December 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Well scratch that. In a good way. Test got squeezed in for tomorrow and we'll stay in MN through christmas into next week for consultation. Sat/Sun/Mon should be down days so I'll definitely be hitting the treadmill. Unless I convince hubby to let me go buy a running jacket and venture onto the nearby trails :p It's supposed to snow tomorrow.

There's snow coming on Christmas and could be a lot, based on thr forecast. Not sure how much Rochester is getting, but be ready. Hope thr test gets you all some good news

They were saying 3-5 inches Friday but now shows 1-3 so we'll see. We're mostly riding a shuttle and not driving. Sunday shows ice transitioning to rain. No shuttle on weekends though.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom You seem like just the person I need to ask right now - is there such a thing as a running jacket that actually keeps you dry when it rains? I went out for a run in the rain on Monday and have a stinking cold now, and I don't think that helped. I was soaked right through. My supposed 'showerproof' running jacket would be soaked right through if a kitten sneezed on it...

I just picked up a very light Columbia windbreaker / rain jacket at Dicks Sporting Goods. It's vented in the back, but doesnt have pit zips. I was on a budget and it was only $32 compared with other jackets for running that were $80 - $100+. Anyway, it's worked very well...took it out on a cold rainy day, and it kept me dry. It also has a hood that can be stowed away and I pulled it over a baseball cap so my face stayed dry too. I also used this jacket as a an outer layer in the cold weather, and it definitely kept me warm from the -2 windchill I ran in on Sunday.

I have one too! I love it. I found mine last year at tj maxx. It is great for misty - light rain conditions. @BEERRUNNER I think I got mine for about 12$ :blush:

On the cheap note- I got a non running rain jacket for 30-50$. It works great. And I can wear it even if I'm not running. (Because I get attached to my running gear and wanna wear it all the time) . I have a small and 99% of the time wear a medium. I'd go with a medium, if I planned on layering much under it. But the small is fine with 2 thin layers. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-womens-packable-rain-jacket

ETA

See @BEERRUNNER . Haha! I'm so glad my running gear still fits.. I swear I'm just gonna have to suck it up and run!

20161222_185411_zps00hort0i.jpg (blame static for "the Donald" hair)

Ohhh! End of month! SHOW ME YOUR "RUNNING" GEAR! Come on! Strike a pose!
  • bmelb1
    bmelb1 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Date Km Today - Km for Dec.
    12/1 6.17 - 6.17
    12/4 5.77 - 11.94
    12/6 5.34 - 17.28
    12/8 3.23 - 20.51
    12/11 5.76 - 26.27
    12/13 5.67 - 31.94
    12/15 5.7 - 37.64
    12/16 2.32 - 39.96
    12/18 5.82 - 45.78
    12/20 4.79 - 50.57
    12/22 4.15 - 54.72
    =========
    Goal 75 km

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    Resolution Run 5km - 12/31
    Polar Hero 5km OCR? - 2/4
    Tamarack 10km - 5/27
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    122216 - 9 miles on the TM tonight at about a 9:40 per mile pace. Closing in on 2500 miles for the year :)
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom You seem like just the person I need to ask right now - is there such a thing as a running jacket that actually keeps you dry when it rains? I went out for a run in the rain on Monday and have a stinking cold now, and I don't think that helped. I was soaked right through. My supposed 'showerproof' running jacket would be soaked right through if a kitten sneezed on it...

I just picked up a very light Columbia windbreaker / rain jacket at Dicks Sporting Goods. It's vented in the back, but doesnt have pit zips. I was on a budget and it was only $32 compared with other jackets for running that were $80 - $100+. Anyway, it's worked very well...took it out on a cold rainy day, and it kept me dry. It also has a hood that can be stowed away and I pulled it over a baseball cap so my face stayed dry too. I also used this jacket as a an outer layer in the cold weather, and it definitely kept me warm from the -2 windchill I ran in on Sunday.

I have one too! I love it. I found mine last year at tj maxx. It is great for misty - light rain conditions. @BEERRUNNER I think I got mine for about 12$ :blush:

On the cheap note- I got a non running rain jacket for 30-50$. It works great. And I can wear it even if I'm not running. (Because I get attached to my running gear and wanna wear it all the time) . I have a small and 99% of the time wear a medium. I'd go with a medium, if I planned on layering much under it. But the small is fine with 2 thin layers. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-womens-packable-rain-jacket

ETA

See @BEERRUNNER . Haha! I'm so glad my running gear still fits.. I swear I'm just gonna have to suck it up and run!

20161222_185411_zps00hort0i.jpg (blame static for "the Donald" hair)

u46nddh0ptb4.jpg

Ok @Elise4270 These pics are from last weekend. Pic on the left was last Saturday...in the 60's...sporting one of my fave running tanks that has a pic of Darth and says, "The force runs with me."

Pic on the right is all my layers for a -2 windchill, including my new Columbia jacket.

You know first hand about the Texas weather. If you don't like it, just wait a few days because it will change. (Except in the summer when it's hot, hotter, and hotter than Hell.) Lol!

Oh yeah...and excuse my crazy morning run hair. ;) Lol!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm sadly limited on running gear at the moment! I actually bought a cheap outfit at Walmart today because I want to run Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon if possible! I can't believe they had capris and short sleeve top - perfect for the sweltering hotel fitness center. I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow of my snazzy Walmart get-up. :#
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    ...is there such a thing as a running jacket that actually keeps you dry when it rains?
    I have (and enjoy!) this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B008F0JL3Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not entirely sure that it keeps me "dry" when I'm running, 'cause I sweat like a pig, regardless of the outside temp, but I wore it a couple times in the last week when it was various degrees of cold and rainy, and I felt comfortable, and didn't feel like was soaked to the bone. Left-handed compliment good enough? :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @Elise4270 I'm sadly limited on running gear at the moment! I actually bought a cheap outfit at Walmart today because I want to run Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon if possible! I can't believe they had capris and short sleeve top - perfect for the sweltering hotel fitness center. I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow of my snazzy Walmart get-up. :#

Walmart works! Like I posted- I hit tj maxx and try to buy stuff out of season on clearance. Oiselle online is the only retail price I'll do.
  • Strandbergm
    Strandbergm Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Update: 34.1/50 miles completed so far.

I'm battling a cold that's basically the plague right now but I think I can hang in there and get to my goal this month.
  • greenolivetree
    Options

Walmart works! Like I posted- I hit tj maxx and try to buy stuff out of season on clearance. Oiselle online is the only retail price I'll do.

I do the same! Lots of clearance.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

ETA

k6ea9sfdb9f3.jpg

Okay, so I don't run much in this jacket; but I do wear the hat to run when it's cold enough.

Rockin' that Boston jacket!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Sweet! We're like a mile from this store! Merry Christmas to me! v7xevmwgd6wr.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @greenolivetree Yay! You sure deserve a visit! I hope they have an awesome sale!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @greenolivetree - looks like a field trip is in order! Have fun!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Ok - here are the fun kind of Christmasy running pants I wore to the gym tonight along with my new New Balance Vazee running shoes. I had to wear them as my regular gym shoes are multi-colored and wouldn't go at all with the pants.
    bqvzhyhd3cug.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Strike a pose?

Haha, I've recently discovered the timer setting on my iPhone 7.

1F4AE119-D0BC-4390-A03A-F2718D17A1BA_zpsmp9q8z5e.jpg
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I have had a stomach virus the last couple of days (the vomiting kind). I am hoping to be able to run a little even if it is on the treadmill.

You all look great in your running jackets☺

@greenolivetree: Isn't the world's largest mall in Minnesota somewhere?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 and @BeeerRunner Thanks for the suggestions. I can't get either of your recommendations here in the UK, but it's good to know that there are some solutions out there. I just need to find them!

@shanaber Think I will have a serious look at the Nike one, it's not stupidly expensive either. Thank you :)
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    I have had a stomach virus the last couple of days (the vomiting kind). I am hoping to be able to run a little even if it is on the treadmill.

You all look great in your running jackets☺

@greenolivetree: Isn't the world's largest mall in Minnesota somewhere?

Hope you feel better, that's yucky :(

Yes, the Mall of America isn't far. We were about to go last time we were here (7 years ago) but hubby just couldn't tolerate it healthwise. This time with winter weather I doubt we'll go far all weekend. But one day! They do have one of those theaters here with recliners. We don't have that at home.