Anyone else lose easier when they do not exercise but net the same?

Options
124»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    AspenDan wrote: »
    A lot of people subconsciously move and burn less when they work out. Lot of studies have looked into this.

What do you mean subconsciously move less? How can you do that? I focus really hard when I exercise because it's a game (I use zumba core for kinect) and I try hard to get more stars and a higher score lol

There was a study done wherein the people who exercised very vigorously had low NEAT (non-exercise activity) otherwise. This is something you can counteract if you're aware of it.

I know I do.

I think this is something that many of us can attest to personally. I know when I do a hard run, my instinct is to crash on the couch and watch TV for the rest of the day. I don't, because I'm aware of it, but the desire is still there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A lot of people subconsciously move and burn less when they work out. Lot of studies have looked into this.

What do you mean subconsciously move less? How can you do that? I focus really hard when I exercise because it's a game (I use zumba core for kinect) and I try hard to get more stars and a higher score lol

There was a study done wherein the people who exercised very vigorously had low NEAT (non-exercise activity) otherwise. This is something you can counteract if you're aware of it.

I know I do.

I think this is something that many of us can attest to personally. I know when I do a hard run, my instinct is to crash on the couch and watch TV for the rest of the day. I don't, because I'm aware of it, but the desire is still there.

Yep, nicely put!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I think that's completely normal. Without exercise you'll lose more muscle along with the fat and since muscle is heavier your weight goes down faster.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I know I do.

Yes, me too. Knowing this is a tendency means that I can take measures to avoid it even in less obvious situations, but if I don't I can see that it might be an issue.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have totally seen this! It frustrates me but I keep thinking that part of the reason is because I'm not (hopefully) losing muscle weight as fast since I'm lifting and doing some cardio. When I don't exercise, I drop really fast. It can be totally depressing at times but I keep telling myself that if I keep lifting and eating less then I will eventually lose all that I need to. It's just going to be slower then I want it to be.

See thats how I feel too. Its like sometimes I just want to go back to only dieting. Same amount of food or very little difference and yet I lose quicker or at all? I stall for so long when I exercise.

You should not care about just the scale.

You are still quite overweight. There is a lot about this process you have to learn and one of those things you could wrap your head around is the idea that you're trying to form healthy habits for life.

Do you realize that there's a National Weight Control Registry of successful maintainers? They all have some things in common, and one of the things they have in common is exercise. They all found exercise to be very important when it came to the maintenance phase of weight loss.

Furthermore, the closer you get to goal, the harder it is to form a deficit, and exercise can eliminate some of the problems that might arise from logging errors.

Not only that, exercise is a healthy habit that does your joints, bones, heart, and lungs a world of good.

And you're willing to put aside all of these benefits for a number on the scale.

Relax. It's not a race.

I'm actually a NWCR participant and I don't exercise, I didn't exercise at all during my weight loss phase either. Not saying exercise is bad or anything, it's just not a factor for me and I'm coming up on 4 years of maintenance :)

OP-when I started this whole thing I was really overwhelmed with a new pre-diabetes diagnosis. I only focused on my calorie/food intake and I kept things really simple. It's worked well for me, but others enjoy exercise and factor it into their plans. Just figure out what works for you and then do that.

I agree. A person has to find out what works for them. For me, I started my journey 19 months ago. I exercised from day one only doing 15 minutes a day. I eventually increased that to 7 days a week over 100 minutes a day. Now, that I'm in maintenance, I do 6 days a week 30 minutes a day.

Exercise does have many health benefits, but not everyone wants to participate in an exercise program. I'm sure you are probably more active than what you were before. I think being active and having a healthy way of eating are just as important. I'm glad that you posted that you are a member of NWCR and not all members exercise.

Although, I plan to continue with exercising, I think it's good for people to know that they have options and that they can start off focusing on changing eating habits and just moving a bit more by being active and not necessarily exercise. From your photo, you look great!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have totally seen this! It frustrates me but I keep thinking that part of the reason is because I'm not (hopefully) losing muscle weight as fast since I'm lifting and doing some cardio. When I don't exercise, I drop really fast. It can be totally depressing at times but I keep telling myself that if I keep lifting and eating less then I will eventually lose all that I need to. It's just going to be slower then I want it to be.

See thats how I feel too. Its like sometimes I just want to go back to only dieting. Same amount of food or very little difference and yet I lose quicker or at all? I stall for so long when I exercise.

You should not care about just the scale.

You are still quite overweight. There is a lot about this process you have to learn and one of those things you could wrap your head around is the idea that you're trying to form healthy habits for life.

Do you realize that there's a National Weight Control Registry of successful maintainers? They all have some things in common, and one of the things they have in common is exercise. They all found exercise to be very important when it came to the maintenance phase of weight loss.

Furthermore, the closer you get to goal, the harder it is to form a deficit, and exercise can eliminate some of the problems that might arise from logging errors.

Not only that, exercise is a healthy habit that does your joints, bones, heart, and lungs a world of good.

And you're willing to put aside all of these benefits for a number on the scale.

Relax. It's not a race.

I'm actually a NWCR participant and I don't exercise, I didn't exercise at all during my weight loss phase either. Not saying exercise is bad or anything, it's just not a factor for me and I'm coming up on 4 years of maintenance :)

OP-when I started this whole thing I was really overwhelmed with a new pre-diabetes diagnosis. I only focused on my calorie/food intake and I kept things really simple. It's worked well for me, but others enjoy exercise and factor it into their plans. Just figure out what works for you and then do that.

Thank you for the openness :) I like when people don't insist one way is right. Everyone is different. I love exercise in certain forms, but too much of it is possible for me right now and I think I need to slow it down

I don't think anyone is suggesting that one way is right...if you look at it statistically though, most people who maintain their weight do exercise on the regular. And like I said up thread, it's pretty essential to overall health.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I net the same as always, sometimes less, but since exercising daily my weight has slowed way, way down. Anyone else experience this more often then not? I though it would stop after a week or two. Do you lose easier with or without exercise? Im thinking Ill start alternating between days I exercise and days I dont. It bugs me not seeing results at all. I used to lose weight easier when I exercised but my body seems to hold excess fluid now a lot more than before..maybe too much salt idk. But its irritating.

Yes, because most people overestimate their caloric burn from exercising.

I dont eat them back. I only eat back part.

This here tells me you don't really know if you're netting the same amount or not. In fact, other than possible water retention, it tells me you're probably not netting the same amount.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I know I do.

I got a Fitbit with move reminders. Problem solved. It dings me 10 minutes before each hour is up, I get up and walk for those 10 minutes. Every single day. Even on my hard run days :wink:

Well, today I missed one of the hours. I was at the dentist :p
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I know I do.

I got a Fitbit with move reminders. Problem solved. It dings me 10 minutes before each hour is up, I get up and walk for those 10 minutes. Every single day. Even on my hard run days :wink:

When I upgrade my Fitbit (currently have the original Charge HR), that is one of the features I am most looking forward to using!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I know I do.

Ya, I only exercise moderately and have never experienced this but rather the "a body in motion stays in motion" phenomenon.

Moderate exercise gives me a positive upward spiral. Today I gardened at lunch which gives me energy to go to the gym after work.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I know I do.

Ya, I only exercise moderately and have never experienced this but rather the "a body in motion stays in motion" phenomenon.

Moderate exercise gives me a positive upward spiral. Today I gardened at lunch which gives me energy to go to the gym after work.

I think it's more for a big change or hard exercise ("very vigorously"). I know if I run a half marathon or long marathon training run or do a really hard bike ride it's easy to think I should just sit around the rest of the day unless I force myself to be active and I am more likely to want to nap.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I know I do.

I didn't know they made fitbits that do that. I do that with calendar reminders on Outlook at work and on my phone at home.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

This is generally for extended vigorous workouts/training. It is generally not really applicable to the average workout session...but yes, you can reach a point of diminishing returns where energy expenditure is concerned if your training is particularly aggressive because you are then tired...fidget less...sit more, etc...basically, your body is going to slow you down on it's own.

Again, this is really only applicable to incessant exercisers and individuals training and participating in extended endurance events. If I go do a 1/2 century or more, I'm going to pretty much be on my *kitten* the rest of the day...whereas if I just go for a 15-20 mile ride, I'm fine and have plenty of energy to take care of my chores or whatever else needs done.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

I know I do.

When I upgrade my Fitbit (currently have the original Charge HR), that is one of the features I am most looking forward to using!

I have a FitBit One and I love everything about it except it doesn't have the move reminders. So I set up silent alarms to go off every hour during the work day to remind me to move around some.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

This is generally for extended vigorous workouts/training. It is generally not really applicable to the average workout session...but yes, you can reach a point of diminishing returns where energy expenditure is concerned if your training is particularly aggressive because you are then tired...fidget less...sit more, etc...basically, your body is going to slow you down on it's own.

Again, this is really only applicable to incessant exercisers and individuals training and participating in extended endurance events. If I go do a 1/2 century or more, I'm going to pretty much be on my *kitten* the rest of the day...whereas if I just go for a 15-20 mile ride, I'm fine and have plenty of energy to take care of my chores or whatever else needs done.

I disagree with the bolded bit: I think it can happen for anyone who is significantly challenging him/herself, in intensity/endurance, anywhere along the fitness continuum.

There are exercise newbies for whom < 30 minutes on the elliptical is less challenging than a century for you, or 4 hours high steady state in the rowing shell for me.

Bless 'em, and may they thrive . . . and go on to find centuries conceivable, and achievable.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,837 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I disagree with the bolded bit: I think it can happen for anyone who is significantly challenging him/herself, in intensity/endurance, anywhere along the fitness continuum.

There are exercise newbies for whom < 30 minutes on the elliptical is less challenging than a century for you, or 4 hours high steady state in the rowing shell for me.

Bless 'em, and may they thrive . . . and go on to find centuries conceivable, and achievable.

Dang. Of course, I mean "more challenging". Darn sangria with dinner, anyway! :)

(Heh: Maintenance, and Friday, FTW!)
  • irandra23
    irandra23 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

OP-when I started this whole thing I was really overwhelmed with a new pre-diabetes diagnosis. I only focused on my calorie/food intake and I kept things really simple. It's worked well for me, but others enjoy exercise and factor it into their plans. Just figure out what works for you and then do that. [/quote]

Oooh Nice its always good to hear from someone who has gone through what your going through. Personally i hate working out my only consolation was is it helps reduce my calories so i am within my daily limit. I used to tell people that i have lost weight in the past with no exercise and they look at me like am mental.
    I guess your right, one has to figure out what plan works for them and sticks to it.

• Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I stall for a week when exercising, but then have a nice whoosh. I'd rather exercise. I look better and feel like a bamf.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I always drank tap water until my last move. The water here is gross. I didn't want to pay for bottled water, so I got this type of water dispenser.
    https://www.amazon.com/PUR-18-Cup-Dispenser-Filter/dp/B00IK5A4U8/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1481385823&sr=1-1&keywords=pur+water+dispenser
    It holds more than a pitcher.
    There are generic water filters that fit it for even more savings.
    I'm sure you could find something that will fit your needs.