Trouble with protein goal

2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, how many grams are you aiming for, and what's your calorie goal?

I do find that a serving or two of chicken or fish is necessary for me to get to the number I want. But other stuff that helps me a lot is greek yogurt, lentils, eggs, soy, and string cheese.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When I became vegetarian I wanted to make sure I didn't go carb-heavy and researched a lot of sources of protein that I could supplement my meals with, without having to focus on a purely protein meal. My favorites:

Almond Milk - this has great bang for your buck in fat/protein ratio versus regular milk.

Avocado & Broccoli: I add these to salads to up the protein without adding too many carbs or fat (ie eggs/cheese)

Plant Fusion Pea Protein: the best protein powder I've found, 1 scoop 20+ grams of protein, and it tastes good!

Gardein brand meatballs: If I'm having pasta, I'll use these to add some low-cal protein.

Gimmelean sausage: I crumble this into sauces, make patties, mix into cassaroles etc.

Tempeh: I mostly put this into stirfry, it's delicious when prepared right.

Eggs: I will drop an egg into hot soup, add it to stir fry, or mix it with rice -> it's like a protein shot, and I'll take the added fat over added carbs any day

Anyway, that's how I supplement to try to hit my protein goal. It hard to do when you have so few calories to work with (I shoot for 1,300), and you are trying to get your A1c down-- that's why I focus on low carb pairings, instead of other obvious choices like beans/cheese/grains.

I'm not quite understanding how Almond milk with 1 gram of protein per 8 ounce cup is a bang for your buck protein wise.

If you can't have a cup of milk because of calorie or carb limits. Doesn't almond milk have more protein than water or soda? Because again, I said as a supplement in this case, as a regular old drink, not as a replacement for milk. As in "I've already had my full meal, but it was short a little protein, I need to add something to bring it up a notch"

I'd rather drink a quart of almond milk throughout the day for 4g protein and 120calories than have to accommodate for the sugar from cow's milk. And if it cuts back on my filling that space with soda all the better.
    I also mentioned in hindsight that soymilk is probably a better example, if you can have soy :/ It's more comparable to cow's milk if you're looking at replacing it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    When I became vegetarian I wanted to make sure I didn't go carb-heavy and researched a lot of sources of protein that I could supplement my meals with, without having to focus on a purely protein meal. My favorites:

Almond Milk - this has great bang for your buck in fat/protein ratio versus regular milk.

Almond milk is a poor source of protein compared to cow's milk. The fat/protein ratio will vary depending on what type of cow's milk you get.

"According to the USDA, while almond milk has only 1 gram of protein per cup, cow’s milk has 8."

http://www.livescience.com/51695-almond-milk-nutrition.html

Sure if you're comparing strictly replacing milk with almond milk, which isn't what I said: I said these are things supplementing the diet, not replacing. I don't drink milk, so it is entirely replaced for me- but I meant here supplementing, as in "Hmm, I'm a little short of my protein goal, but I'm almost out of calories, what shall I do?" Especially something to keep in mind if you're trying to lower glucose. I suppose you could say soy milk is a better replacement or supplement, but that one didn't occur to me since I'm not supposed to have soy and would rather eat it than drink it.

For that matter you could say adding broccoli and avocado to a salad won't add as much protein as chicken would--- for someone who doesn't want to eat meat though, it's a valuable supplement.

Understand you are a vegetarian, that's fine, your choice. But to imply almond milk, in any context is a good protein source compared to cow's milk is misleading.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    edited December 2016

Almond milk is a poor source of protein compared to cow's milk. The fat/protein ratio will vary depending on what type of cow's milk you get.

"According to the USDA, while almond milk has only 1 gram of protein per cup, cow’s milk has 8."

Sure if you're comparing strictly replacing milk with almond milk, which isn't what I said: I said these are things supplementing the diet, not replacing. I don't drink milk, so it is entirely replaced for me- but I meant here supplementing, as in "Hmm, I'm a little short of my protein goal, but I'm almost out of calories, what shall I do?" Especially something to keep in mind if you're trying to lower glucose. I suppose you could say soy milk is a better replacement or supplement, but that one didn't occur to me since I'm not supposed to have soy and would rather eat it than drink it.

For that matter you could say adding broccoli and avocado to a salad won't add as much protein as chicken would--- for someone who doesn't want to eat meat though, it's a valuable supplement.

Understand you are a vegetarian, that's fine, your choice. But to imply almond milk, in any context is a good protein source compared to cow's milk is misleading.

I think to imply almond milk is a good protein source full stop is misleading. 170g of 0% fat Greek Yoghurt is 97 calories and 17.5g of protein! I know what I'd be reaching for. Also, what's this weird obsession with milk being high in sugar? I'm not dissing almond milk as a dairy free alternative, I use it in protein shakes if I'm really trying to curb the calories but it's not a good protein rich switch to make for anything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited December 2016

Avocado & Broccoli: I add these to salads to up the protein without adding too many carbs or fat (ie eggs/cheese)

Plant Fusion Pea Protein: the best protein powder I've found, 1 scoop 20+ grams of protein, and it tastes good!

Gardein brand meatballs: If I'm having pasta, I'll use these to add some low-cal protein.

Gimmelean sausage: I crumble this into sauces, make patties, mix into cassaroles etc.

Eggs: I will drop an egg into hot soup, add it to stir fry, or mix it with rice -> it's like a protein shot, and I'll take the added fat over added carbs any day

Anyway, that's how I supplement to try to hit my protein goal. It hard to do when you have so few calories to work with (I shoot for 1,300), and you are trying to get your A1c down-- that's why I focus on low carb pairings, instead of other obvious choices like beans/cheese/grains.

I'm not quite understanding how Almond milk with 1 gram of protein per 8 ounce cup is a bang for your buck protein wise.

If you can't have a cup of milk because of calorie or carb limits. Doesn't almond milk have more protein than water or soda? Because again, I said as a supplement in this case, as a regular old drink, not as a replacement for milk. As in "I've already had my full meal, but it was short a little protein, I need to add something to bring it up a notch"

I'd rather drink a quart of almond milk throughout the day for 4g protein and 120calories than have to accommodate for the sugar from cow's milk. And if it cuts back on my filling that space with soda all the better.
    I also mentioned in hindsight that soymilk is probably a better example, if you can have soy :/ It's more comparable to cow's milk if you're looking at replacing it.

The OP is trying to hit 42% of her diet in protein...that's a *kitten* ton of protein (and overkill IMO)...but with that kind of target, 4 grams of protein from a quart of almond milk is barely going to make a dent...sure it'll add some to the mix, but with that kind of protein target, you're talking about nomming on meat, egg whites, Greek yogurt, and supplementation to get there.

To put it into perspective, If I was trying to get 42% protein (which I would never do), that would be about 250 grams of protein...a quart of almond milk isn't going to give me any bang for anything...
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    OP, have you tried an unflavored whey isolate? I like Isopure because I can mix it in with anything, from chocolate milk and coffee to oatmeal, to cooked foods for extra protein.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, how many grams are you aiming for, and what's your calorie goal?

I do find that a serving or two of chicken or fish is necessary for me to get to the number I want. But other stuff that helps me a lot is greek yogurt, lentils, eggs, soy, and string cheese.

So now that I'm on the website and can see your diary - you are aiming for 144g on 1,650 cals. That's a lot of protein! If you like eating that much protein then go for it, but if you're struggling, just lower your protein goal a little. My goal is 100g, and I don't always make it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member

A cup of skim milk is 90 calories and 8g protein. Twice the protein and less calories, not to mention much lower cost than a quart of almond milk.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    GauchoMark wrote: »

you'd be better to eat almonds than drink almond milk if you truely wanted the protein benefits from it (8oz of almond milk has 1g of protein; 6oz of almonds has 6 grams

or... you could just drink a gallon of almond milk! Who eats 6 oz of almonds?!

snacking during the day pre-ETP I easily could, but then I love almonds!

let's flip it - 1g of protein in almond milk = 1oz of almonds (roughly math)...that's about 14 almonds
  • Wow thanks so much for all the great responses!! To go a bit further with info, so far I've found that I really like these:

Bolthouse Farms - Blende Coffee Protein Plus, 11 oz.
    Yoplait Greek 100 Protein - Apple Pie, 150 gram

Which are both really good with protein, I may incorporate this more into my weekly diet. Also Mary_Anastasia, I love Almond milk! I'm lactose intolerant - not terrible but it is uncomfortable so Almond milk is my main milk substitute. Courtneyfabulous - those are some good alternatives I'll be looking into as well.

After seeing all the comments I think I've come to the conclusion that I have my protein set to high. That being said I think I may need some guidance in this are as well. I currently weigh 172lb and am 5'5" with a sedentary lifestyle (2 full time job's will do that to ya); MFP suggested I set my calorie intake to 1650 and, with the exception of Thanksgiving weekend, seem to hit around my intake so far. Would you guys suggest lowering my calorie intake? My goal weight is 132 which is a healthy weight for me.
  • deannalfisher
    TDEEcalculator gives you 1819 for maintenance calories (maintain current calories) - so if you have a goal of about .5lb a week, then 1650 makes some sense...

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=27&lbs=172&in=65&act=1.2&f=1
  • VintageFeline
    Your goal seems fine, you're just a little heavier than me and same height. I aim for about 100g of protein a day but I strength train and probably have higher lean mass than the average female (I have a sports/dance past).
    TDEEcalculator gives you 1819 for maintenance calories (maintain current calories) - so if you have a goal of about .5lb a week, then 1650 makes some sense...

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=27&lbs=172&in=65&act=1.2&f=1

That's at least a 400 calorie deficit which is more than 0.5lbs per week. And of course all calculators are estimates. You adjust with real world results. I lose 1lb per week at about 1380 (excluding purposeful exercise) and i couldn't be more sedentary ignoring my exercise if I tried.
  • deannalfisher
    Your goal seems fine, you're just a little heavier than me and same height. I aim for about 100g of protein a day but I strength train and probably have higher lean mass than the average female (I have a sports/dance past).

That's at least a 400 calorie deficit which is more than 0.5lbs per week. And of course all calculators are estimates. You adjust with real world results. I lose 1lb per week at about 1380 (excluding purposeful exercise) and i couldn't be more sedentary ignoring my exercise if I tried.

1819 for maintenance - 1650 = 169 difference between maintenance calories and currently eating...not 400, so i'm confused as to your comment about at least a 400 cal deficit

but as others have pointed out MFP and TDEE use different theories of weight loss - MFP with the theory of eating back calories exercises, vs. TDEE which is total daily energy expenditure
  • VintageFeline

1819 for maintenance - 1650 = 169 difference between maintenance calories and currently eating...not 400, so i'm confused as to your comment about at least a 400 cal deficit

but as others have pointed out MFP and TDEE use different theories of weight loss - MFP with the theory of eating back calories exercises, vs. TDEE which is total daily energy expenditure

Oh fudge, you're right. It's been a long day! I'll wander off..........