Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• The_Ugly_One
    The_Ugly_One Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A whole bundle of annoyances in one little story.

I had the PERFECT gym schedule. Wake up at 4:00AM, walk into the gym at 4:15 along with one or two early morning regulars. Then, one day, a group of screaming, cursing, equipment hogging, weight dropping bros just started showing up even earlier. I adjusted my schedule to try and get there first in hopes of getting at least one rack, or bar, or something. No good. They're there already at 3:45 (which is where I draw the line waking up early to work out)...and still there when I drive by on my way to work at 6:30. I left a note for management about their behavior, thinking I could work around them if they could tone it down and weren't so obnoxious. No response. No change. Bleh.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    What are some things that annoy you at the gym??

People who think they own the place when it's obvious they don't even lift

Guy training his gf who is all over her the entire time, we got it bro she's with you... no one cares

Mom who thinks she owns the place and wants to do giant sets and use 5 things at once - I've had to tell this person to *kitten* off at my gym, tell me you're on something and then take 20 minutes to use it cause you're doing so much ... *kitten* off

People who make fun of other people or new people - *kitten* off you're not cool you're a POS
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    When they dont put "lock broken" on the bathroom door (single bathroom in middle of the weights) And some girl opens door and loudly says OH MY GOD SORRY... exposing me to all the hot weight lifting guys who look over at the sound...as I pee.

Swear i never wanted to die more knowing i had to leave that room XD

I was about to post I didn't have any of these annoyances on this thread at my last gym when I remembered the lock on of the stall doors has been not working well since 2012. I complained about it a few times and they did something, but it then still needed to be fiddled with to actually lock.

I've just moved and am testing out a new gym and one of the two stalls there has a problem with the lock as well >.<

However, I won't be sticking with this gym after my week free trial is up - it's for women only and for many reasons I prefer coed gyms.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    People who are obviously trying to impress you...

There was a guy at my gym who would throw the weights down and scream "PERSONAL BEST!!!" after a set. And then write it down in a little notebook.

Dude, nobody cares.

Maybe he's just excited because he hit a personal best....? I write everything down in a little notebook. Lots of people do that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

-people who stand in the front in a dance fitness class when they can't keep up/have no idea what they are doing
    -people with no musicality, timing or ability to count who try to take dance fitness classes
    -people moving the wrong way in a group class...especially if they are doing this in my blind spot

This is why I don't take the classes or go to the gym. I've tried, but the attitude I get from the more experienced people makes me feel inadequate and unwelcome. Oh, an instructor might be encouraging, but then I get grief from the other people in a class--because apparently I need to have personally trained with Bob Fosse to be in a beginner class (which is probably not your situation).

That and the people who have given me attitude or made audible comments because I'm not fit and thin already. I don't need that. I'll stick to walking outdoors and trying to do stuff at home.

Most people at the gym really are not like that, fortunately. You generally will not be judged except by a few select, um, special... yeah... special... people.

Really? How many people have responded in this thread? More than a select few.

People judge people. Most keep it to themselves, but they still judge as this thread proves.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    People who are obviously trying to impress you...

There was a guy at my gym who would throw the weights down and scream "PERSONAL BEST!!!" after a set. And then write it down in a little notebook.

Dude, nobody cares.

Maybe he's just excited because he hit a personal best....? I write everything down in a little notebook. Lots of people do that.

This guy hits a "personal best" every day. And do you scream your excitement for everyone to hear? I'm sorry, but this dude is just looking for attention.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mainly the TVs while I'm doing cardio. They're always on some annoying channel. I wish some of the treadmills and bikes didn't face them. I practically stare at my feet for 45 minutes. I come to the gym to escape. The sports channels are fine. I almost stayed home in the months leading up to the election.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    my gym is at home...

Gizmo, the fat lazy cat that goes out of her way to lay under my feet in the middle of my workout

rainy weather that keeps me inside when I would rather get my walking done outside

when my darling husband fails to vacuum every day so I have to delay my workout to clean up the floor

none of them are horrible, but they are all annoying...

Oh god the necessary daily floor cleaning because three cats = an alarming amount of feline related detritus appearing overnight!

yes, i think this pretty much describes it.

0d22a018d6a4b0ae882d946ca88593a4.jpg
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    my gym is at home...

Gizmo, the fat lazy cat that goes out of her way to lay under my feet in the middle of my workout

rainy weather that keeps me inside when I would rather get my walking done outside

when my darling husband fails to vacuum every day so I have to delay my workout to clean up the floor

none of them are horrible, but they are all annoying...

Oh god the necessary daily floor cleaning because three cats = an alarming amount of feline related detritus appearing overnight!

yes, i think this pretty much describes it.

0d22a018d6a4b0ae882d946ca88593a4.jpg

If only it was glittery. Although, I have new glitter boots that are doing something similar, so the cat detritus is sprinkled with glitter!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    Mainly the TVs while I'm doing cardio. They're always on some annoying channel. I wish some of the treadmills and bikes didn't face them. I practically stare at my feet for 45 minutes. I come to the gym to escape. The sports channels are fine. I almost stayed home in the months leading up to the election.

My last gym wasn't so crowded so I couldn't ask the guy at the desk to change the channel.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bmayes2014 wrote: »

My last gym wasn't so crowded so I couldn't ask the guy at the desk to change the channel.

When the batteries in my remote are dying so I can't change the channel from the treadmill.

But it's in my basement so I can only blame myself. Wait, I can blame my wife. Yeah, that works.
This discussion has been closed.