Trouble with protein goal

Options
I recently started using MFP again to try to lose eight and keep tabs on my calorie/nutrient intake. I find that I'm struggling to reach my protein goal - by a lot. I like meat but am not a huge meat-eater, and while I can do protein shakes I'm not overly fond of those either.

I'm mostly sedentary but would like to do light weight training to start toning up again. Any suggestions?

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cheese, beans and legumes, nuts and nut butters, Greek yoghurt. There are plenty of non-meat protein sources.

As for the weight training, depends what you're after, you can do bodyweight through to heavy lifting and powerlifting. Convict Condition/You Are Your Own Gym for body weight, New Rules of Lifting, Stronglifts, Strong Curves for a progressive overload/heavy or something like Fitness Blender which has bodyweight and moderate weight strength training and is on Youtube so can be done at home. There are plenty of options.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    there are many protein sources. The obvious - beef, chicken, turkey, fish. Dairy - greek yogurt, eggs, milk, low fat cheese. Legumes - soy & tofu, lima, black beans, black eyed leas, etc. The point is, mix up your proteins and eat what you like. The protein quality is better with variety anyways.

Question - did you set your macros in MFP or are you using the standard ones? If you are using the standard ones and still having trouble hitting the protein goals, you really need to work on it a little. The MFP protein goal is based on the FDA minimums to keep an inactive individual out of protein deficiency. They are not really set up for active people, people losing weight, or people trying to retain or gain muscle. So, be careful there.

As for the weight training, "light" weight training is going to be pretty useless. I hate to say that, because any exercise is good exercise, but the benefits of weight training are based largely on intensity level. If you aren't straining and breaking down the muscle fiber, you aren't really doing anything and would be better off spending your time doing other things.

To "tone up" you need to eat your protein (minimum of 1g/lb LBM) and lift with intensity. There are a lot of beginner programs out there. 5x5 is good and popular and relatively easy to stick with.
  • penguinattackstudios
    Options
    Thanks so much Vintage, I really appreciate all the workout sources! I know there's tons on Youtube but it can be hard picking which ones to follow; I'll look these up when I get home.

Gaucho - If I recall correctly I believe I may have tweaked the standard for macros. I lowered the carbs and upped the protein.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i took a peak at your food diary - a couple of things that may help - i saw you had a cafe steamer for lunch - that had 19g of protein which is good; if you were to add a side of chicken or shrimp (3-4oz) that would up your protein by another 20g or so; simple things like that

if i use milk, i buy the fairlife milk with additional protein (and less sugar)
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    i took a peak at your food diary - a couple of things that may help - i saw you had a cafe steamer for lunch - that had 19g of protein which is good; if you were to add a side of chicken or shrimp (3-4oz) that would up your protein by another 20g or so; simple things like that

Fairlife is really good. If I remember correctly, it is not "added protein" but rather they do a separation process to reduce the carbs and fat and leave more natural protein in the milk.

Another good option if you have Krogers is their Carbmaster store brand milk. It is a Fairlife competitor and is almost 1/2 price. Actually, the macros are a little more protein heavy as well. I drink the Carbmaster typically. Fairlife tastes a little better though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Vintage, I really appreciate all the workout sources! I know there's tons on Youtube but it can be hard picking which ones to follow; I'll look these up when I get home.

Gaucho - If I recall correctly I believe I may have tweaked the standard for macros. I lowered the carbs and upped the protein.

Yes, you are at 42% carbs, 16% fat, and 42% protein. I love meat and would have a hard time doing that. I know lots of healthy vegetarians and vegans who eat less protein and more carbs than I do.

I suggest you retweak your macros to something more sustainable for you.

Also, you can make your fat higher. Mine is set at 30% but I probably eat closer to 35%.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    i'd also take a look at a couple of your food entries - you have a sandwich with turkey on it - but the protein for that seems really low
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Right after my morning workout, along with my breakfast cereal, I drink a 60g whey isolate shake. It jump starts me for the day, gives my muscles some much needed protein after my workout and keeps me able to hit my goal of around 150-180g protein a day. I try then at lunch to get another 30g, and at dinner to hit at least 30g, then with a mid-morning snack another 30g just to spread it out each day. But that initial 60g shake really helps take the pressure off for eating so much meat the rest of the day.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    what type of protein shakes are you using? as another thought - I do egg white protein (whey makes me feel icky) - but it literally tastes like chocolate milk
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »

Fairlife is really good. If I remember correctly, it is not "added protein" but rather they do a separation process to reduce the carbs and fat and leave more natural protein in the milk.

Another good option if you have Krogers is their Carbmaster store brand milk. It is a Fairlife competitor and is almost 1/2 price. Actually, the macros are a little more protein heavy as well. I drink the Carbmaster typically. Fairlife tastes a little better though.

i might have to check out carbmaster - I don't go to kroger all that often, but I have one by me
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When I became vegetarian I wanted to make sure I didn't go carb-heavy and researched a lot of sources of protein that I could supplement my meals with, without having to focus on a purely protein meal. My favorites:

Almond Milk - this has great bang for your buck in fat/protein ratio versus regular milk.

Avocado & Broccoli: I add these to salads to up the protein without adding too many carbs or fat (ie eggs/cheese)

Plant Fusion Pea Protein: the best protein powder I've found, 1 scoop 20+ grams of protein, and it tastes good!

Gardein brand meatballs: If I'm having pasta, I'll use these to add some low-cal protein.

Gimmelean sausage: I crumble this into sauces, make patties, mix into cassaroles etc.

Tempeh: I mostly put this into stirfry, it's delicious when prepared right.

Eggs: I will drop an egg into hot soup, add it to stir fry, or mix it with rice -> it's like a protein shot, and I'll take the added fat over added carbs any day

Anyway, that's how I supplement to try to hit my protein goal. It hard to do when you have so few calories to work with (I shoot for 1,300), and you are trying to get your A1c down-- that's why I focus on low carb pairings, instead of other obvious choices like beans/cheese/grains.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I recently started using MFP again to try to lose eight and keep tabs on my calorie/nutrient intake. I find that I'm struggling to reach my protein goal - by a lot. I like meat but am not a huge meat-eater, and while I can do protein shakes I'm not overly fond of those either.

I'm mostly sedentary but would like to do light weight training to start toning up again. Any suggestions?

What you are describing sounds like a fat loss plan where you want to minimize muscle loss and have some fun lifting weights. It does not take extraordinary consumption of protein to accomplish that goal. These two articles cover the issue of protein consumption and include citations:

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
    https://breakingmuscle.com/fuel/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

Also, "light" weightlifting is not pointless at all. No, you aren't going to have MASSIVE GAINZ. On the other hand, benefits of weight lifting at "less than high intensity" still include:

-Being active! (burning calories)
    -Improving bone density
    -Decreasing blood pressure
    -strengthening muscle groups that help avoid injury (better balance, stronger back/core)
    -mental health benefits
    -developing safe lifting techniques/habits if one wanted to lift heavier in the future

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    When I became vegetarian I wanted to make sure I didn't go carb-heavy and researched a lot of sources of protein that I could supplement my meals with, without having to focus on a purely protein meal. My favorites:

Almond Milk - this has great bang for your buck in fat/protein ratio versus regular milk.

Almond milk is a poor source of protein compared to cow's milk. The fat/protein ratio will vary depending on what type of cow's milk you get.

"According to the USDA, while almond milk has only 1 gram of protein per cup, cow’s milk has 8."

http://www.livescience.com/51695-almond-milk-nutrition.html
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Almond milk is a poor source of protein compared to cow's milk. The fat/protein ratio will vary depending on what type of cow's milk you get.

"According to the USDA, while almond milk has only 1 gram of protein per cup, cow’s milk has 8."

Sure if you're comparing strictly replacing milk with almond milk, which isn't what I said: I said these are things supplementing the diet, not replacing. I don't drink milk, so it is entirely replaced for me- but I meant here supplementing, as in "Hmm, I'm a little short of my protein goal, but I'm almost out of calories, what shall I do?" Especially something to keep in mind if you're trying to lower glucose. I suppose you could say soy milk is a better replacement or supplement, but that one didn't occur to me since I'm not supposed to have soy and would rather eat it than drink it.

For that matter you could say adding broccoli and avocado to a salad won't add as much protein as chicken would--- for someone who doesn't want to eat meat though, it's a valuable supplement.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time eating enough protein at first- I was only eating around 20 or 30 grams a day when I first started tracking which isn't even enough for a sedentary female, the DSV is 46 grams and you need more when in a deficit and if you are active and lifting weights which I am. My proper protein intake is more like 100 grams!

I can't stomach eating more than about 2 ounces of meat at a time usually, except for ground meat like ground turkey or hamburger which I can eat about 3 ounces of at a sitting, so I started including more Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shakes, and protein bars into my diet to make up the difference.

For making protein shakes yummy here's a good tip- get a good whey protein concentrate protein powder, this is the most tasty form of protein. I like chocolate flavor Tera's Whey which is organic, grass fed, has minimal additives, and is sweetened with stevia. Use coconut water as a mixer instead of plain water or milk- this makes it a little sweeter, adds natural electrolytes & vitamins, and masks the aftertaste from the stevia! So good!! I seriously drink one as a treat it tastes so good.

For protein treats try the chocolate mint Builders Bar by Clif, it's so good and has 20 grams of protein!! It has a lot of sugar too but it's not too hard to fit into my daily allowance. Also try Lenny & Larry's protein cookies - i mean if you have a sweet tooth and are going to eat cookies anyways, why not make it a protein cookie? Try microwaving the cookie for like 10 or 15 seconds before eating- it makes it taste like it's a warm right out of the oven cookie!

Don't bother with Quest bars, those are disgusting. And don't get whey protein hydrolysate for your protein powder, that's the least tasty form of whey. Also the plant based protein powders are horrible! Gritty texture and terrible taste- so I'd skip those as well.

Also be aware your tummy will hate you at first when you increase your protein... at least mine did. Make sure you get lots of fiber in your diet and give it time too- your flora and digestion will eventually adjust. And it's totally worth it by the way- since increasing my protein intake I have a LOT more energy, feel stronger, am making a lot of strength progress with my weight lifting and maintaining muscle very well- almost all of the weight I lose now is body fat! Getting enough protein is also important for your immune system so you might notice you get sick less often.

Good luck!
  • deannalfisher
    Options

Sure if you're comparing strictly replacing milk with almond milk, which isn't what I said: I said these are things supplementing the diet, not replacing. I don't drink milk, so it is entirely replaced for me- but I meant here supplementing, as in "Hmm, I'm a little short of my protein goal, but I'm almost out of calories, what shall I do?" Especially something to keep in mind if you're trying to lower glucose. I suppose you could say soy milk is a better replacement or supplement, but that one didn't occur to me since I'm not supposed to have soy and would rather eat it than drink it.

For that matter you could say adding broccoli and avocado to a salad won't add as much protein as chicken would--- for someone who doesn't want to eat meat though, it's a valuable supplement.

you'd be better to eat almonds than drink almond milk if you truely wanted the protein benefits from it (8oz of almond milk has 1g of protein; 6oz of almonds has 6 grams
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yes, you are at 42% carbs, 16% fat, and 42% protein. I love meat and would have a hard time doing that. I know lots of healthy vegetarians and vegans who eat less protein and more carbs than I do.

I suggest you retweak your macros to something more sustainable for you.

Also, you can make your fat higher. Mine is set at 30% but I probably eat closer to 35%.

That's overkill right there...
  • Mary_Anastasia
    edited December 2016
    Options

you'd be better to eat almonds than drink almond milk if you truely wanted the protein benefits from it (8oz of almond milk has 1g of protein; 6oz of almonds has 6 grams

Oh my word 6oz of almonds also has most of my entire day's calories. That's a lotta nuts. Again, almond milk (unsweet of course) is good to get a couple grams of protein -without- a ton of calories or carbs or sugar etc. (...plus I can't stand almonds personally, yuck)
  • GauchoMark
    Options

or... you could just drink a gallon of almond milk! Who eats 6 oz of almonds?!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Avocado & Broccoli: I add these to salads to up the protein without adding too many carbs or fat (ie eggs/cheese)

Plant Fusion Pea Protein: the best protein powder I've found, 1 scoop 20+ grams of protein, and it tastes good!

Gardein brand meatballs: If I'm having pasta, I'll use these to add some low-cal protein.

Gimmelean sausage: I crumble this into sauces, make patties, mix into cassaroles etc.

Tempeh: I mostly put this into stirfry, it's delicious when prepared right.

Eggs: I will drop an egg into hot soup, add it to stir fry, or mix it with rice -> it's like a protein shot, and I'll take the added fat over added carbs any day

Anyway, that's how I supplement to try to hit my protein goal. It hard to do when you have so few calories to work with (I shoot for 1,300), and you are trying to get your A1c down-- that's why I focus on low carb pairings, instead of other obvious choices like beans/cheese/grains.

I'm not quite understanding how Almond milk with 1 gram of protein per 8 ounce cup is a bang for your buck protein wise.