Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    If you want to be entertained, check out the forums on the fitbit site, especially the multiple-year threads titled "How Can Anyone Do [50,000, 80,000, some other random number] Steps In A Day?????" And people who join contests on the internet with people who may or may not exist, and complain that people are cheating.

Hhmmm I had a few of those in my last challenge. I swear some of them put their fitbits in the tumble dryer or something to get 50+k steps 7 days a damn week!

50k+ a day all week??? OMG having done 50k once and wanting to die I can't imagine doing that every day. Admittedly I didn't take enough decent rest breaks that day and was battling high winds (which is tiring as hell) but still...I am planning to do a 55k day over my summer break to get that badge but I will be planning it really carefully and you can bet the next day will be a rest day.

Yep! I asked one of them how they did it, and they replied "walks around the neighborhood in the morning and evening ". I felt like asking if they lived in the middle of Africa lol

Yeah...that's not going to get you 50k. I'm currently sitting on a daily average just under 25k (challenging myself to hit my 4 millionth step since getting my Fitbit by the end of the year). Yesterday that was two 7km walks and bootcamp; plus a few thousand from 'non exercise' activity including trying to be mindful to just get up and move every hour. 50k+ in a day is hours. It basically equates to a good 40km worth.

Your challenge pals are doing something dodgy.

Hell yeah they are - We walked Torquay to Bells Beach and back, and I only hit 25k steps. 50k steps is non-stop walking all damn day.

Yeah, I did a challenge and the winner (way ahead of everyone else) was around that number, but he had a job where he walked all day.
  • gamespriteicon
    gamespriteicon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I changed my main goal to 45 active minutes. It feels more helpful to me. But I do pay attention to the steps on weekends because I know with all the moving I'm doing chasing after my son and milk runs I'm still not getting as many steps as I thought and am sometimes turning on youtube videos because I'm not at 3000 and it's well after 2pm. Work days I take 1-2 10-15 min walks for a break, really helps with refocusing on rough days.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    On OP's comments, I used to have a tracker because I wanted to see what my steps were, and I learned that on a normal day with commuting to work and some extra walking I was close to 10K, so I made 10K (nice even number) a goal to hit on a non-exercise day. On an exercise day I may still hit it (if I go to the gym I don't walk less and if I run I go way over), but I might not -- my lowest step days are days I ride my bike to work and back, even if I work in an extra 30 mile ride on the way home. So, eh. I stopped paying attention to steps on days I exercised and focused on completing planned activities or overall time exercising on those days (and then my tracker broke and I didn't replace it since I know what I need to do to be active on a non exercise day).

For me it's pretty easy to hit 10K on most days (but the biking ones) because I have walking built into my life (errands and commuting to work and such), but if you don't and prefer lots of non walking activity (like biking or elliptical), I don't see a reason to care about steps. If you want to make sure you have a certain base of non exercise movement, do what you think makes sense one day, track the steps, and make that the goal, even if it's, say, 5K or 7K or whatever it is.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Fitness and weight loss are two different thing. Weight loss happens when calories in are less than calories out. You could stay in bed 24 hours a day and lose weight as long as you eat less calories than your body burns just surviving. But, that wouldn't be healthy of course which brings us to fitness. Being active is going to help your health, cardiovascular and all sorts of other ways. Hope that helps but don't get too hung up on a step count.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    That recommendation has been around since forever. LONG before all this trendy tracking and logging was mainstream. I have used a pedometer for the past 20 years at least and that was always the minimum they say we "should" aim for so it definitely is not new. Someone posted an article once that tells where we got that number in the first place. Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong. I dunno. But here it is.

bbc.com/news/magazine-33154510
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As a desk dweller, a couple tips.

1. Park further back in the parking lot.
    2. Drink throughout the day. take the long way to dehydrate, upstairs or down if that is an available dehydration option.

Yes! Drink throughout the day! Just be careful on the stairs later :smiley:
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    this is what I use it for...the 10k steps I mean

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

basically tells me how active I am most of the time unless it's a cooking day then it gets shot to hell...

for me I get about 4k in the winter at work...and I am trying everything, summer at work 6k (walk outside) around the building. If I am shopping on my lunch break about another 2k...

so it's the treadmill I go to get the 10k..mainly for the extra food.

It's so confusing because I do have a desk job, but i make it a point to take 10k+ steps each day after work so does that make me active when from 930-4pm im sitting down only getting up to reach the fax/copier i pretty much glued to my phone
  • rioguy
    rioguy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    tylervigen wrote: »
    To answer your other question: 10,000 steps is about 4.7 miles (assuming a 30in step). Jogging 4.7 miles at a leisurely pace would take less than an hour and would be an even better approach to the same goal.

That is not at all true. There are numerous scientific studies showing steady-state cardio at moderate intensity does not work if your goal is solely fat loss. The author of the topic is 39yo, stay-at-home mom with a desk job and thyroid issues -- so for her case, walking is much better than jogging. Yes, jogging 5 miles will expend more calorie than walking but realistically not as much as you think. Maybe an extra 100-150 calories. The bad part is you also stressed the body much more. Stress hormones (such as Cortisol and Adrenaline) will become elevated leading to more harm than good in the long run (at least in the person's case posting the topic).

I live along the beach and literally see hundreds (if not thousands) of people "leisurely jogging" daily. Most (there are exceptions) of them that are over 30 years of age have the following in common: look to be struggling, incorrect form and tensed shoulders/arms, and are FAT in some way. Those under 30, well they look better because their hormones are still in balance not because they are out jogging.

The science has been proven that if a very healthy individual sprints for 30 seconds, rests for a few minutes, then repeats over a 20-minute period this will significantly "burn" more bodyfat in the long run than someone who jogs/does steady-state cardio over a 1-hour period of time. You do not see other animals out in the wild "going for a jog". They are either going all out chasing/fleeing for a very short amount of time, the rest of the time walking or laying down.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    this is what I use it for...the 10k steps I mean

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

basically tells me how active I am most of the time unless it's a cooking day then it gets shot to hell...

for me I get about 4k in the winter at work...and I am trying everything, summer at work 6k (walk outside) around the building. If I am shopping on my lunch break about another 2k...

so it's the treadmill I go to get the 10k..mainly for the extra food.

It's so confusing because I do have a desk job, but i make it a point to take 10k+ steps each day after work so does that make me active when from 930-4pm im sitting down only getting up to reach the fax/copier i pretty much glued to my phone

This is a study done by ncbi...I am just quoting it but I have a desk job and I typicalyl get 10k in a day but that is daily life and exercise.

Without exercise I get about 5-7.5k depends on the season (winter here is not fun) so for me this is a guide for my personal use it has nothing to do with MFP. On MFP I set it sedentary as I do have a desk job and the movement I get is purposeful and tracked.

So don't take this and mix it up with MFP...this is not from MFP.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I used to work from home in a small apartment and even when I went for a 70 minutes walk at lunch and to the gym at night, I wouldn't break 10,000 steps. I'm getting more steps now that I live in a bigger house, but in the past 28 days have only broke 10,000 once. Ironically, none of those steps were from intentional exercise but from errands and going to an outdoor exhibit that entailed walking.

If I worked in an office I could do things to increase steps like park further away from the door and use a distant bathroom. I'm 9 steps from my bathroom now. However, I can garden at lunchtime :D I don't get many steps from gardening, but I do get a better burn than from walking.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    rioguy wrote: »
    tylervigen wrote: »
    To answer your other question: 10,000 steps is about 4.7 miles (assuming a 30in step). Jogging 4.7 miles at a leisurely pace would take less than an hour and would be an even better approach to the same goal.

That is not at all true. There are numerous scientific studies showing steady-state cardio at moderate intensity does not work if your goal is solely fat loss. The author of the topic is 39yo, stay-at-home mom with a desk job and thyroid issues -- so for her case, walking is much better than jogging. Yes, jogging 5 miles will expend more calorie than walking but realistically not as much as you think. Maybe an extra 100-150 calories. The bad part is you also stressed the body much more. Stress hormones (such as Cortisol and Adrenaline) will become elevated leading to more harm than good in the long run (at least in the person's case posting the topic).

I live along the beach and literally see hundreds (if not thousands) of people "leisurely jogging" daily. Most (there are exceptions) of them that are over 30 years of age have the following in common: look to be struggling, incorrect form and tensed shoulders/arms, and are FAT in some way. Those under 30, well they look better because their hormones are still in balance not because they are out jogging.

The science has been proven that if a very healthy individual sprints for 30 seconds, rests for a few minutes, then repeats over a 20-minute period this will significantly "burn" more bodyfat in the long run than someone who jogs/does steady-state cardio over a 1-hour period of time. You do not see other animals out in the wild "going for a jog". They are either going all out chasing/fleeing for a very short amount of time, the rest of the time walking or laying down.

key being "very healthy individual"

It's also been proven that walking for an hour is better in the long run than running for 20mins..

but that has nothing to do with getting in the 10k steps...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I have a general question about fitness. I am steadily losing from 2-2.65 pounds a week apprx. So I am losing, I am working out a minimum of 40 minutes a day. I am trying to build on that a little each week as well. I am fairly sedentary ( I think). I am a stay at home Mom of a five year old, the other kids are in various stages of education up to college. I also own my own business and work from home, much of what I do is on the computer.

My question is... Is 10,000 steps really the end all of how fit you are? When I worked at the hospital I did that and more. Now, I find it really hard to rack up the steps. My activity tracker goes off every 15 minutes and I am thinking, I am SMACK in the middle of a design UGH! I feel like in between sitting at the computer for work, then packing orders, house work, laundry, shopping, picking up kids I am constantly going from the moment I open my eyes until I collapse in the bed late night. My overall goal is to lose the excess weight and be fit. I want to be able to go on runs etc. Can an hour a day of working out get me there? :/

@RemarkablyUnremarkable how much weight do you have to lose? Unless it's over 100 pounds, 2 - 2.65 pounds a week is too fast.

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I have a general question about fitness. I am steadily losing from 2-2.65 pounds a week apprx. So I am losing, I am working out a minimum of 40 minutes a day. I am trying to build on that a little each week as well. I am fairly sedentary ( I think). I am a stay at home Mom of a five year old, the other kids are in various stages of education up to college. I also own my own business and work from home, much of what I do is on the computer.

My question is... Is 10,000 steps really the end all of how fit you are? When I worked at the hospital I did that and more. Now, I find it really hard to rack up the steps. My activity tracker goes off every 15 minutes and I am thinking, I am SMACK in the middle of a design UGH! I feel like in between sitting at the computer for work, then packing orders, house work, laundry, shopping, picking up kids I am constantly going from the moment I open my eyes until I collapse in the bed late night. My overall goal is to lose the excess weight and be fit. I want to be able to go on runs etc. Can an hour a day of working out get me there? :/

For me, it's about 2,000 steps per mile. If I walk to the bathroom and back to my desk once an hour at work, plus the walks to and from my car, I get about 2,200 steps in -- not counting getting ready in the morning and other miscellaneous walking. If I take a one-hour walk during the day, I easily end up around 13,000 steps with all of that.

So, yes, one hour of exercise a day is plenty.

And as other have said, if you're doing other exercise you might be short on steps, but that doesn't mean you aren't doing what you need to do.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

The 10000 steps has to do with activity, not fitness. Personally I think most people under realize the importance of NEAT which is what the 10000 steps would have to do with.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    NanCaudill wrote: »
    yesterday my tracker went off telling me I had reached 10,000 steps... uh I was at my desk all day. However, i was crocheting with it on. Apparently my crochet form makes my tracker think Im walking!

One day last summer, I walked the dog 3 miles before going strawberry picking. While I was on my knees picking, my tracker registered my 10,000th step! So arm movements definitely effect the tracker's step counts.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I doubt I hit 3000 in a day if I take out my treadmill time. Desk job as well. Much more when it warms up, but between the cold and the dark, I just have no desire to go for a walk when I get home.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    NanCaudill wrote: »
    yesterday my tracker went off telling me I had reached 10,000 steps... uh I was at my desk all day. However, i was crocheting with it on. Apparently my crochet form makes my tracker think Im walking!

One day last summer, I walked the dog 3 miles before going strawberry picking. While I was on my knees picking, my tracker registered my 10,000th step! So arm movements definitely effect the tracker's step counts.

This is why I hate trackers. I dread the day pedometers no longer exist.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It's 1030 and I'm up to about 6k already, which is really kind of meaningless other than letting me know I am indeed able to ,move under my own power, but one thing that would be nice is if this thing were able to accurately measure my 5lb (I weighed them) work boots I wear 12 hours a day, and the various equipment I carry all day often up and down stairs at construction sites.

I'll have to set new goals for my fitbit - 7500 steps kind of wears me out on a regular work day lol.