12/7- 3.01
    12/8- 8.04
    12/9- 5.0
    12/10- 11.0
    12/11- Rest
    12/12- 5.21
    12/13- 5.01
    12/14- 5.4
    12/15- 4.0 after a 30 min eliptical workout.
    12/16- 6.03
    12/17- 12.06
    12/18- REST much needed rest
    12/19- 5.01
    12/20- 6.17
    12/21- 6.7
    12/22- 3.0 plus 30 minute elliptical workout
    12/23- 6.27
    12/24- Rest Christmas eve activities
    12/25- 4
    12/26- rest day 20-40mph winds decided that. more time with family
    12/27- 6.09 then a 4 hour car drive home
    12/28- 8.01
    12/29- 5.03
    12/30- 5

Total: 151.47

Nominal mileage goal: 100 miles
    Real goal, get into the swing of Marathon training, and get used to doing 3 days a week of some strength/core while running 35+ MPW

Today's notes: Went totally off script today. Training plan called for an XT day, doing a Burpee Death Drop. I may do it yet, but I really wanted to run. Ran 5 mile progression run with splits of: 9:39, 9:38, 9:34, 9:31, 9:16. First 2 miles were really just to get into the run, so they were basically the same, but I really tried to up my pace for the second half. Run felt very good, despite the roads being a mixture of loose, fresh snow and ice.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    29---1.93 "running"

Yaaaaaay!!!!!
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December
    12/1 6 miles - 6
    12/2 4 miles - 10
    12/3 12 miles - 22
    12/4 REST DAY
    12/5 5 miles - 27
    12/6 4 miles - 31
    12/7 REST DAY
    12/8 3.5 miles - 34.5
    12/9 REST DAY
    12/10 26.4 - 60.9
    12/11 REST DAY
    12/12 REST DAY
    12/13 REST DAY
    12/14 REST DAY
    12/15 4 miles - 64.9
    12/16 REST DAY
    12/17 REST DAY
    12/18 REST DAY
    12/19 6.5 miles 71.4
    12/20 6.2 miles 77.6
    12/21 4 miles - 81.6
    12/22 8 miles - 89.6
    12/23 5 miles - 94.6
    12/24 11 miles - 105.6
    12/25 REST DAY
    12/26 8 miles - 113.6
    12/27 10 miles - 123.6
    12/28 4 miles - 127.6
    12/29 10 miles - 137.6
    12/30 3.15 miles - 140.75

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - yay!!!

Only 3 days more of streak! I will have to do a mile tonight when I get home. Was going to do it this morning but I was just too busy. No, it wasn't my fear of DVT.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Forgot to update with yesterdays run. It was a sad 2 miles. I went from layers to tshirt in the span of a week. I got overheated yesterday & my nutrition and water intake has been off.

78.40/100

I should hit 90 between today (if I can get out after work) and Saturday.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Woo hoo! I'm getting out of work early today and going for a run in the afternoon! Between today and tomorrow I'll definitely get to 90, yay! At least I won't have to do all 7.35 miles I need in one go. :smile:

In order for me to get 1,000 total miles for 2017, I'll have to average 83.3 miles per month. This is totally doable, providing I don't get injured. Bring it on!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Great job on completing the NB festive challenge!
    I don't know how to find the elevation numbers in the app, but on the web site you get to your profile with the stats if you click on your own profile picture in one of your activities, and then there's a column with numbers on the right.

@dkabambe Congratulations your 5k PR - a sub-26 time that didn't even feel like full 5k effort is awesome!

@Elise4270 Yay! Although you weren't really gone, you were still a runner in spirit :smile: But still: Welcome back!

@MNLittleFinn Even if you are happy with gels so far, maybe take something else with you when your runs start getting longer, just in case. I'm fine with my homemade honey-lemon "gel" mix up to a certain point, but I found that for the really long runs (3.5-4h in my case), I started craving something that I could actually chew. Not that the calories from the gel stuff weren't enough, I just wanted to have the feeling of really _eating_ something, not just swallowing sweet liquid stuff.
    ... if my training plan had "Burpee Death Drop" written on it, I'd prefer a run too B)

@lporter229 I didn't have to work today. But I still had to get up early, because my sister had "invited" me to accompany her to her office and fix some computer problems for her. Does that count? It was way to early to run before work, and now it's dark and cold and foggy outside, ugh.

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 Great to have you back soon, happy new year to you too!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a Garmin Forerunner 225 in the next week or so. Does anybody have one? Recommend it or not?

I've been using the pretty basic Forerunner 110 for almost 3 years now. I don't need something super fancy but am looking forward to having a watch with a few more bells and whistles.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Question for the experienced marathoners...I don't think I've asked this yet.... at what distance LR did you start practicing/experimenting with fueling? I saw that I have my first "longer than HM" run coming up in a couple weeks, and that got me to thinking about the additional things I need to do for marathon training/running, that
    I didn't have to do for HM training.

Later, I followed the example of a more experienced marathon runner I was training with, and switched to taking a gel every 5 miles. That subsequently got compressed to shorter distances at race pace; my ideal half now has a gel at mile 5 and a gel at mile 9 or so. I used 7 gels in each of the marathons I completed; I can't claim to have found the timing I like best for them. Certainly they come more frequently later in the race.

I'm a little late to responding in this, but this is generally what I follow as well for a marathon or longer training run. Sometimes I will stretch out the gels to about every 8 miles but have a chew or two halfway inbetween that. I've found that you need to find the right balance between not having too much fuel that you're overdoing it but not waiting too long to fuel that you're hitting a wall before the nutrition kicks in. I think this area is highly indivualized for everyone, so you just need to experiment and see what you like and how often works best for you.

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    7 miles, 61 minutes and 18 seconds. Dec - 182 miles.

And a shout out to the young lady posting above - Love that username! Go Buckeyes.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    12/2: .5; chest/arms
    12/3: 10
    12/4: .5; back/shoulders/core
    12/7: 2
    12/8: 4
    12/10: 10
    12/14: 2
    12/18: 8
    12/25: 3
    12/30: 2

42 of 80 miles; 2 of 7 XT sessions.

Back in the office today after a whirlwind trip to San Diego for the Holiday Bowl. My son is in the Gopher Marching Band and this was his last performance as he'll graduate before next season. It was great to be there with the whole family to enjoy the bowl festivities and a bit of that beautiful city.

A quick couple of miles yesterday -- it was very windy! Wow, I really haven't been running much! I'm so far off of my schedule it's not even funny. Lol.

I'll maybe sneak into the gym this afternoon/early evening, and then I'll aim for a slow 12 miles tomorrow (as per my nearly-forgotten schedule).

exercise.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    On the topic of testing fueling strategies during training runs, I am not suggesting by any means that this is the right thing to do, but I do not test my fueling strategy on my long runs. I rarely fuel on runs shorter than 16 miles. On my 16-20 mile runs, I usually only fuel once toward the end of the run. I'm not sure why, but I guess I sort of go with the theory that training fasted teaches your body to use its fat stores better. I don't know, it's just what I've always done. If I want to test out a new fuel, I do it on a mid week medium run, about 6 miles in. That way, if it makes me sick, I have not ruined my whole long run for the week. For marathons, I fuel every 45 minutes with 100 calories of fruit chews or shot blocks. I have not yet experienced the dreaded "wall". *knocks on wood* (and was almost too superstitious to even type that).

Also on the topic of fueling, I had never before this last October fueled during a half marathon. I did two halfs on back to back weekends in October and it was the first time I was really all out racing a half marathon. On my first one, I did not think to fuel, and I really started dragging near the end, so I thought that maybe some fuel might have helped with that. The next weekend I took a gel at mile 10 in hopes that it would get me through to the end with some extra pep. I did not notice one bit of difference. I was still dragging at the end. I finished the second half marathon one second faster than the previous week. Who knows, maybe I should have taken it earlier?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 thanks for the input. I know, in retrospect, that one of the major factors in my HM troubles was not fuelling enough before the race. Trying to ensure that does not happen for the full.

You will need to experiment to find what works best for you, as there is wide variation in what works best for different runners. THBS, I started with the GU advice of "15 minutes before," and discover that gels (GU in particular) taste much better mid-race when my body needs them than 15 minutes before. My ultimate solution to that was to go with Sport Beans for the 15 minutes before dose. They taste like jelly beans anyway, and 15 minutes before I don't have the in-race issues of too bulky to carry a lot and too dry to eat on the run easily.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 go girl!!!!

We are off to Skip's first indoor meet of the year....well and the last of the year ha ha since the next one is in 2017. She's only running the 800m, this is an unattached meet and she wanted to run in it because she hasn't run in an official meet all season. It's what they are calling a sprint meet so nothing over 800m is being run. So we are driving 90 miles one way for her to run for under 3 minutes :smile: This meet is so competitive that in her age group (15-16) she has the slowest 800 time at 2:47. Yipes. She said I don't care if I finished last, I just want to get my feet on the track so I'm ready to qualify for State over the next 2 meets. Good enough.

Have a great day everyone.

Ah, youth. I could only dream about that kind of time for an 800, but I like Skip's attitude of doing it even knowing she isn't terribly competitive with her peers. And good for you, supporting her efforts!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    Options
    And a shout out to the young lady posting above - Love that username! Go Buckeyes.

Go Bucks!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Oh, by the way, I got the P90X3 videos for Christmas. Has anybody done these? Any advice on how best to work them in with marathon training? I was thinking to maybe stick with the pilates and yoga until after my marathon.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @juliet3455 thanks for the input. I know, in retrospect, that one of the major factors in my HM troubles was not fuelling enough before the race. Trying to ensure that does not happen for the full.

You will need to experiment to find what works best for you, as there is wide variation in what works best for different runners. THBS, I started with the GU advice of "15 minutes before," and discover that gels (GU in particular) taste much better mid-race when my body needs them than 15 minutes before. My ultimate solution to that was to go with Sport Beans for the 15 minutes before dose. They taste like jelly beans anyway, and 15 minutes before I don't have the in-race issues of too bulky to carry a lot and too dry to eat on the run easily.

Thanks @MobyCarp Experimentation is part of why I'm getting started looking at fueling 5 months before the race, so I can, Hopefully, have something of an idea of what to do on race day. Only thing other than water/Powerade, I know that the mile 17 water stop has Cliffshot bloks, so I might try those out just so I can see if they are something I can handle, so I can take what they offer and hopefully carry one less gel or beans or whatever.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Timely topics of fuelling here! I've noticed struggling to get past 7 1/2 miles and that I'm flagging at 5miles, so want to experiment with some fuel. I run fasted mostly, and don't want to take on water, so will start with some dried fruit and go from there. Blackberry season worked well as I plucked berries as I ran!

My last run of the year this morning, meant to be 5 miles but got bored of the tow path and headed up into the woods making it 7miles. Thing is, I'm at a swing dance workshop all weekend so pretty much killed my legs and had to bail early for a test this afternoon.

Total miles for the month 38 ish.

See you on the flip side.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Timely topics of fuelling here! I've noticed struggling to get past 7 1/2 miles and that I'm flagging at 5miles, so want to experiment with some fuel. I run fasted mostly, and don't want to take on water, so will start with some dried fruit and go from there. Blackberry season worked well as I plucked berries as I ran!

Try this. Instead of swallowing your sugar sports drink, just swish it around in your mouth and spit it out.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/05/nutrition/study-rinse-spit-out-your-sports-drink_9869