IIFYM eating.......really???

Options
pchesnut
pchesnut Posts: 347 Member
Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.
Does it really work for you?

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I'm down 90 lbs on IIFYM, and have lost an additional 4" off my waist in the last month and a half by combining Insanity and IIFYM eating. The trick is to make sure you actually hit all of your macros each day. IIFYM doesn't mean eat whatever you want and keep it under the calories, it means that if you want something, have it, but adjust your day to account for it. I eat a base of 2000 calories a day, and usually add another 800 or so for exercise on top of that, and it's working for me.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

Just making mention of this for clarity sake.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    IIFYM gave me a calorie count of almost 2000 calories based on my current activity and I'm only 5'3. I've followed that and down almost 6lbs in 4.5 weeks. Halfway to my goal. So yes it works!!! Just be sure to stay within your macros. I keep it pretty healthy most of the week and have my indulgences here and there.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This....... and I am down 312 lbs. so far..... Best of Luck. ....
  • SideSteel
    Options

This....... and I am down 312 lbs. so far..... Best of Luck. ....

slacker.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes it has worked for me.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    there is an axiom in engineering that says "keep it simple stupid" (KISS). this means that the simpler the solution to a problem, the better it will be and the more likely it will work.

IIFYM beats all other "schemes" in this regard because there are no rules about what you can and cannot eat. you simply count your calories and macros and strive to meet those goals every day, and the food you eat to do so is irrelevant... and what i mean by that is that your food choices will tend to end up being mostly the same ones that the more complicated schemes explicitly list out as "ok" simply because these foods do a good job getting you close to your daily goals, but with the added benefit of allowing you to also indulge in favorite foods if/when you desire.

dietary programs that give you long lists of rules to follow and foods that are forbidden, are much more complicated to follow over the long run.

this is another reason why people who "get it" advocate that everyone just follow IIFYM. once you "get it", you see how easy it is and how easy it will be to follow for the rest of your life.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^this
  • pchesnut
    Options
    okay just to clarify I read the whole IIFYM page and the theory etc. I read all the FAQ I get it. I understand the idea. But if they are correct then the number of calories I should be hitting is like 2500. I am a mom of 4 so I am busy and on my feet most of the day. I don't do much exercising other then walking 3 miles a day at a brisk pace. So doesn't that TDEE seem really really high?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    okay just to clarify I read the whole IIFYM page and the theory etc. I read all the FAQ I get it. I understand the idea. But if they are correct then the number of calories I should be hitting is like 2500. I am a mom of 4 so I am busy and on my feet most of the day. I don't do much exercising other then walking 3 miles a day at a brisk pace. So doesn't that TDEE seem really really high?

I would apply IIFYM to your general dieting and I would check a few other online resources for caloric intake estimations and compare them to the estimation you got on the IIFYM website.

Try Katsch-Mcardle, try 14-15xBW, try the second link I send in my first reply regarding calculating calorie and macronutrient needs.

And most importantly, you eventually need to just pick one and go with it and focus on tracking accurately and then adjust intake based on results.

Lastly, keep in mind that you're not eating at TDEE, you're supposed to be eating under TDEE. 80% of TDEE is a good starting point for weight loss. (10xBW is a reasonable starting place for weight loss too, as an example).

Keep in mind, these are general estimations and starting points from which you adjust.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

it depends on how you have calculated everything.

take your BMR and multiply by your normal daily activity level. then on the days you do extra cardio, you add those calories. that gives you your TDEE for that day. you subtract a fixed deficit from that TDEE to give you your intake for that day.

e.g.,

BMR = 1560
    sedentary activity level (you work a desk job) = 1.2x for the Harris-Benedict equation
    350 calories burned walking at night

TDEE = 1560 x 1.2 + 350 = 2222

on that day, your TDEE is 2222. if your daily deficit is 500, then your goal for the day is 1722. in those 1722 calories, you want to meet your fat and protein requirements. that's the IIFYM part.

fat = 0.35g/lb of body weight
    protein = 0.85g/lb LBM

1g fat = 9 calories
    1g protein = 4 calories
  • BGoodz22
    BGoodz22 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

2500 is extremely high for a female your age. what did you put for your exercise level? You can always cut back on exercise so you are able to consume less calories.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    <---- iifym. Lost 30 pounds and am now putting muscle back on.
  • pchesnut
    Options
    2500 is extremely high for a female your age. what did you put for your exercise level? You can always cut back on exercise so you are able to consume less calories.
    [/quote]

I logged in my age, height and weight and activity level and my TDEE came up as 3111 which seems excessive to me but here is how it breaks down with activity;
    very light-300 min a day---I like to read and sit quietly sometimes so it totals about 5 hrs a day
    light-675 min a day---I have 4 kids and house to run so cooking, cleaning, yardwork, walking around grocery store etc takes about 11 hrs a day...and it really does
    moderate-45 min a day---I take a 3 mile (45 min) walk every night for some quiet me time (again with 4 kids it's NEEDED)
    I didn't log anything under heavy or very heavy.
    sleeping took up the rest of the time---7 hrs

So my TDEE is 3111
    BMR is 1696
    For Macros the 15% recommended was 2644 calories
    the 20% (aggressive) was 2489
    and the 25% (reckless) was 2333

That all seems so very high to me but I logged pretty correctly to how my day goes.
  • pchesnut
    Options

I would apply IIFYM to your general dieting and I would check a few other online resources for caloric intake estimations and compare them to the estimation you got on the IIFYM website.

Try Katsch-Mcardle, try 14-15xBW, try the second link I send in my first reply regarding calculating calorie and macronutrient needs.

And most importantly, you eventually need to just pick one and go with it and focus on tracking accurately and then adjust intake based on results.

Lastly, keep in mind that you're not eating at TDEE, you're supposed to be eating under TDEE. 80% of TDEE is a good starting point for weight loss. (10xBW is a reasonable starting place for weight loss too, as an example).

Keep in mind, these are general estimations and starting points from which you adjust.

So I typed everything in again with the Katch-Mccardle and it gave me a more realistic number. However it is still higher calories then MFP suggests. So is there a way I can type in the calories and other macros I want here at MFP?
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You're making this too complicated. it's going to be enough work as it is. Pick something and run it! Watch the scale and see what happens. You can't expect to hit it perfectly. You could have a intake need around 3000. It happens. And especially on an active day.

IIFYM is nothing really. Protein intake is the priority, then fat, then remainder in carbs. Your body doesn't know the difference between "clean" and "dirty" foods. It's just that dirty foods tend to me high in sodium, processed chemicals and are more devoid of nutrition and can be higher in calories than stated. Eventually this leads to a less optimal intake and some other potential issues.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options

So I typed everything in again with the Katch-Mccardle and it gave me a more realistic number. However it is still higher calories then MFP suggests. So is there a way I can type in the calories and other macros I want here at MFP?

It's higher because the TDEE number you are getting is including a nightly 3 mile walk and is increasing your required calories accordingly. MFP is not. MFP expects you to log that exercise each time you do it and then eat additional calories to make up for the exercise deficit.
  • akathatoneguy
    akathatoneguy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Personally TS, I think you should just go with the 2500 and if it isn't working for you after a week or two, you can adjust it. That's the real value of MFP if you ask me- you can easily track your results against your eating and exercise and adjust as you need to.

I've had to do that for a number of reasons: MFP always thinks I'm going to lose less than I do, so perhaps it's underestimating what I burn during exercise or maybe I'm underestimating my own activity level, who knows? But after even a little while you can use your tracking to find your own levels you need to be at.

IIFYM is great because it demystifies the whole "eating healthier" thing and lets you get going right away when you're feeling motivated instead of making you spend hours on the internet researching until you lose your motivation. You can always tweak later on. It looks like you've already had some success using MFP, so I say just keep it up and tweak as you need to based on results! Good luck!
  • pchesnut
    Options

It's higher because the TDEE number you are getting is including a nightly 3 mile walk and is increasing your required calories accordingly. MFP is not. MFP expects you to log that exercise each time you do it and then eat additional calories to make up for the exercise deficit.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info
  • hayleems
    hayleems Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump