't afford to dress that way don't feel bad about themselves.

Same difference, right?

It's not a discussion I've had with anyone before, I'm thinking through why I don't find the use of the term "lunk" as offensive as others have.

I had trouble figuring out the plus sized versus low income example you gave me. Let's take away the plus sized part of it and ask if it would be okay to mock people who spend large sums of money on clothing so that people who can't afford those clothes feel better about themselves. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't be up in arms if someone else did.

The social underdog thing matters to me. I would, for instance, find it more offensive if a plus sized model were mocked for her size than an underweight model.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Watch these ads (from PF's YouTube channel itself, no less) and tell me whether or not you think they're promoting stereotypes and shaming/demeaning certain groups:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQfmpXsLV_4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn5mzEAMAkY

OTOH, In all fairness, I do like the response video from this gym (if we're going to say fair is fair):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBRG4RkE51Q

LOL! I love the Iron Sport Gym! Great dig at the end: "Come to our planet!"

I agree those PF ads are judgemental. I saw one that was kind of funny actually where a guy with an "Arnold" accent keeps saying "I pick things up and I put them down." I usually say that to myself when I'm at my gym.

So it seems PFs goal is to sign up wussies and keep them wussies. What happens if someone joins, works really hard and becomes successful beyond their wildest dreams? An accomplishment of which anyone should be proud. Would PF then give them the boot? It seems their encouragement is to pay, go and do half-hearted work with no goals and just keep doing that? Unfortunately one is opening up where I live - could hurt the place I like to go. :(
This discussion has been closed.