Is it okay to eat after 6pm

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    It is okay as long as you don't sleep directly after being full.

LOL why not? I go right to sleep after eating 90% of my calories. Lost all my weight that way and now have been maintaining for years.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options

Unless you have an issue with acid reflux, it's absolutely fine to go to "sleep directly after being full." That would be the *only* thing to consider. It has zero influence on weight.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yep ... I lost the weight I wanted to lose AND ate my last bit of food anywhere from about 30 minutes to an hour before bed. :)

And I do have to wonder if the person who came up with this 6 pm idea isn't employed.

I don't get home from work until 6 pm. Then I have cottage cheese and raw veggies and some crackers.

Then about 8 pm, I have dinner.

About 9:30 pm, I have yogurt.

About 11 pm, I have toast and nutella.

And if I'm still up, at about 1 am, I'll have some McVitties chocolate digestive biscuits.
  • topfindyourfine
    topfindyourfine Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Why not?

Not only does your digestion/metabolism slows down when you sleep, It has more danger to it. There are a lot of article that supports that.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Why not?

Not only does your digestion/metabolism slows down when you sleep, It has more danger to it. There are a lot of article that supports that.

Can you post some of these articles?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I work nights and consistently eat past 1am. And struggle so hard to gain weight that I literally drink a 600 calorie shape right before bed. Meal timing means ABSOLUTELY nothing. Eat too much youll gain fat, eat too little, you'll lose fat. Simple as that.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Who's 6 pm?

I'm in Australia, on the east side. Should we use my time?

Or should we use the Greenwich timeline? Or the International Dateline?

What happens when Daylight Savings comes or goes? Do you need to stop eating at 5 pm for half the year ... or 7 pm?

What happens when you travel? Do you go by your home time zone ... or the one you travel to?

And is 6:01 pm after 6 pm, or could it be considered before the next 6 pm?

Yes. Thank you. You made this thread.
  • federicafezza4271
    federicafezza4271 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's ok to eat at any time, given that you are eating at a deficit.

Only you should decide the eating pattern that is most suitable for you: if you find it convenient to do intermittent fasting and stop eating at 6, that's ok. It can be helpful in order to limit your caloric intake (I actually did as a teenager without even knowing what IF was, and it was my lowest weight ever, even with zero exercise) , but it could be too much of a change if you like to have dinner together with your family.

So experiment and choose what it's best for you!

Best of luck :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Why not?

Scientific articles?

Like another poster above, I eat about 90% of my daily calories before going to bed every day and have been for quite some time. I've lost 94 pounds doing this.

Magic!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Reposting what I said in another "6 PM" thread:

I happened to be in Spain a few weeks ago, and was astounded to learn that most Spaniards don't eat dinner until 9 PM or even later. I suggested that maybe that was an urban phenomenon, but no, my host told me that it's common everywhere. You feed the kids before bed, and then the adults enjoy the evening meal at the close of the day. I didn't see many fat people there, despite all the wine, cheese, and bread that was being consumed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This is what happens if you eat after 6:00....

cxv993zs69m3.jpg
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    This is what happens if you eat after 6:00....

cxv993zs69m3.jpg

Wow! Your government is strict!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends if your name is Gizmo or Spike
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Why not?

Do you think you get more money onto your bank account if you deposit money on it at night because you're not spending as much during the night?

Wouldn't that be awesome though?