Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Look, that's Planet Fitness's (very successful) business model. No need to bash a poster who's a member and simply restating the policy. In addition, there's plenty of PF bashing threads where people complain about this business model to their hearts' content.

Bash? That's not a bash that's pointing out an obvious derogatory term that is meant to bash others. I think you have the wrong end on that.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Crop dusting....at the gym...like while there heavy weights up

How else am I supposed to get the squat rack to myself??
    :laugh:
    It's a great way to get out of the squat hole. :lol:
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    What is crop dusting?

Farting

More specifically, farting whilst in movement, like a crop duster plane.
    My only beef is people who complain about dropping weights or grunting.

I realize this is probably ignorance about weightlifting so I go to a lifting gym. Problem solved.
    Yep. I don't get it.

Some lift so heavy that grunting just 'helps', and for dropping weights? How else is someone supposed to finish a heavy as hell deadlift rep?

Another one I don't get is being annoyed with loud treadmill running. No one can run on the treadmill quietly, and everyone has a different running style.

Well there is a difference between dropping a deadlift and setting it down heavy. If it slips that's one thing but people who just drop it are getting three reds and should learn to complete their lifts. I think a lot of people just drop them to get attention, frankly.

I would agree, Unless you're doing Oly lifts, failing on a heavy deadlift, etc no need to drop the weights. I've had the opportunity to work out at 2 of the gyms that make most lists of the 10 most hardcore in the US and nobody was dropping weights to hear them drop.

I do Oly lifting and we have a platform but they don't like the load noises so I can't go as heavy as I like. I have asked the management to get padding to deaden the noise but so far they just complain when people do it.

Why can't they block out time for you like they do at swimming pools and so on. That way you could just let loose?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I really don't like when someone reracks weights on the bench press while I'm in the middle of a set.

How does that happen?

Like this, only on bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z33BNjRItRo
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Bookmarking this for the next time someone says "no one is paying attention to you" to a newbie worried about being judged at the gym.

What bothers me are people. I workout at home and I still get bothered by people.

I go to a "no judgment zone" gym. I don't like needless stress and high pressure and love the low key atmosphere. ETA: no lunks allowed

From what I've read that is one of.the most judgement places around.

If you like it though, great, carry on.

Sorry to hear that. Mine is great. Nice and quiet-- no grunting or throwing to distract

That's nice, it's "judgement free zone" is one of the most judgemental gyms on the planet. Funny how people ignore that....

Yeah. It has an etiquette list.

All gyms have etiquette and it used to be enforced and everyone generally knew it at the hard core gyms. It's the general public gyms that you see a complete lack of etiquette because people either don't know it or just don't care.

Everyone knows it here. At least at the one I go to. No worries.

I don't think I would consider PF a general public gym because they make it obvious they don't want the traditional gym lifter. They are more of a casual workout club in my view.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mjaykup wrote: »
    Crop dusting....at the gym...like while there heavy weights up

How else am I supposed to get the squat rack to myself??
    :laugh:
    It's a great way to get out of the squat hole. :lol:
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    What is crop dusting?

Farting

More specifically, farting whilst in movement, like a crop duster plane.
    My only beef is people who complain about dropping weights or grunting.

I realize this is probably ignorance about weightlifting so I go to a lifting gym. Problem solved.
    Yep. I don't get it.

Some lift so heavy that grunting just 'helps', and for dropping weights? How else is someone supposed to finish a heavy as hell deadlift rep?

Another one I don't get is being annoyed with loud treadmill running. No one can run on the treadmill quietly, and everyone has a different running style.

Well there is a difference between dropping a deadlift and setting it down heavy. If it slips that's one thing but people who just drop it are getting three reds and should learn to complete their lifts. I think a lot of people just drop them to get attention, frankly.

I would agree, Unless you're doing Oly lifts, failing on a heavy deadlift, etc no need to drop the weights. I've had the opportunity to work out at 2 of the gyms that make most lists of the 10 most hardcore in the US and nobody was dropping weights to hear them drop.

I do Oly lifting and we have a platform but they don't like the load noises so I can't go as heavy as I like. I have asked the management to get padding to deaden the noise but so far they just complain when people do it.

Why can't they block out time for you like they do at swimming pools and so on. That way you could just let loose?

They could, and if you get personal training you can drop away in their personal training room. The problem is that the women's change room is right below so they get complaints. I think they need to reorganize the room but padding would definitely help here. There are about 100 people that do some type of Oly lifting and over 200 that do heavy deadlifting so they are fairly tolerant but they still look at you funny lol.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that PF had an actual alarm that went off.
  • DebSozo
    Options

Sorry to hear that. Mine is great. Nice and quiet-- no grunting or throwing to distract

That's nice, it's "judgement free zone" is one of the most judgemental gyms on the planet. Funny how people ignore that....

All gyms have etiquette and it used to be enforced and everyone generally knew it at the hard core gyms. It's the general public gyms that you see a complete lack of etiquette because people either don't know it or just don't care.

I don't think I would consider PF a general public gym because they make it obvious they don't want the traditional gym lifter. They are more of a casual workout club in my view.

I do think that they are marketing to the general public. But they are trying to make it a more comfortable experience.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Using derogatory terms and then claiming others are judging, yeah no hypocrisy there.

Yeah. I normally defend that gym because my husband goes (convenient hours, yo), but that point right there irks me like no other.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    Re-rack the damn weights! Put equipment away when you're done! Clean up. Just the common courtesy/gym etiquette stuff.

Amen!!! And don't assume that because I lift, I am not also doing cardio. I prefer the outdoors to the treadmill.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

I do think that they are marketing to the general public. But they are trying to make it a more comfortable experience.

If someone is uncomfortable because there are people in the gym who are more advanced and/or fit than average, then that is the uncomfortable person's problem, not the fit person's problem. It is not his/her job to scale their fitness goals down just so people feel comfortable...

I don't have anything against PF in general, but I don't like their marketing strategy one bit. You can cater to new or more casual gymgoers without shaming those who are more hardcore.
  • DebSozo
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Guys, this thread is about annoyances at the gym. Why is planet fitness even in the discussion? They aren't a gym.

Right. We go to a pretend gym. It's really just a "club".
  • DebSozo
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Guys, this thread is about annoyances at the gym. Why is planet fitness even in the discussion? They aren't a gym.

I think the term you're looking for is "health club franchise"

8-things-we-learned-about-planet-fitness-from-its-ipo-filing-buzzfeed-news-1435093289535.png

And what is your definition of a "gym"?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

8-things-we-learned-about-planet-fitness-from-its-ipo-filing-buzzfeed-news-1435093289535.png

i didn't make that up. they even have a commercial saying "we're not a gym, we're planet fitness". that's THEIR saying.

just saying.
  • DebSozo
    Options

i didn't make that up. they even have a commercial saying "we're not a gym, we're planet fitness". that's THEIR saying.

just saying.

Okay. Back to gyms. Nice to know I go to a "health club".
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I don't get the PF hate. But I do know chalk isn't a thing there.
This discussion has been closed.