I just can't seem to start or stick with it!

Options
13»

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    horrorfan wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

My name is Evelyn and I've been on MFP for about three years now. Before we begin, here are my stats:

Height: 5'4"
    CW: 261.8lbs
    GW: 135lbs
    Lifestyle: Sedentary

I've experienced a lot of ups and downs. I have had moments when I log and exercise consistently and lose weight (last one of those was around a year and a half ago) as well as moments when I gain it all back and don't open the app for a year, but it's starting to really get to me.

When I started MFP as a Senior in high school, I weighed 210 pounds. It was the most I had ever been and with the help of my Dad, we transformed our diet in to a whole foods, plant based lifestyle and we both lost weight. He lost nearly 100 pounds while I lost around 30.

Now, I weigh 261.8lbs. 30 of those 261.8lbs I gained in the last year. I can't seem to get it off for the life of me. It's never been this bad where I just can't stick to anything. I don't even know where to start. I can't afford a personal trainer so I've told myself to start with small goals: drinking more water or taking a walk every other day, but it's like all motivation in me is dead.

Any tips on how to get myself started? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to make a transition in to a healthier lifestyle easier? I might as well be new at this as I have no idea what to do. Everyone says to just suck it up and do it, but I've tried and tried again.

Any and all advice, tips, encouragement, or constructive criticism is appreciated.
    Hi everyone!

My name is Evelyn and I've been on MFP for about three years now. Before we begin, here are my stats:

I've experienced a lot of ups and downs. I have had moments when I log and exercise consistently and lose weight (last one of those was around a year and a half ago) as well as moments when I gain it all back and don't open the app for a year, but it's starting to really get to me.

When I started MFP as a Senior in high school, I weighed 210 pounds. It was the most I had ever been and with the help of my Dad, we transformed our diet in to a whole foods, plant based lifestyle and we both lost weight. He lost nearly 100 pounds while I lost around 30.

Now, I weigh 261.8lbs. 30 of those 261.8lbs I gained in the last year. I can't seem to get it off for the life of me. It's never been this bad where I just can't stick to anything. I don't even know where to start. I can't afford a personal trainer so I've told myself to start with small goals: drinking more water or taking a walk every other day, but it's like all motivation in me is dead.

Any tips on how to get myself started? Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to make a transition in to a healthier lifestyle easier? I might as well be new at this as I have no idea what to do. Everyone says to just suck it up and do it, but I've tried and tried again.

Any and all advice, tips, encouragement, or constructive criticism is appreciated.

Start really small and slowly. Set short term realistic diet goals every week. Every week change something about your diet.

Week 1: no sugar
    Week 2: no fast food
    Week 3: no snacks/ crackers
    Week 4: start strength training
    Week 5 add cardio.

At your current weight any change to your diet that is consistent will result in weight loss

Good luck

This is exactly why OP can't stick to anything - extreme changes like no snacks or sugar. Why? Unless she's diabetic, why is that necessary? I would hate my life if I needed to live out the rest of my days like this. Most people would.

Nothing needs to be changed about the diet. She just needs to eat less and move more. Sustainability is key.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    wally2wiki wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Start really small and slowly. Set short term realistic diet goals every week. Every week change something about your diet.

Week 1: no sugar
    Week 2: no fast food
    Week 3: no snacks/ crackers
    Week 4: start strength training
    Week 5 add cardio.

At your current weight any change to your diet that is consistent will result in weight loss

Good luck
    Week 1: Not necessary for weight loss. A calorie deficit is.
    Week 2: Not necessary for weight loss. A calorie deficit is.
    Week 3: Not necessary for weight loss. A calorie deficit is.
    Week 4: Good, but not necessary to start after 4 weeks. Exercise isn't for weight loss, it's for aesthetics.
    Week 5: Not necessary for weight loss. A calorie deficit is. Good for cardiovascular health, though.