Personal trainer says no carbs til dinner

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    um... I'll go against the grain here...

NO carbs is pretty unreasonable, but what he probably means is to LIMIT carbs. The idea is to keep blood sugar levels steady for as long as possible then increase them before and during the workout. If you work out at night, that might be why he says to eat your carbs at night. Here is a pretty good article if you are interested - http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

This. (P.S. Nice link GauchoMark)

Regulating insulin levels to optimize fat burning is not "bro science".

Your trainer may not have explained the reasoning behind his logic because he's just trying to direct you in the most efficient manner possible. So it's up to you to engage him in a more detailed conversation as to the reasons why. Before determining if this guy is "stupid", as so many posters are ready to label him, I'd ask him for a reason why he wants you to do this and see if his reasons match up with science.

You want to lose fat, so you want to keep your insulin levels low for as long as possible during the day. Generally speaking, "carbs" are the main culprit for insulin levels to spike. This is a good thing after a workout (insulin release - read Gaucho's link), but not during the remainder of the day while you're trying to burn as much fat as possible by being in a caloric deficit.

That said, all carbs are not the same. It is the glycemic index of carbs that you want to pay attention to. The GI level of a carbohydrate tells you how fast it is digested. The higher the number, the faster it is digested, and the more likely to raise insulin levels. Higher insulin levels mean the fat-burning mode is shut off while the body preps for nutrient uptake.

What this means is that you don't have to cut out carbs until dinner if you wish to eat low-GI carbs during the day.

Ask your trainer if he is okay with you eating low-GI carbs during breakfast/lunch/snacks. If regulating insulin levels is the reason for his terse advice, he should be okay with this, and will likely laud you for doing some homework on the subject.

protein can also spike insulin as well.not to mention you can only burn so much fat at a time.

Even yet, protein "spikes" are nothing like carb spikes. That is why "spikes" is in quotes. GI doesn't make as much difference as a lot of people think either... you can do so much more to reduce the spike by just pairing the carbs with protein and fat.

Also, it is possible to increase how much fat you can burn at a time. That isn't unlimited, of course, but can increase quite significantly. Just have to become fat adapted, which won't happen if you load up on carbs (even low GI carbs) every evening.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Does this mean you can eat all your carbs for the day for dinner and after? Ya man bring on the pasta, pizza and bread! Oh and don't forget the dessert. :)

Definitely not a requirement to lose weight but you could try limiting carbs during the day and saving them up for later? That's kind of what I do when I'm cutting, but then again I have 300g of carbs to play with.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

NO carbs is pretty unreasonable, but what he probably means is to LIMIT carbs. The idea is to keep blood sugar levels steady for as long as possible then increase them before and during the workout. If you work out at night, that might be why he says to eat your carbs at night. Here is a pretty good article if you are interested - http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Your trainer may not have explained the reasoning behind his logic because he's just trying to direct you in the most efficient manner possible. So it's up to you to engage him in a more detailed conversation as to the reasons why. Before determining if this guy is "stupid", as so many posters are ready to label him, I'd ask him for a reason why he wants you to do this and see if his reasons match up with science.

You want to lose fat, so you want to keep your insulin levels low for as long as possible during the day. Generally speaking, "carbs" are the main culprit for insulin levels to spike. This is a good thing after a workout (insulin release - read Gaucho's link), but not during the remainder of the day while you're trying to burn as much fat as possible by being in a caloric deficit.

That said, all carbs are not the same. It is the glycemic index of carbs that you want to pay attention to. The GI level of a carbohydrate tells you how fast it is digested. The higher the number, the faster it is digested, and the more likely to raise insulin levels. Higher insulin levels mean the fat-burning mode is shut off while the body preps for nutrient uptake.

What this means is that you don't have to cut out carbs until dinner if you wish to eat low-GI carbs during the day.

Ask your trainer if he is okay with you eating low-GI carbs during breakfast/lunch/snacks. If regulating insulin levels is the reason for his terse advice, he should be okay with this, and will likely laud you for doing some homework on the subject.

Do you think that your metabolism just shuts down during an insulin spike? It doesn't. You continue to burn calories but with a focus on the glucose in your bloodstream rather than on fat stores. If that didn't occur, the glucose would just end up getting stored as fat later so it's a wash.
    In other words, it makes no difference.

Also, fat burning doesn't "shut off" during an insulin spike. It just slows.

Furthermore, avoiding carbs won't lead to insulin not spiking. Protein spikes insulin on a level comparable to carbs.

Also, GI is pretty well irrelevant unless you eat only that one food in an otherwise fasted state. Your body digest meals as a whole. The glycemic load of a meal is not equal to the highest GI of any food in that meal. Eat some bacon with your hashbrowns and it's no longer a high GI meal.

you beat me to it!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

protein can also spike insulin as well.not to mention you can only burn so much fat at a time.

Even yet, protein "spikes" are nothing like carb spikes. That is why "spikes" is in quotes. GI doesn't make as much difference as a lot of people think either... you can do so much more to reduce the spike by just pairing the carbs with protein and fat.

Also, it is possible to increase how much fat you can burn at a time. That isn't unlimited, of course, but can increase quite significantly. Just have to become fat adapted, which won't happen if you load up on carbs (even low GI carbs) every evening.

hmm well I lost a lot of fat eating a lot of carbs,its all due to a calorie deficit.so you are basically telling me to go keto? low carb? because with my health issue low carb/keto is a no no.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Does this mean you can eat all your carbs for the day for dinner and after? Ya man bring on the pasta, pizza and bread! Oh and don't forget the dessert. :)

Definitely not a requirement to lose weight but you could try limiting carbs during the day and saving them up for later? That's kind of what I do when I'm cutting, but then again I have 300g of carbs to play with.

Same here. We eat a lot of meals as a family, and with 3 kids, and both of us having full time jobs, it's usually pasta of some kind, either Alfredo, spaghetti, or the like. I've adapted to this, and just save up for the evening.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Do you think that your metabolism just shuts down during an insulin spike? It doesn't. You continue to burn calories but with a focus on the glucose in your bloodstream rather than on fat stores. If that didn't occur, the glucose would just end up getting stored as fat later so it's a wash.
    In other words, it makes no difference.

Also, fat burning doesn't "shut off" during an insulin spike. It just slows.

Furthermore, avoiding carbs won't lead to insulin not spiking. Protein spikes insulin on a level comparable to carbs.

Also, GI is pretty well irrelevant unless you eat only that one food in an otherwise fasted state. Your body digest meals as a whole. The glycemic load of a meal is not equal to the highest GI of any food in that meal. Eat some bacon with your hashbrowns and it's no longer a high GI meal.

It's also worth mentioning that while everybody is busy with "insulin is teh debilz", they're forgetting that insulin also plays a very powerful role in anabolism.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

Not really relevant given the intended audience of the article... It's intended for those in a pre-contest state, or those dieting down to come in stage ready... not gen pop.

Not to mention that article is fairly dated... Layne's viewpoints seem to have changed quite a bit since then considering he now coaches athletes with an IIFYM/Flexible Dieting approach.

I did mention that this advice was mainly for contest prep in the post directly above yours... Again, just trying to maybe help the OP understand where the trainer is coming from so she can ask more questions for clarification.

However, you are wrong about the date and Layne's views. I didn't see a date on the article I linked to, but from Layne's site (https://www.biolayne.com/coaching/faq/part-l-dieting/) he specifically says "My philosophy is here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm". That article was dated Nov 8, 2016. It is the same one I posted.

Again, not really necessary for the average person just trying to lose some weight, but once you get a trainer involved, some of them are overzealous. I see them all the time instructing people in the gym on exercises that they have no business attempting at their current fitness level... same goes for their nutrition advice.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited December 2016
    Options

hmm well I lost a lot of fat eating a lot of carbs,its all due to a calorie deficit.so you are basically telling me to go keto? low carb? because with my health issue low carb/keto is a no no.

You misunderstood. Nowhere did I say it is impossible to lose fat while eating carbs. What I said is that those of us who are fat adapted burn fat more quickly than people who are not fat adapted.

What that means is that I burn fat (both dietary and body fat) faster than most. I also eat a lot more fat than if I were dieting with the same calorie level and eating a lot of carbs. Of course if that were the case, I would then burn the glucose from carbs first and would not need to burn fat.

ETA: I'm curious what health issue you have where low carb is a problem. Would you mind sharing?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Are we confusing/conflating dietary fat with body fat here? Because when and how the body uses fats for energy as opposed to carbs is kind of irrelevant to body fat loss no? You're not magically "burning" more stored body fat just by virtue of not having eaten any carbs that meal.

Are you responding to me? My point about burning fat is that those of us who are fat adapted are capable of using fat for energy at a higher rate than those who are not fat adapted. Of course that also means that the other person, who is physiologically the same otherwise, not fat adapted is going to utilize other energy sources instead (glucose, glycogen) at higher rates than the fat adapted person. In a long endurance competition (ultra-marathon, for example), that non fat adapted person is going to see a performance reduction if they don't fuel... usually with carbs. That's the whole point of GU packs for such athletes.... carbs for fuel because that is what they need. Fat adapted athletes will either eat fat or use body fat at a higher rate and can avoid the need for constant carb introduction.

For the fat adapted person who is not participating in an endurance competition, they still burn more fat (not necessarily body fat because it depends on if they recently consumed fat) than the non-fat adapted person in a similar circumstance. It isn't magic. It's just that a person who consumes carbs regularly and has excess glucose from recent carb consumption is going to use carbs for energy first. The fat adapted person who doesn't have excess glucose because they didn't recently consume carbs is going to use something else for energy first... the fat adapted person who recently at fat is using that.

Notice how I haven't said that any of this negates calories? It's a question of how those calories are used and when they are used based on which macros make those calories up, the ability (adaptation) of a person to use different energy sources (glucose, glycogen, protein, and fat - protein and fat potentially coming from diet and potentially coming from our body), and their energy needs (someone competing in an endurance competition vs. a daily desk job). My point was in response to:
    you can only burn so much fat at a time.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Not really relevant given the intended audience of the article... It's intended for those in a pre-contest state, or those dieting down to come in stage ready... not gen pop.

Not to mention that article is fairly dated... Layne's viewpoints seem to have changed quite a bit since then considering he now coaches athletes with an IIFYM/Flexible Dieting approach.

I did mention that this advice was mainly for contest prep in the post directly above yours... Again, just trying to maybe help the OP understand where the trainer is coming from so she can ask more questions for clarification.

However, you are wrong about the date and Layne's views. I didn't see a date on the article I linked to, but from Layne's site (https://www.biolayne.com/coaching/faq/part-l-dieting/) he specifically says "My philosophy is here http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm". That article was dated Nov 8, 2016. It is the same one I posted.

Again, not really necessary for the average person just trying to lose some weight, but once you get a trainer involved, some of them are overzealous. I see them all the time instructing people in the gym on exercises that they have no business attempting at their current fitness level... same goes for their nutrition advice.

I quoted the original comment and didn't see your follow up remarks until after the fact.

The Simplyshredded article was written before 2012. It comes up in multiple bodybuilding.com threads in 2011 with mentions of it. I remember reading this article years ago. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132718553. for example....

Also... https://www.biolayne.com/coaching/faq/part-m-contest-prep/

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/layne36.htm I wrote that article 4 years ago; but most of the stuff i still very much believe in, though some views have somewhat changed.

Like I said... he trains multiple athletes with a more flexible approach now.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

You misunderstood. Nowhere did I say it is impossible to lose fat while eating carbs. What I said is that those of us who are fat adapted burn fat more quickly than people who are not fat adapted.

What that means is that I burn fat (both dietary and body fat) faster than most. I also eat a lot more fat than if I were dieting with the same calorie level and eating a lot of carbs. Of course if that were the case, I would then burn the glucose from carbs first and would not need to burn fat.

ETA: I'm curious what health issue you have where low carb is a problem. Would you mind sharing?

I have familial hypercholestrolemia(a genetic defect), my liver does not process fats and cholesterol like most people, it asks the body to release more cholesterol . so therefore keto is out due to the high fat, I have to eat low fat and higher carbs,although most of my higher carbs are fruits and veggies, but I was told a diet of low fat(especially sat fat),and higher carbs,along with diet,exercise and meds(again) would help,it has because I had xanthomas as well as Xanthelasmas. they have since went way down. when I was eating low carb higher fat(thought I just had regular cholesterol issues),it caused my condition to become worse and the Xanthelasmas under my eyes were awful(never had them before the lower carb higher fat diet),I knew that my cholesterol was through the roof then.I also have to avoid red meat,alcohol,fried foods,etc due to this.so for me to lower carbs I would have to up my fats some and my protein. I can only have moderate protein.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Low carbing isn't a problem for me, but keto-type eating where you're doing low carb/high fat would be. I could low carb/high protein/low fat.

Too much fat does unhappy things to my digestive system. I'm not exactly sure what is causing this, but I haven't been quite right since I took antibiotics a year ago in this regard.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    By a lot of people on MFPs standards, we should now use Tracey's medical issues to "prove" fat is bad and apply that sentiment for all. Isn't that how it works?

lol Im not saying fat is bad. high fat for me is. its not for others,but I get what you are saying. @GottaBurnEmAll .I was told to do higher carbs,moderate protein and low fat.I have a hard enough time getting enough protein in as it is.I could cut my carbs down some, but then Im hungry when I do no matter what I do.but then again everyone is different too so. :)