Sitting rising test. I can't. Can you?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I refuse to listen to anyone wearing shoes with toes.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    He lost my attention at "help determine how long you might live." Reynen is far from an expert to make such assumptions. His qualifications:

AFAA - CPT (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America - Certified Personal Trainer)
    FMS (Functional Movement Screen) Level I and II
    Adult & Child CPR
    First Aid

Nothing in his qualifications that any Joe Schmoe couldn't get with little effort.

Lacks:

Medical degree
    Evidence to back up his claims

Going by this video, I should have been dead 20 years ago. Personally, I prefer to take my advice from my physician who has an actual medical degree.

He's not the one saying it. He's just the one who posted a YouTube video about it.

Here's a point to be aware of, though: the original research on which that claim was based wasn't done in the US. It was done in a society where people sit on the floor a lot. Regardless, the point is well established by research: your ability to get up and down off the floor without the assistance of a AAA vehicle is an important predictor of mortality for a large number of reasons.

P.S. I can do it, but I make a point of getting up and down off the ground a number of times a day. Often when people fall and aren't able to get up, it's not because they've broken a hip, it's because they haven't been down on the ground in 40 years and they aren't strong enough to get up anymore. Imagine how that's exacerbated if you sprained your wrists trying to catch yourself.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I can do it easily. I'm a 38 year old female in pretty good shape.

I saw this on Dr Oz years ago so that might tell you something.... Or not.

Seems to me to be more about coordination than anything else.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Doing a little search I found this test was originally designed for the elderly, and it was published by one physician from one study. I've suffered with bursitis in my hips since my early 30's, which makes everything from walking, sleeping, and getting up and down, painful and difficult at times. This test, for me, is agony. Granted, the test may indicate ones flexibility but the life expectancy claim is unfounded.

This article breaks down the inconsistencies of the study:
    Does the Sitting-Rising Test Predict Your Risk for Dying?

Ah, okay... this is exactly what i thought.

The ELDERLY?? Oh, no way. They'd be dislocating hips right and left, literally!!
    -This guy, looks like a total *kitten*.
    But, I was able to do it x1