Sweet potatoes broke my heart

Options
1235»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread immediately reminded me of an old MFP classic - "Corn used my man parts as a speed bag". http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/635529/corn-used-my-man-parts-as-a-speedbag
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Had plain baked sweet potatoes with dinner. Lots of great cooking ideas here.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yummy sweet potato breakfast:

1 large sweet potato
    1 large apple
    2 tbls coconut oil
    2 tbls brown sugar (optional)
    1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    2 eggs
    1/2 unsweetened coconut milk (or regular milk will work)
    1/2 cup crushed pecans
    1/4 cup raisins

Peel and shred (I use my salad shooter) sweet potato. Shred or dice apple (with or without skin). Gently cook in coconut oil in a skillet until potato is soft and lightly browned. Mix in seasonings and sugar (if using), and raisins. Put into 8x11 lightly greased glass baking dish. Whip eggs and milk together. Pour over sweet potato/apple mixture. Sprinkle with crushed pecans. Bake at 400* until eggs are set. Approx. 20-30 minutes depending on oven.

I get 8 servings out of this at 143 cals when I ran it through MFP recipe builder.

Yummy........
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Wow. My thread has enjoyed an unexpected resurrection from the dark, distant days of December!
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I suspect they may be even better than normal potatoes when baked and topped with haggis. I have yet to try that, though.

^^Oh.My.Goodness....YES!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Satiety comes from fat, fiber, and protein. Eat potatoes moderately as part of a healthy eating plan.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Satiety comes from fat, fiber, and protein. Eat potatoes moderately as part of a healthy eating plan.

Satiety (gosh I hate that word) is somewhat individual. I find potatoes and white pasta very filling and oat porridge not. I have a friend who never feels full unless she has had white rice (Chinese heritage!). Protein without carbs doesn't work for me at all. The things you list are a good starting point, but I really don't think there's a simple formula that works for everyone.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I feel those feels regarding those sneakily calorific wonky beasts! Butternut squash wedges (seasoned with cayenne and paprika) are my less cal dense sweet potato alternative. Also good old swede and carrot mash as an alternative to normal mashed potatoes.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Just weigh it out and don't eat a sweet potato along with rice or quinoa or bread.

A sweet potato is your carb for the meal. I have found that the white sweet potatoes don't need any condiments to taste good. The red and purple ones do though.

I don't add much to sweet potatoes unless it's Thanksgiving
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Ha, yes they taste great but are calorie dense. Especially when you sprinkle cinnamon sugar on them and then dip them in regular ranch like I do lol.

Never thought of adding sugar to sweet potatoes!!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Love sweet potatoes, yum! I usually just sprinkle on a little garlic, salt, and pepper.