Annoyances at the gym!

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »
    People who throw the weights when they're done.

lol my wife actually went up to a guy and said "look if you need to drop the damn weights then they are clearly too heavy for you. Use lighter weights"

At my gym we had guys literally throwing them...like they broke the mirror and put a hole in the wall.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »
    I don't get the PF hate. But I do know chalk isn't a thing there.

Most commercial gyms I've been too don't allow chalk either.

</3 I don't understand this. It makes such a huge difference in lifting. Do they just don't want to wipe off the bars and plates with a dry towel?
    I once tried the same weight deadlift without and with chalk on the same day. I managed 1 rep without chalk, 4 with. It's ridiculous how much it helps.

I asked my gym manager about this. It's because some people fling chalk EVERYWHERE. One end of the weight room to the other, floor, benches, bars, etc. It's difficult to get out of the rubber matting and in general causes a headache for the workers.

I have a small tube of Beasty Chalk (liquid) and try not to get it all over. They've never said anything to me about not using it.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I use liquid too.
    One worker in the gym I go to told me to not use it but the guy was just a temp worker I think. Everyone's on a first name basis with the owner and he never told me not to use it but I use it more or less covertly just in case anyway.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

It's not hate at all from me. I just don't like hypocrisy.

Lunk is a negative thing to call someone. It would be no different if I opened up my "gym" and put a "No Fatties" alarm next to the treadmills, but I still go on about "no judgement".

They should remove "that word".
  • Baconk28
    Baconk28 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My big thing is people not putting weights/dumbbells away. Or leaving a stack of plates on a machine. If you can put them on and lift them you can take them off.

Also when people put dumbbells back in the wrong spots because they are too lazy to walk 3 feet. That is more just my OCD but still.
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    When the first footman interrupts my cool-down stretching to request permission to halt the polishing of my fingerprints off of the silver dumbbells because the damn peasants are at the gate begging for food again.

What? The solid gold ones were at the cleaners?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

I guess I'm the only one who likes chalk (in moderation). My gym allows it.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    VersaGripps for the win :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

</3 I don't understand this. It makes such a huge difference in lifting. Do they just don't want to wipe off the bars and plates with a dry towel?
    I once tried the same weight deadlift without and with chalk on the same day. I managed 1 rep without chalk, 4 with. It's ridiculous how much it helps.

It definitely does help! The problem with chalk is two-fold I think, 1) it makes a mess 2) it gets into the air and many people don't like breathing it in etc. Liquid chalk resolved problem 2 but is even worse for getting off the equipment. I wish there was another product that worked as well. I tried lifting pads but they aren't the same.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Okay, this isn't really so much of an annoyance, more like a "what the what, dude?" but....

do y'all have people that jog laps around your gym? I've seen two fellas at mine literally running around the gym. Around all those treadmills and ellipticals. I mean, do your thing dude, but it seems that it could be a bit unsafe, especially when they're in the weight area.

Okay maybe it is a tad of an annoyance, lol. Because if they knock into me, I might have to get sassy! LOL
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    When the first footman interrupts my cool-down stretching to request permission to halt the polishing of my fingerprints off of the silver dumbbells because the damn peasants are at the gate begging for food again.

Exactly this!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I have a $20 knock off, they have lasted over a year so even if they wear out soon I think I'm ok paying about 1/4 of what I would for Versas lol. Good product though, much better than straps!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Okay, this isn't really so much of an annoyance, more like a "what the what, dude?" but....

do y'all have people that jog laps around your gym? I've seen two fellas at mine literally running around the gym. Around all those treadmills and ellipticals. I mean, do your thing dude, but it seems that it could be a bit unsafe, especially when they're in the weight area.

Okay maybe it is a tad of an annoyance, lol. Because if they knock into me, I might have to get sassy! LOL

I've only seen that at certain gyms that run cross training classes or have a track. That would be dangerous in many gyms.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I have a $20 knock off, they have lasted over a year so even if they wear out soon I think I'm ok paying about 1/4 of what I would for Versas lol. Good product though, much better than straps!

VersaGripps and VersaGripp clones for the win :)

Better?
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

It's not hate at all from me. I just don't like hypocrisy.

Lunk is a negative thing to call someone. It would be no different if I opened up my "gym" and put a "No Fatties" alarm next to the treadmills, but I still go on about "no judgement".

They should remove "that word".

Yes, and the alarms. I like to imagine a world where people can be held accountable on an individual basis rather than with some passive aggressive alarm that can be pressed. It's much the same way I am against punishing entire factions of people for anything based on a few people's disregard of rules.

This.

Also the type of people who would pull such an alarm are not the type of people I'd want to be around anyway. I get enough tattling from my 6-year-old. I don't want to have to deal with the same thing from a bunch of smug busybodies.

There is no alarm to pull at Planet Fitness. It's something in the floor that registers the hit.
    I've been at my PF for 5 months and have only heard the alarm once--following a really loud bang.
This discussion has been closed.