Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    my gym is at home...

Gizmo, the fat lazy cat that goes out of her way to lay under my feet in the middle of my workout

rainy weather that keeps me inside when I would rather get my walking done outside

when my darling husband fails to vacuum every day so I have to delay my workout to clean up the floor

none of them are horrible, but they are all annoying...

My cat is not overly lazy but she can be highly annoying. She loves to sit watching me get things ready and then wait until I get started to want outside. Then she meows at me all the way out the door, like I'm inconveniencing her.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    Mainly the TVs while I'm doing cardio. They're always on some annoying channel. I wish some of the treadmills and bikes didn't face them. I practically stare at my feet for 45 minutes. I come to the gym to escape. The sports channels are fine. I almost stayed home in the months leading up to the election.

My last gym wasn't so crowded so I couldn't ask the guy at the desk to change the channel.

When the batteries in my remote are dying so I can't change the channel from the treadmill.

But it's in my basement so I can only blame myself. Wait, I can blame my wife. Yeah, that works.

I blame my animals for destroying my yoga. I get lots of attention at my (home) gym, but cat bum in the face is not welcome!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    People. Loud noises. Crowds.

So I take long walks instead.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I always say this on these threads, but it's people who use the treadmill right next to mine when there are twenty others open.

My gym has a long line of perfectly identical treadmills (same make and model, all purchased at the same time and kept in good repair) facing onto second-floor windows. There is no reason other than weird superstition or a desire to be annoying that I can fathom that would necessitate using one specific treadmill there as they are exactly the same both materially and as far as view is concerned.

Every time I post this, someone is like "but I always have to use one specific machine at my gym because _____" and I get that, but at my gym they are IDENTICAL (I know this because for the past year I have habitually used a different one every day if they're empty to ease my mind about the calibration/to see if there IS a reason people always do this to me) and so it makes me super peeved when someone parks themselves right next to me and I have to listen to them on their phones or smell their cologne overdose when I just want to zone out and enjoy my run with a little personal space. It's like bathroom stalls or movie theatre or train seats - whhhhhhy would you choose the right-next-to-someone option if there are so many others available?

There's one old guy who, for the past few weeks, every Monday and Wednesday morning at 7:00 when I am half-finished my run, chooses the treadmill right next to mine (no matter which one it is, even though there are usually only one or two other people in the whole row) and proceeds to walk for fifteen minutes while glancing over at my screen constantly and absolutely reeking of sandalwood. It drives me bonkers but I don't want to stop running, wipe the machine down, and go to a different one when I'm in the zone. Grrrr.

Maybe you should and see what he does. Sounds like you have a creeper.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »

-people who stand in the front in a dance fitness class when they can't keep up/have no idea what they are doing
    -people with no musicality, timing or ability to count who try to take dance fitness classes
    -people moving the wrong way in a group class...especially if they are doing this in my blind spot

This is why I don't take the classes or go to the gym. I've tried, but the attitude I get from the more experienced people makes me feel inadequate and unwelcome. Oh, an instructor might be encouraging, but then I get grief from the other people in a class--because apparently I need to have personally trained with Bob Fosse to be in a beginner class (which is probably not your situation).

That and the people who have given me attitude or made audible comments because I'm not fit and thin already. I don't need that. I'll stick to walking outdoors and trying to do stuff at home.

I'm the biggest, least fit, least coordinated person in the classes I attend and have to do many modifications (I will manage a burpee one day), but I get nothing but respect from the others in the class and some of the long standing attendees seem strangely proud of the effort I put in and how much weight I've lost. I think you need to try a few other classes out to find a more welcoming crowd.

It's something I'm willing to consider. At the moment, I have a manageable routine. When the weather gets worse, I'll investigate my gym options.

But this is something I have experienced at several locations over the years and it tends to make me gun shy.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have one!!1111

When you're trying to watch Outlander while walking on a treadmill, and your stoooopid Amazon kindle fire 3rd edition craps out during the video several times (or so you thought, it's a crappy tablet anyway).. you then proceed to tape your laptop to your treadmill and the video craps itself out there as well. You get annoyed and hop off the treadmill, then finally decide to watch the episode online...and then feel fine for the next hour while you enjoy the episode...
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Crop dusting....at the gym...like while there heavy weights up

How else am I supposed to get the squat rack to myself??
    :laugh:
    It's a great way to get out of the squat hole. :lol:
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    What is crop dusting?

Farting

More specifically, farting whilst in movement, like a crop duster plane.
    My only beef is people who complain about dropping weights or grunting.

I realize this is probably ignorance about weightlifting so I go to a lifting gym. Problem solved.
    Yep. I don't get it.

Some lift so heavy that grunting just 'helps', and for dropping weights? How else is someone supposed to finish a heavy as hell deadlift rep?

Another one I don't get is being annoyed with loud treadmill running. No one can run on the treadmill quietly, and everyone has a different running style.
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    my gym is at home...

Gizmo, the fat lazy cat that goes out of her way to lay under my feet in the middle of my workout

rainy weather that keeps me inside when I would rather get my walking done outside

when my darling husband fails to vacuum every day so I have to delay my workout to clean up the floor

none of them are horrible, but they are all annoying...

Oh god the necessary daily floor cleaning because three cats = an alarming amount of feline related detritus appearing overnight!

yes, i think this pretty much describes it.

0d22a018d6a4b0ae882d946ca88593a4.jpg

I thought this happened if you owned Unicorns? ;)
    @rainbowbow

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    i have been on the treadmill when the staff decides to start using the hoover and clean round my treadmill. so off putting when i am trying hard not fall off
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    question to those who are scared of germs at the gym. i hope you are not wiping your own face with the same towel you have been wiping sweat off the equipment. gross.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Crop dusting....at the gym...like while there heavy weights up

How else am I supposed to get the squat rack to myself??
    :laugh:
    It's a great way to get out of the squat hole. :lol:
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    What is crop dusting?

Farting

More specifically, farting whilst in movement, like a crop duster plane.
    My only beef is people who complain about dropping weights or grunting.

I realize this is probably ignorance about weightlifting so I go to a lifting gym. Problem solved.
    Yep. I don't get it.

Some lift so heavy that grunting just 'helps', and for dropping weights? How else is someone supposed to finish a heavy as hell deadlift rep?

Another one I don't get is being annoyed with loud treadmill running. No one can run on the treadmill quietly, and everyone has a different running style.

Well there is a difference between dropping a deadlift and setting it down heavy. If it slips that's one thing but people who just drop it are getting three reds and should learn to complete their lifts. I think a lot of people just drop them to get attention, frankly.

Well, yeah. I wasn't talking about intentional drops and I should have clarified that. Thank you. I agree.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    About the only thing that irritates me is when I head over to our company's gym and the weight room has weights scattered all about, plates loaded up on all the bars and the benches out in the middle. Regardless of how many people I've talked to about this and the signs put up about reracking the weights it still happens. So...takes me 10 mins out of my lunchtime lifting to get it straightened out.

But...they better watch out now because we're getting some camera's installed (camera's not because of that but because someone bent the locked cage holding the basketballs).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    question to those who are scared of germs at the gym. i hope you are not wiping your own face with the same towel you have been wiping sweat off the equipment. gross.

I'm cringing just thinking about that. In fact, I think I just felt a pimple developing simply reading about it.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I'm doubtful that anyone who has even considered the germ thing would be doing that.

My gym has single-use wipes available everywhere and I think that's pretty typical now. It's been a long time since I've been to a facility where they even have reusable cloths/spray bottles, much less require you to use your own towel...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    When people giggle to themselves so loudly you can hear through your headphones, so annoying.
This discussion has been closed.