Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I went back and read through the other posts and I have to wonder how we are all defining "annoyances". For the most part, my level of annoyance is defined by whether my own workout is affected. What other people are wearing (eg track shorts) doesn't make the list for me. Noises, (loud talking, banging weights, grunting), at worst, cause a momentary distraction from whatever I'm doing. Waiting for equipment is annoying, even if everyone has perfect etiquette.

Must it sound like giving birth or passing an elephant turd though, really?

Twice at the gym yesterday someone dropped weights loudly enough that it startled me. I'd put it low on my list of annoyances, but I did think of it a couple times later that day, so it obviously registered. I would joyously trade you noisemakers for smellybellies however.

Smellybellies? I don't want to know.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    The main thing I'm really annoyed by is people who just want to talk and talk and talk (to me). I don't mind a "Hello, how are you?", or once another woman saw that I had been reading The Cursed Child script on the elliptical and asked me what I thought and it was fine. But if you want to have a full blown conversation with me while I'm trying to do my cardio or mid-count with weights...I'm not interested. Anything else might be a mild annoyance, but I work around it or zone out and ignore it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Ummm... You do realize these two things in your post are mutually exclusive, right?

eta: Saw your post later, so yes, do do realize that. Carry on! :flowersforyou:
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

How do they enforce that?

I mean there are sounds-- just not amplified so high as to disturb everyone.

Lunk alarms.

I go there too. I love the price, and that it's in between my home town and work town, and also 24 hrs.

I've only heard the alarm once since I started in October. and I think that feller like THREW the weights. I have heard people drop weights, but it's expected at times, so at my location, they seem to not been too alarm happy lol.

I agree with the not wiping stuff down as an annoyance. at PF, there's a ton of signs asking you to do so. But I've seen people not doing it. Which is why I wipe before and after. Because MRSA and influenza is real. ;)
  • DebSozo
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

Ummm... You do realize these two things in your post are mutually exclusive, right?

I know. I meant that this is the gym's policy.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

From what I've read that is one of.the most judgement places around.

If you like it though, great, carry on.

Sorry to hear that. Mine is great. Nice and quiet-- no grunting or throwing to distract

That's nice, it's "judgement free zone" is one of the most judgemental gyms on the planet. Funny how people ignore that....

Yeah. It has an etiquette list.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I know. I meant that this is the gym's policy.

Damn. I edited my response while you posted. :/
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    A few of mine are guys curling in the squat rack with ten lb plates on each side!! Pisses me off! Lol. And when someone ask you how many sets you have left you say 3 or so and they sit there and wait til you are done!!! Ughhh. You can't find a machine to use until I'm done???

Not sure why that's an annoyance TBH. If I'm looking for a bench and a person has a few sets left I might wait or I might wander off, but if it's just a lone person working out I'll usually ask to work in because my gym is always packed full and only two benches. Since I do a lot of heavy benching I'm doing that first but if it's an assistance exercise then I can switch up the order.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    Options

How do they enforce that?

I mean there are sounds-- just not amplified so high as to disturb everyone.

Lunk alarms.

I go there too. I love the price, and that it's in between my home town and work town, and also 24 hrs.

I've only heard the alarm once since I started in October. and I think that feller like THREW the weights. I have heard people drop weights, but it's expected at times, so at my location, they seem to not been too alarm happy lol.

I agree with the not wiping stuff down as an annoyance. at PF, there's a ton of signs asking you to do so. But I've seen people not doing it. Which is why I wipe before and after. Because MRSA and influenza is real. ;)

Yes. It is quite lovely and only $10 a month. People don't set off the alarm where I attend. I haven't heard it go off even once.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I really don't like when someone reracks weights on the bench press while I'm in the middle of a set.

Took me a second to figure out what you meant but I agree, you shouldn't be near a lifter or their equipment while they are mid set.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    When either one of the two Elieko bars are in use and I have to settle for a Texas bar. It's a really bad day if I'm all the way down on an Ivanko bar.

When one of the coaches heats up something that smells amazing when I'm already hungry toward the end of a training session and makes me hungrier.

But you gotta love those hard core gyms because people put their stuff away and you get to know everyone. If I had a good one in my area I'd probably to there instead but the closest one is over 30 mins away and I'm not really into driving an hour to workout.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Crop dusting....at the gym...like while there heavy weights up

How else am I supposed to get the squat rack to myself??
    :laugh:
    It's a great way to get out of the squat hole. :lol:
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    What is crop dusting?

Farting

More specifically, farting whilst in movement, like a crop duster plane.
    My only beef is people who complain about dropping weights or grunting.

I realize this is probably ignorance about weightlifting so I go to a lifting gym. Problem solved.
    Yep. I don't get it.

Some lift so heavy that grunting just 'helps', and for dropping weights? How else is someone supposed to finish a heavy as hell deadlift rep?

Another one I don't get is being annoyed with loud treadmill running. No one can run on the treadmill quietly, and everyone has a different running style.

Well there is a difference between dropping a deadlift and setting it down heavy. If it slips that's one thing but people who just drop it are getting three reds and should learn to complete their lifts. I think a lot of people just drop them to get attention, frankly.

I would agree, Unless you're doing Oly lifts, failing on a heavy deadlift, etc no need to drop the weights. I've had the opportunity to work out at 2 of the gyms that make most lists of the 10 most hardcore in the US and nobody was dropping weights to hear them drop.

I do Oly lifting and we have a platform but they don't like the load noises so I can't go as heavy as I like. I have asked the management to get padding to deaden the noise but so far they just complain when people do it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Sorry to hear that. Mine is great. Nice and quiet-- no grunting or throwing to distract

That's nice, it's "judgement free zone" is one of the most judgemental gyms on the planet. Funny how people ignore that....

All gyms have etiquette and it used to be enforced and everyone generally knew it at the hard core gyms. It's the general public gyms that you see a complete lack of etiquette because people either don't know it or just don't care.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Yeah. I know. It is the term that they came up with. I shouldn't use that word. Sorry!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.
  • DebSozo
    Options

All gyms have etiquette and it used to be enforced and everyone generally knew it at the hard core gyms. It's the general public gyms that you see a complete lack of etiquette because people either don't know it or just don't care.

Everyone knows it here. At least at the one I go to. No worries.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Yeah. I know. It is the term that they came up with. I shouldn't use that word. Sorry!

Thanks, signed a lunk lol. Note: I have nothing against PF other than they don't fit my needs so they wouldn't be my choice unless I had to use them in a pinch.
This discussion has been closed.