IIFYM eating.......really???

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't even track macros...just calories. And I've lost almost 40 lbs. So, yeah, it works.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I don't even track macros...just calories. And I've lost almost 40 lbs. So, yeah, it works.
    ^They are one in the same. Without macros, you wouldn't have calories.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You're making this too complicated. it's going to be enough work as it is. Pick something and run it! Watch the scale and see what happens. You can't expect to hit it perfectly. You could have a intake need around 3000. It happens. And especially on an active day.

IIFYM is nothing really. Protein intake is the priority, then fat, then remainder in carbs. Your body doesn't know the difference between "clean" and "dirty" foods. It's just that dirty foods tend to me high in sodium, processed chemicals and are more devoid of nutrition and can be higher in calories than stated. Eventually this leads to a less optimal intake and some other potential issues.
    That is why general practice is to consume 80-90% of your daily intake with "clean" foods.
  • king752
    king752 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Its more like
    IIFYM + Micros + Fiber

To hit those macros, micros, fiber (yes I know fiber is technically a macro)
    80%~90% will be clean foods anyway.

The other 10% won't really matter where it comes from.
    also a lot of people do some "bro"diet, which consist of "bro"colli, chicken breast, brown rice.
    will also lack a lot of vitamins and minerals, you would usually get from IIFYM, people who eat fruits,
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

Lastly, keep in mind that you're not eating at TDEE, you're supposed to be eating under TDEE. 80% of TDEE is a good starting point for weight loss. (10xBW is a reasonable starting place for weight loss too, as an example).

Keep in mind, these are general estimations and starting points from which you adjust.

While I can see it is surrounded by disclaimers, I don't think 10xBW is at all reasonable if you have little to lose and are fairly active. 10xBW at my pre-pregnancy weight would give me 1250 kcal, which is less than half my actual TDEE! This calculation may work well if you are heavier, but I would be wary of giving it out as blanket advice.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've had good time with flexible eating. For me the trick is eating well most of the time and then at the end of the day with my left over cals (generally between 400-800) ill use on something nice that fits my macros (ice cream,crisps etc) and my progress has been good and steady.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.
    Does it really work for you?

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

Just making mention of this for clarity sake.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This....... and I am down 312 lbs. so far..... Best of Luck. ....

^ Another for this.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    bump
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

^ Another for this.

Sidesteel might be the smartest guy on MFP so I will also recommend this post. I will also add that I have lost 43 pounds in 7 months doing this. For me, I just started out trying to just hit my calories and get a little exercise. AS TIME WENT ON, I learned more and I have been working towards better control of my macros. DOWN THE ROAD WHEN YOU GET TO THIS POINT, you will see the relationship between foods/calories/macros and understand it better. For now, calories and some exercise. You will learn and get better.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

^ Another for this.
    yes. all of the yes.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    80% whole foods then IIFYM after that.
    Had peanut butter and chocolate ice cream last night.
    Yum!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Anyone will experience weight loss if they are taking in less calories then they burn. IIFYM isn't just about weight loss. Tracking macros, micros and fiber and keeping them within your personal ranges allows for body composition change as well, without worrying whether you are eating "clean" or "dirty" foods. You can bulk, maintain or cut on IIFYM, without the stress of trying to eat 100% "clean". What it isn't however, is just making foods fit your calories. Too many individuals claim IIFYM, but are just focused on caloric intake, and end up eating nothing but "junk" food because it fits their calories, totally missing the macro, micro and fiber goals. This is where IIFYM gets a bad rap at times.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

^ Another for this.
    yes. all of the yes.

hi guys... this is what I came to say, but i was just say ^this
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I have three really good friends on here that between them have lost almost 500lbs using IIFYM.

I would say it works..
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

^ Another for this.
    yes. all of the yes.

^ Another for this. You've got one of the smartest people on the site, backed up by by people with insane amounts of weight loss in their tickers. Resounding yes.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Results:

I am leaner, much leaner, since balancing my macros with IIFYM. I've lost right around 9 percentage points in body fat. And since I'm not trying to lose, my weight is about the same as when I started eating this way. I use IIFYM in conjunction with a sensible weight training program and some cardio. I did not get anywhere near these results before I balanced my macros for my goals.

Just to add that to all the other beneficial information already in the thread.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    91lbs in 12 months! Had takeout once or twice a week and made it fit. Also all my blood results came back healthy and I went from type II diabetes to none!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Lastly, keep in mind that you're not eating at TDEE, you're supposed to be eating under TDEE. 80% of TDEE is a good starting point for weight loss. (10xBW is a reasonable starting place for weight loss too, as an example).

Keep in mind, these are general estimations and starting points from which you adjust.

While I can see it is surrounded by disclaimers, I don't think 10xBW is at all reasonable if you have little to lose and are fairly active. 10xBW at my pre-pregnancy weight would give me 1250 kcal, which is less than half my actual TDEE! This calculation may work well if you are heavier, but I would be wary of giving it out as blanket advice.

The point of the disclaimers is so that it's not "blanket advice". It is a starting point. Just like other calculations. Some people will need to go higher than 10cal/lb. 10-12 is an often quoted figure and I've seen several cases where people need to go lower than that and I'm sure there's situations where people can go higher than that.

The point I was attempting to get across with the disclaimers, and apparently failed since you labeled it "blanket advice", is that these are all different estimation tools that attempt to provide the general population with a clue as to what their intake needs to be as a starting place.

People unfortunately seem to put too much emphasis on what the calculator says without paying attention to what their results say, and that's where the problem is.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    IIFYM FTW

personally I eat 80% nutritionally dense food and the rest is what I want as long as it fits my macros .