Skim Milk or Whole Milk for weight loss?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2016
    I used 2% for months of this weight loss journey. When I started fermenting milk for kefir, I switched to using whole milk. Moreover, when I started making yogurt, I used Promised Land whole milk from Jersey cattle, which has a higher protein content than Holstein milk. Log your food accurately.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    I find if I have a bowl of cereal with while milk, I'm less hungry later. If I have a bowl of cereal with skim milk, I always want another.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Don't you know that any milk makes your body retain fat because it sends a message to the brain telling it you are a cow?!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    sjabeen2 wrote: »
    Skimmed milk has fewer calories, so if your aim is to have the least calories as possible, you should have skimmed milk. However, nutritionally, whole milk is better as it has more calcium than skimmed milk.

You said this literally right after a post explaining that that isn't true.

Skimmed milk has more calcium, not less. Presumably because the cream skimmed off is low in calcium, leaving behind the high calcium part.

I prefer whole milk, just because I like the taste, so I make space for it.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Don't you know that any milk makes your body retain fat because it sends a message to the brain telling it you are a cow?!

Moooo!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Neither. I use 2% Fairlife. More protein and calcium. Skim doesn't have the right mouthfeel, full fat has too many calories. 2% is "just right". It's like I'm Goldilocks when it comes to milk.

This for me too. Well, not Fairlife as it's not a thing here, 2% is what we in the UK call semi-skimmed or green top :)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's especially cool how even goat's milk does that.

I want to make a goat noise but don't know how to type it :( I love goats.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    We buy cheese from this pygmy goat farm and went to a tour and farm dinner there. They are so adorable.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    whichever you prefer, I go with the in between choice and use semi skimmed....
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Skim is actually pretty good in coffee if you use enough and microwave it in your mug until it's steamy. Pour your hot coffee over it.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    edited December 2016
    I personally like vanilla almond milk. Less calories.
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    There are some disadvantages to skim milk. For example, whole milk (or non-fat-free-half-and-half) help prevents coffee stains of teeth, while I understand skim milk does not (I heard that on "The Doctors" TV show a year or so ago). Also, from memory i've heard of studies saying people drinking whole milk with full fat rather than skim milk which uses a ton of sugar instead, lose more weight drinking whole milk. Maybe it's an if it fits your macros thing, meaning not simply CICO but does it fit your % carbs, %fat, etc. based on how you set that up. I've heard that fat doesn't make you fat, but i do not know. For reference, i drink whole milk or full fat half and half, and so far have lost 45lbs (not saying it's directly related). The reality is mostly i drink water, to be honest, which is the best (and tasties and most refreshing) option - i've even gotten to the point where i dip my oreo thins in water rather than milk!

Okay, begin arguing, i probably will try to ignore it. I fully expect ot be called a bunch of names.
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    edited December 2016
    No name calling, but it's simply untrue that skim milk "uses a ton of sugar instead." Skim milk is just whole milk with the fat skimmed off (well, I believe they may use a centrifuge process these days, but the result is the same). They don't add sugar.

Skim has (slightly) more sugar (from a quick google), i guess i was lied to by a family member and just believed it. It was a concern to me because i am near prediabetic range on glucose tests for last few years or more.

I am a fan of full fat, though. The brain is made up of 60% fat i believe (a google "confirms"), so given that i have brain health issues i favor fatty foods. If i can eat them/drink them and lose weight when i stay in calories, why argue?

-Rob
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    No name calling, but it's simply untrue that skim milk "uses a ton of sugar instead." Skim milk is just whole milk with the fat skimmed off (well, I believe they may use a centrifuge process these days, but the result is the same). They don't add sugar.

Skim has (slightly) more sugar (from a quick google), i guess i was lied to by a family member and just believed it. It was a concern to me because i am near prediabetic range on glucose tests for last few years or more.

It's a really bizarre thing that a lot of people say or believe. I have never been able to figure out why, as you can just read a label and see it's false.

Comparing the Horizon milk I mentioned above, a cup of skim has 90 calories and 12 g of sugar, whereas the full fat has 150 calories and 11 g of sugar. That's not because sugar is added, but you remove the fat, so probably get a bit more of the other stuff in the cup. (I've seen slight differences between brands, some seem to have more sugar and protein in skim, some don't, some have more of one and not of the other, which I think all just comes down to rounding, none of it is significant.)
    I am a fan of full fat, though. The brain is made up of 60% fat i believe (a google "confirms"), so given that i have brain health issues i favor fatty foods. If i can eat them/drink them and lose weight when i stay in calories, why argue?

I think that if you like full fat better or find it more filling, those are good reasons to consume it. Similarly, if you don't like it better or find it less filling (for the same calories) (which is me) those are good reasons to consume lower fat. I'm not anti fat at all but think there are better sources of fat than dairy (well, I definitely save room for real cheese, which I find a good way to use the calories saved from low fat/skim greek yogurt or cottage cheese, which I happen to prefer to full fat usually).

I don't drink milk anyway, though,
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    i prefer full fat milk BUT I use semi skimmed because it means I can have my milk but for few less calories.

full skimmed milk is like water though lol
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

-Rob

According to the USDA (rather than random google search), there is .02 gram -- that's two hundredths of a gram, or 2 centigrams -- more sugar in 100 grams of nonfat milk than in 100 grams whole milk, or .15 grams more in a cup of skim milk than in a cup of whole milk. So if you drink seven cups a day, you'd get an extra gram of sugar. Doesn't seem like enough of a difference to weigh into your decision about which to drink, even if you were diabetic, much less "near prediabetic."