Personal trainer says no carbs til dinner

Options
Is this a thing? Maybe my scepticism comes from the fact it doesn't really fit my preference... just wondering if anyone has experience of this type of diet - specifically as suggested by a PT (not a nutritionist)

Replies

• elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    ... forgot to mention, main goal is weight loss but also strengthening my back (it has the desk job lazies)
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    it's actually extremely bad practice (and I think illegal, though it might be a grey area of the law) for someone who is not qualified in nutrition to be giving out nutritional advice from a professional front (i.e. being paid for it, selling their opinion as concrete professional advice). If you feel like you need guidance with food and your diet, seek out someone who's qualified
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Did he mention why? My wife's trainer told her to have her for breakfast or lunch, but no grains/starches with dinner...but it was simply a method of keeping calories in check.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    elliej wrote: »
    ... forgot to mention, main goal is weight loss but also strengthening my back (it has the desk job lazies)

I don't think carb restriction is needed for eithet of these goals.
    Calorie restriction and working those muscle areas is.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Ask your trainer what specific training they have in nutrition. The answer is likely none, or only what they read in their personal trainer's textbook (a.k.a. basically none). Taking nutritional advice from someone with no background/training isn't a good idea.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    it's actually extremely bad practice (and I think illegal, though it might be a grey area of the law) for someone who is not qualified in nutrition to be giving out nutritional advice from a professional front (i.e. being paid for it, selling their opinion as concrete professional advice). If you feel like you need guidance with food and your diet, seek out someone who's qualified

Great advice!
    Side note: Whether it is legal to give nutritional advice without proper training/certification depends on the location.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I already called him an idiot but id like to point out maybe a question,

Anyone have thoughts on why they think trainers dont make it a priority to properly research nutrition before handing out broscience? Like seriously if it was my job to make someone fit and healthy id research all aspects. Wonder why its not part of their schooling. Even i know thats rediculous and iv done no schooling just basic research on what my body requires for my journey.

Way to common.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I wonder why? I imagine you can eat carbohydrates at any time of the day you like but might the body have longer in the day to work on burning them through active hours by eating them earlier versus later??