IIFYM eating.......really???

Options

Replies

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.
    Does it really work for you?

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

Just making mention of this for clarity sake.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This....... and I am down 312 lbs. so far..... Best of Luck. ....

^ Another for this.
    yes. all of the yes.

^ Another for this. You've got one of the smartest people on the site, backed up by by people with insane amounts of weight loss in their tickers. Resounding yes.

^^^^ YES

IIFYM - YES
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    bump
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Personally TS, I think you should just go with the 2500 and if it isn't working for you after a week or two, you can adjust it. That's the real value of MFP if you ask me- you can easily track your results against your eating and exercise and adjust as you need to.

I've had to do that for a number of reasons: MFP always thinks I'm going to lose less than I do, so perhaps it's underestimating what I burn during exercise or maybe I'm underestimating my own activity level, who knows? But after even a little while you can use your tracking to find your own levels you need to be at.

What number are you using for strength training?

Using nothing or MFP's pitiful number (which is applicable to old ladies with pink dumbbells) is a major source of exercise cal burn underestimation.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Using nothing or MFP's pitiful number (which is applicable to old ladies with pink dumbbells) is a major source of exercise cal burn underestimation.

^ hey! I resemble that remark!!

OP, I met my body weight goal with IIFYM.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump for the info!
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    bump, gotta be better than 1200 calories a day!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Can those of you who do this tell me the kind of success you have had following that eating plan. I typed in my info on the TDEE calculator and the # it gave me of calories to eat seems astronomical.

ETA: I'm eating between 2000-2300 per day now, but trying to stay closer to 2000. And for exercise, I mostly focus on weight training, with very little deliberate cardio.

Yes it works! Moderation is the only thing that will *EVER* work for me, and watching my nutrient intake just makes sense anyway. (See my ticker below.)
  • tmcginley
    tmcginley Posts: 28
    Options
    I've lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks. Before I was trying to eat 1200 cals failing, getting depressed and eating more. My only problem is trying to hit Protein macros. wow. Its a lot of protein. And protein is expensive yo!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    okay just to clarify I read the whole IIFYM page and the theory etc. I read all the FAQ I get it. I understand the idea. But if they are correct then the number of calories I should be hitting is like 2500. I am a mom of 4 so I am busy and on my feet most of the day. I don't do much exercising other then walking 3 miles a day at a brisk pace. So doesn't that TDEE seem really really high?

2500 is extremely high for a female your age. what did you put for your exercise level? You can always cut back on exercise so you are able to consume less calories.

I disagree! I'm the same age as the OP, and she is doing more cardio than I, and until the last couple of months, my true TDEE was over 2500. The last few months, after losing a bunch of weight, my true TDEE seems to have slipped down to closer to 2400. That is NOT "extremely high."
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

IIFYM is not a specific calorie amount, it is a philosophy about food selection.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

One can apply IIFYM at 1400 calories and at 3500 calories and it is still IIFYM.

Just making mention of this for clarity sake.

It works, but as with any method you need to make sure your total intake is set appropriately.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This....... and I am down 312 lbs. so far..... Best of Luck. ....

If I weren't already following IIFYM, I'd listen to this guy. Congrats on your awesome success! :drinker:

I didn't think it could possibly work (eating things I like and still losing weight?), but I've lost 28 lbs, 6 inches on my waist, and 5 on my hips doing it this way.

Good luck OP! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    One more thing....FWIW, it's better to *begin* at the HIGH estimate of caloric intake rather than drop to the smallest end. If you start with the lowest number of calories, you will be unable to cut once you plateau. Also, for the record, the Katch-McArdle equation is not good for obese people who are untrained and just beginning a fitness journey. For me personally, I found all the equations to be on the low side, once I logged for several weeks and was able to calculate my true TDEE.

I highly recommend Sarauk2sf's thread on setting calorie and macro goals:

(And chiming in with other posters, any threads by Sidesteel are gonna have good, solid, scientifically-based info!)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    26lbs down following an IIFYM philosophy.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Personally TS, I think you should just go with the 2500 and if it isn't working for you after a week or two, you can adjust it. That's the real value of MFP if you ask me- you can easily track your results against your eating and exercise and adjust as you need to.

I've had to do that for a number of reasons: MFP always thinks I'm going to lose less than I do, so perhaps it's underestimating what I burn during exercise or maybe I'm underestimating my own activity level, who knows? But after even a little while you can use your tracking to find your own levels you need to be at.

IIFYM is great because it demystifies the whole "eating healthier" thing and lets you get going right away when you're feeling motivated instead of making you spend hours on the internet researching until you lose your motivation. You can always tweak later on. It looks like you've already had some success using MFP, so I say just keep it up and tweak as you need to based on results! Good luck!

When starting out, I would personally give it more than a week or two. If you're introducing a large calorie increase to your body on a consistent basis...say going from something like 1500 to 2500 calories daily (this is just a guess since I don't know what your current goals are set for)....then your body is going to retain more water weight and you'll see more fluctuations than you may be used to. You need to give it at least a month or two before making any adjustments, and make any adjustments slowly...a few hundred calories at a time, then give it a few weeks before any more changes. Yes, there is a very good possibility the scale may go up, but you need to realize this will happen and accept it and TRUST that it will go down...if you log food and exercise correctly and you follow your plan.

IIFYM, just like anything else is more about your long term lifestyle. Do you want to eat like this forever, do you want to see lasting results eating foods you enjoy, do you want a body that is the image of what you want...or do you want to see the number on some scale to go down to some "perfect magic point where all happiness and dreams come from"? The scale is going to be good for long term trending, you can't always trust it as a source for your success. Mirrors, pictures, clothes, measurements, how you feel...all of these are more accurate indicators than the scale.
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    which macros should i try to hit? right now i just have mine set to which ever one MFP has? Can someone give me an example of their daily meals.

right now my calories are 1950 on MFP (1.5 pounds a week sedentary) and 2695 (TDEE-20% -with moderated exercise-right now i do cardio at least 5-6 days a week for a minimum of 40 minutes. just a little toning exercise which is usually in conjunction with the cardio (walking with weights)
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i personally stay away from IIFYM...that's just me
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    <---- iifym. Lost 30 pounds and am now putting muscle back on.

Way to go!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

how so?
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I lost weight by using TDEE method to figure out my calorie goal. I started out eating 1800 a day (tdee-20%) and adjusted my goals are as I got closer to goal (I maintain at 3000ish). I would also adjust my intake according to any significant changes in activity level. I used IIFYM as my eating style. I felt like it was the best chance I had to really be successful for once (I had tried and failed at weightloss many times before. It was the best way for ME, I have no doubt about that!
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options
    God yes it works. Been doing it for years. My tdee is 2700 but given that i play full court basketball nearly everyday for 1-2 hours i moved it up to 35-4000 calories.
    But without it, I took 2700, did a 40/40/20 split and fat melted off.. about 6lbs a week, no basketball though just incline treadmill at 2.5mph 20 mins twice daily.

I currently eat chicken and broccoli every day so that in the weekend i can eat like a chinese stowaway at an eating competition.
  • jaycbadass
    jaycbadass Posts: 325
    Options

how so?

yea how so?