10,000 Steps really??????

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    My days can be exceedingly sedentary (under 2k steps or basically comatose) without making a deliberate effort so I walk 5 miles first thing to get a minimum level of activity in for the day. I don't know if that activity makes me fit but it definitely helps keep me fit even when I'm not doing any other exercise.

Also, for those without pets or tumble dryers putting your ftibit on a desk next to a fan overnight will rack up an effortless 3k steps. B)
  • vixnbrianaf
    vixnbrianaf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are studies that show it's good for you, if you're overweight (see attached link). Sure, the amount of steps aren't the end all be all, activity/heart rate is much more important than just steps alone, but it isn't an arbitrary number that a lot of commentators are suggesting it is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27600387
  • mr_electrician
    mr_electrician Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    10K steps is not hard. Especially when you want it. I have a desk job and usually hit 10K a day. To do this I hit the gym to lift weights at 6 am, walk around the building at work once in the morning and once in the afternoon no matter how cold or hot it is!, and I run on the treadmill for 20 minutes at lunch. How bad do you want it?
  • mr_electrician
    mr_electrician Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My days can be exceedingly sedentary (under 2k steps or basically comatose) without making a deliberate effort so I walk 5 miles first thing to get a minimum level of activity in for the day. I don't know if that activity makes me fit but it definitely helps keep me fit even when I'm not doing any other exercise.

Also, for those without pets or tumble dryers putting your ftibit on a desk next to a fan overnight will rack up an effortless 3k steps. B)

I once did 11K steps in 20 minutes while using the snow blower. Wonder what caused that????
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    There are studies that show it's good for you, if you're overweight (see attached link). Sure, the amount of steps aren't the end all be all, activity/heart rate is much more important than just steps alone, but it isn't an arbitrary number that a lot of commentators are suggesting it is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27600387

No one said it wasn't beneficial...but it is an arbitrary number
    The concept of 10,000 steps originated in Japan in the run-up to the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, says Catrine Tudor-Locke, an associate professor at the Pennington Biomedical Research Centre at Louisiana State University.
    Pedometers became all the rage in the country as Olympic fever swept through Japanese society. One company came out with a device called a manpo-kei, which means 10,000 step meter.
    "It was a business slogan, like 'Just Do It' for Nike, but it resonated with people," Tudor-Locke says.

Again, nobody said it is't beneficial...particularly if someone is chronically unfit and inactive...I do walk, but walking and getting some arbitrary number of steps isn't going to have any particular fitness benefit to me because I'm active way beyond that...it's just not steps.

They could just as easily do a study of swimming some arbitrary amount of miles per day combined with proper diet...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My sister has an office job and when she got a fitbit she tried to maximise her steps by going to the farthest loo, walking back and forth to the photocopier, walking to colleagues desks instead of sending emails etc etc. She ended up getting a talking to from her boss for "wasting time" :rage: So in the draw is where her fitbit now sits!!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    this is what I use it for...the 10k steps I mean

Per this article
    1) <5000 steps.d (sedentary);
    2) 5000-7499 steps.d (low active);
    3) 7500-9999 steps.d (somewhat active);
    4) > or =10,000-12,499 steps.d (active); and
    5) > or =12,500 steps.d (highly active)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

basically tells me how active I am most of the time unless it's a cooking day then it gets shot to hell...

for me I get about 4k in the winter at work...and I am trying everything, summer at work 6k (walk outside) around the building. If I am shopping on my lunch break about another 2k...

so it's the treadmill I go to get the 10k..mainly for the extra food.

So does this mean in MFP I'm low active as I walk this much every day because I walk to and from work?

depends on if you are doing the walk to work because you have to or for exercise...

If purposeful exercise then no...your activity in MFP is before purposeful movement.

Cool! I do it because I have to and then I exercise purposefully on top of this.
  • whiskeykittentoo
    whiskeykittentoo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My tracker "annoys" me every 60 minutes - but I can turn it off or set it for a longer time. My "daily steps" goal was apparently "created" from data I entered into my Garmin connect account (weight, height, activity level, weight loss goal) and it actually wants me to do 10599 steps a day and whines at me if I don't.
    Some days I do WAY more, some days I do about 2000 fewer than required.
    Like you, I set aside a "main" block of exercise time - my dogs and I walk anywhere from 2 km to 5 km every morning (including weekends, because dogs don't know it's weekend :D) and a very short walk during the day (lunch or early afternoon) of about 10 minutes, and then in the evening, another medium length walk with the dogs of about 1.5 km to 2.5 km, depending on how tired the dogs are and how cold/rainy/miserable/hot/whatever it is out. :)
    I don't think 10 000 is necessary, no - especially if you are running around after your kids, and other low-level, but CONSISTENT activities.
    I also do yoga in the morning and my tracker and app (and MFP too) don't seem to think it's worth more than 20-30 calories... I beg to differ! I am SWEATING and my muscles hate me after just a 15 minute intense workout... but the only "yoga" on the list of exercises barely registers in my exercise list...
    SO - excuse the waffle, I will get to my point - I would go with what feels RIGHT FOR YOU!
    If you are already losing that much weight a week (and WELL DONE, by the way!) then I wouldn't worry about the number of steps you have done. The tracker/app can't understand that you are walking with a weight (kid/bags/etc) or racing around the shops (As I do, because I HATE SHOPPING... I do not like lots of people) at full tilt to get stuff done before you RACE OFF to go fetch kids and all that...
    Do what works for you. If you hit a plateau, then yeah, maybe reevaluate... but for now.. just enjoy those pounds coming off! I'm jealous!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    So not on walks around the neighbourhood

And definitely not training, for a marathon or anything else. But it happened! Many times! Which means it's not impossible.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My tracker "annoys" me every 60 minutes - but I can turn it off or set it for a longer time.

What tracker and where can you change the time duration? I've got a Vivoactive HR and all I can do is turn the move alert on or off. So either 1 hour or nothing. I'd rather it bugged me at about 90 minutes.

Thanks
  • joylosesweight
    joylosesweight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I obsessed about the 10k steps when I first got my Fitbit, especially since I was easily hitting 12-15k a day the first few weeks (Pokemon Go had just come out and I was devoting a LOT of my time to that after work lol). My baseline most days is 8k, so I usually feel like as long as I have also done something that gets my body going beyond my usual walking to/from work and around the office, and I'm eating healthy, I don't care what the tracker says. I think with Fitbit you can also alter your daily goal... I've thought about making mine 9k so that I am always hitting just a little over my baseline.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I have a general question about fitness. I am steadily losing from 2-2.65 pounds a week apprx. So I am losing, I am working out a minimum of 40 minutes a day. I am trying to build on that a little each week as well. I am fairly sedentary ( I think). I am a stay at home Mom of a five year old, the other kids are in various stages of education up to college. I also own my own business and work from home, much of what I do is on the computer.

My question is... Is 10,000 steps really the end all of how fit you are? When I worked at the hospital I did that and more. Now, I find it really hard to rack up the steps. My activity tracker goes off every 15 minutes and I am thinking, I am SMACK in the middle of a design UGH! I feel like in between sitting at the computer for work, then packing orders, house work, laundry, shopping, picking up kids I am constantly going from the moment I open my eyes until I collapse in the bed late night. My overall goal is to lose the excess weight and be fit. I want to be able to go on runs etc. Can an hour a day of working out get me there? :/

No, it's a completely arbitrary guideline and has jack to do with how fit you are...someone in Japan or something pretty much literally pulled that number out of their *kitten*...

I don't get in 10K steps most days and I'm more fit than many people I know who do...I can go knock out 50 miles on my bike no problem, my buddy who obsesses about steps can't even come close...

This for sure!!! I also don't get 10k steps in a day, but can run 12km and cycle 120km. I know many people that get well over 10k and couldn't do the same as myself. So don't even worry about it. I work a desk job and am sedentary during the day. I still manage to get my physical activity in, lose weight and build muscle. Agree with the comment that it is a marketing tool. Look at how many FitBits were sold just to track steps! Whoopdeedoo!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So not on walks around the neighbourhood

And definitely not training, for a marathon or anything else. But it happened! Many times! Which means it's not impossible.

Marathon training isn't going to take you to 50k steps as a matter of course, most runs are in the 10-16 mile range with only a few more than that.

But yes, I agree. Taking a couple of months off work to do something like the AT or similar could reasonably get there consistently. Sounds like an interesting logistical challenges as well, reading the FKT reports would suggest a few hundred doing these each season.

I know a fair few people who run a marathon every week and they're not doing much more than 10s midweek.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Meh...I think of 10,000 steps as just a reminder to get off my duff and move my body. I had mine set for a minimum of 14,000 steps during the warmer months and it was easy to accomplish. Not so much with all the indoor time now. But really, as long as you are moving your body regularly and being MINDFUL of getting physical activity I think the activity trackers are GREAT. For me at least. :)
  • DMacV2
    DMacV2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've a desk job with a desktop phone that supports Bluetooth. Meetings that I'm just a body in with little to no interaction, I walk round my desk with my Jabra on.... silly enough.... and easily hit 10K (today I'm at 13,789 and the day is not over). Yeah it's not anything like high impact or running a marathon, but it is something, anything, that can get my butt out of my chair for an hour or so a day. I think the idea is just to move, regardless of the # of steps, so don't beat yourself up over it. I can go from anywhere to 2K clear up to the highest in one day of 33K.
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I once did 11K steps in 20 minutes while using the snow blower. Wonder what caused that????

I reached my first 10k by typing on a keyboard. LOL. Playing piano will also "bolster" your step count.
  • leeannek1
    leeannek1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yah I hear ya. 10K steps sounds ridiculously unachievable. But it's there as a Marketing tool.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I know tomorrow I will blow by the 10K. I've got a hockey game to watch on the treadmill. So 2500 in the morning, 2500 during the day (although I didn't hit that today) and 7-8K watching hockey.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Okay, 10K to me seems a bit unreasonable, but let's face it, unless your exercise if running or walking about 5 miles it is a stretch to attain this goal, I have a more modest goal of 6K and let me tell you, unless I really try, I make about 2-4K on average week days, weekends I would be lucky to make 1.5-2K unless I go shopping.

But, the funny thing about 10K is that, when I was making it every weekday, I had more energy, I felt better, and I did this by making conscious decisions. Not parking so close to the store, walking the long way for everything I wanted and just getting up and moving, in the middle of a TV show when commercials were on I would walk from one end of the house or the room for the duration of the commercial, I did this a couple times a night and the steps added up and the toning moved in.

All in all, 10K is is only as achievable as you are willing to put in the work, unless as I said, your main form of exercise is walking and/or jogging or running and your goal is a minimum amount of miles or kilometers a day.