Annoyances at the gym!

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I don't get the PF hate. But I do know chalk isn't a thing there.

It's not hate at all from me. I just don't like hypocrisy.

Lunk is a negative thing to call someone. It would be no different if I opened up my "gym" and put a "No Fatties" alarm next to the treadmills, but I still go on about "no judgement".

They should remove "that word".

Yes, and the alarms. I like to imagine a world where people can be held accountable on an individual basis rather than with some passive aggressive alarm that can be pressed. It's much the same way I am against punishing entire factions of people for anything based on a few people's disregard of rules.

This.

Also the type of people who would pull such an alarm are not the type of people I'd want to be around anyway. I get enough tattling from my 6-year-old. I don't want to have to deal with the same thing from a bunch of smug busybodies.

There is no alarm to pull at Planet Fitness. It's something in the floor that registers the hit.
    I've been at my PF for 5 months and have only heard the alarm once--following a really loud bang.

Maybe there isn't one at your Planet Fitness, but yes, they are out there.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    VersaGripps for the win :)

I have a $20 knock off, they have lasted over a year so even if they wear out soon I think I'm ok paying about 1/4 of what I would for Versas lol. Good product though, much better than straps!

VersaGripps and VersaGripp clones for the win :)

Better?

I'll definitely agree!

• Wheelhouse15

Lunk is a negative thing to call someone. It would be no different if I opened up my "gym" and put a "No Fatties" alarm next to the treadmills, but I still go on about "no judgement".

Yes, and the alarms. I like to imagine a world where people can be held accountable on an individual basis rather than with some passive aggressive alarm that can be pressed. It's much the same way I am against punishing entire factions of people for anything based on a few people's disregard of rules.

This.

Also the type of people who would pull such an alarm are not the type of people I'd want to be around anyway. I get enough tattling from my 6-year-old. I don't want to have to deal with the same thing from a bunch of smug busybodies.

There is no alarm to pull at Planet Fitness. It's something in the floor that registers the hit.
    I've been at my PF for 5 months and have only heard the alarm once--following a really loud bang.

They definitely exist. Look at the YouTube videos and you'll see a big red button with a sign.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member

This.

OK, didn't know that--when I got my tour, they said it was a sensor in the floor.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Okay, this isn't really so much of an annoyance, more like a "what the what, dude?" but....

do y'all have people that jog laps around your gym? I've seen two fellas at mine literally running around the gym. Around all those treadmills and ellipticals. I mean, do your thing dude, but it seems that it could be a bit unsafe, especially when they're in the weight area.

Okay maybe it is a tad of an annoyance, lol. Because if they knock into me, I might have to get sassy! LOL

I've only seen that at certain gyms that run cross training classes or have a track. That would be dangerous in many gyms.

Yes, I think it's very dangerous at mine (I go to the judgement free but you lunkheads better not push yourself too hard, lol), so it's not set up for anything involving such a thing.
  • Wheelhouse15

This.

OK, didn't know that--when I got my tour, they said it was a sensor in the floor.

That would be a big improvement. People here have reported about the strangest things getting alarmed at their PF's like people running too fast on treadmills. I think a lot of it has to do with the culture of the specific club for the most part.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    richln wrote: »
    When the first footman interrupts my cool-down stretching to request permission to halt the polishing of my fingerprints off of the silver dumbbells because the damn peasants are at the gate begging for food again.

What? The solid gold ones were at the cleaners?

Let's not be silly. Gold would make an impractical dumbbell because it is so malleable. Anyways, we are already experiencing a shortage here because I had the gold reserves forged into ammunition to ward off the peasants.
  • Hornsby
    It seems like floor sensors would be an EXPENSIVE endeavor, no?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    richln wrote: »
    When the first footman interrupts my cool-down stretching to request permission to halt the polishing of my fingerprints off of the silver dumbbells because the damn peasants are at the gate begging for food again.

Exactly this!

Seriously?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

I'm not into it either.

I am into making fun of their dumb policy of shaming fit people. You don't need to do that to make other people feel comfortable. It pits people against each other, and I think that's wrong. I also think it discourages people from progressing to the point where they'd achieve real progress with lifting.

You can still progress. You just can't throw weights down hard or bellow.

Which any heavy lifter can tell you is inadvertantly going to happen when you go up in weight. You can't put down a 500 pound deadlift like a teacup.

I can.

*buffs fingernails on chest

(just kidding. PR is still 425 because things got crazy over the summer and I wasn't able to work out consistently. 500 lbs is my 2017 goal though.)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

Yes, and likely unreliable.
  • darrinsgt
    darrinsgt Posts: 9 Member
    My pet peeves vary

If the gym is crowded:
    + Between SETS aren't water break or Face Book/texting time.
    YES, power lifters use the 3-5 minute rest range, but I'm not referencing them
    + Super sets or Giant sets should be done during less busy times. YES, I like them too
    + Water bottle, ID, whatever does not save your spot while you go get a drink or socialize
    + Deodorant is not optional, cologne is not required...no one wants your sweat
    + Slamming weights, leaving your weights on, or screaming....

The gym isn't crowded:
    + Deodorant is not optional, cologne is not required....no one wants your sweat
    + Slamming weights, leaving your weights on, or screaming....

This does depend on the gym you go to. If you go to a gym that specializes in a specific strength style, then it's time to decide if that gym is for you or not. Pet Peeves can help you find the gym that's right for you and/or what times to go.
  • JulieSHelms

I don't actually know. But I have a sensor at my house because of a home business so I know when customers come in. It's a thing they drive over that sets off an alarm in my house. It cost about $8.
  • Hornsby

I don't actually know. But I have a sensor at my house because of a home business so I know when customers come in. It's a thing they drive over that sets off an alarm in my house. It cost about $8.

Yes, that would be in one particular spot. I am thinking these would need to have a lot more area than just that. Otherwise, just move to where the sensor isn't?
  • JulieSHelms

Yes, that would be in one particular spot. I am thinking these would need to have a lot more area than just that. Otherwise, just move to where the sensor isn't?

It's supposed to be a mat under the flooring. I'm not having an opinion on this one way or the other. I just hadn't seen the button y'all were talking about.
  • DebSozo
    After reading through this, I got curious as to the difference between a gym and a health club (or fitness center is what I've heard PF referred to): (From Macmillian Dictionary)
    GYM: short for gymnasium--a large hall or room with special equipment for doing physical exercises
    FITNESS CENTER:--a place where people go to do physical exercises
    HEALTH CLUB:--a club where members can go to do physical exercises

I'm not really seeing a big hairy difference here in the terms.

I kinda think that they are all places to go to do physical exercises.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

This.

I would suggest the person giving the tour has no clue. A sensor in the floor would be cost prohibitive and would not pick up other "lunk like" behaviors like grunting.
  • DebSozo
    edited December 2016
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

I find it problematic to have as a business model. Essentially they are pushing the idea (and trying to convince people) that if they go to other gyms (which might well have more and better equipment and more opportunities to really learn how to lift) that they will be made to feel uncomfortable, that people who take weights seriously are bad and scary people. Basically spreading divisiveness and fear. I think it's disgusting.

I am not saying I wouldn't use a PF if it were the only thing I thought was reasonably priced for what it provided around me or if it were the most convenient thing -- for me convenience in a gym is paramount and I have very specific things I want and if it provided those I'd hold my nose and put up with it, maybe, if the corporate policy were not so apparent in the particular branch. Happily, for me, it's not an issue, as there isn't even one convenient for me at all (apparently my neighborhood and where I work are not in their preferred demographic, which is kind of interesting). But I am troubled when people (not you) use the negatives about the chain as promotional things, and I think it's unethical enough to profit off such a model that I'd personally think twice about joining even if it were otherwise the best choice and I would continue to speak against the business model when it comes up.

It's more like there is a venue for "ordinary" folks to work out. I think that it is admirable that an overweight or obese person can attend and would feel more comfortable at a place that isn't "hard core".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm very fortunate that I am able to go to a private (as in not open to the public) gym that is owned by my friend and his wife who are both trainers. It's a small studio gym and pretty much everyone who's there is being trained...there are only a handful of us who have "executive" memberships and can come and go as we please.

I often have the whole gym to myself or there might be two or three other people being trained...so basically it's like having my own gym, so nothing really annoys me at my gym.

I love it...I used to work with my trainer every week which is how we got acquainted and ended up becoming really good friends. I don't work with him often anymore on a one on one, but he's always there to give me a pointer or two and look over the programs I'm putting together. A huge plus is that he does Oly work with all of his clients so he has a kick *kitten* Oly platform and encourages that kind of lifting...and nobody *kitten* about weights being dropped because they know that's how Oly lifts work.
This discussion has been closed.