Personal trainer says no carbs til dinner

Options

Replies

• Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Never heard of this. For me, that would only be an opportunity to binge.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Although I agree someone should have some training Nutrition is pretty Basic especially to lose weight. Let me some it up for you for Free

1. Eat less calories than you burn "TDEE" to lose weight more to gain weight
    2. Get .4 grams of fat per LBM everyday
    3. Get .6-1 gram of Protein per LBM everyday
    4. log your food for accuracy
    5. Be honest with yourself no one else matters
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers and nutritionists are totally different. Carbs have no reason to be limited or restrained until dinner. In fact, I like to eat carbs before or after my work out to replenish my energy level.

This is me to a T
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Although I agree someone should have some training Nutrition is pretty Basic especially to lose weight. Let me some it up for you for Free

1. Eat less calories than you burn "TDEE" to lose weight more to gain weight
    2. Get .4 grams of fat per LBM everyday
    3. Get .6-1 gram of Protein per LBM everyday
    4. log your food for accuracy
    5. Be honest with yourself no one else matters

Perfect
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    um... I'll go against the grain here...

NO carbs is pretty unreasonable, but what he probably means is to LIMIT carbs. The idea is to keep blood sugar levels steady for as long as possible then increase them before and during the workout. If you work out at night, that might be why he says to eat your carbs at night. Here is a pretty good article if you are interested - http://www.simplyshredded.com/layne-norton-the-most-effective-cutting-diet.html

Main goal is weight loss even if i believed in that being beneficial (i dont) Itd make no difference. Cutting out carbs for weight loss is pointless, Unless it helps to lower your calories, But as she said it doesn't fit her preferences so would do more harm thn good.

Ignore the trainer, Eat your carbs. I eat majority of carbs because thats what i personally find satisfying and managable.

I agree, really. The calorie deficit is what creates weight loss - no question. I certainly never said to cut out carbs and neither did the trainer. If, when, and how you eat your macros has a very small effect that most people really do not care about. The average person really SHOULDN'T care about that stuff and the trainer probably shouldn't mention it unless you are prepping for a competition maybe. I just wanted to provide what was probably driving his statement.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sounds like hes following the shaun T eating plan. I was shocked when I looked at the plan and it stated no carbs until dinner. needless to say I wouldnt follow his eating plan.
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,160 Member
    Options
    It is not a bad idea- it is also known as carb back loading. It allows to burn more fat during the day ie calorie partitioning but this would work when you are in calorie deficit.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options

protein can also spike insulin as well.

Yes, so why double-down on an insulin spike when you don't have to?
    not to mention you can only burn so much fat at a time.

So you'd rather be inefficient about it?

That doesn't compute.

I know of no study that says you can only burn fat for X amount of hours per day, so you might as well have elevated insulin levels the rest of the time...