10,000 Steps really??????

15678911»

Replies

• I maintain 2100-2600 and I only get 3000-6000 steps a day lol whatever.

That's my standard around the house working day. Days I feel really active walking wise its about 5k. The area I work in though is like 10x15 so I am seeing how all my movement doesn't really count in a small area I am pivoting a lot if that makes sense. :)

• As a desk dweller, a couple tips.

1. Park further back in the parking lot.
    2. Drink throughout the day. take the long way to dehydrate, upstairs or down if that is an available dehydration option.

I work from home, Maybe I can park at the neighbors down the street LOL! I do the little things though park far in a parking lot, stairs over elevator if I am out running errands etc though <3
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    OP asked, "Is there a tracker that measures spinning/eliptical etc? That would be nice."

You can also just put a Fitbit Zip on your shoe. I found that it was fairly accurate for distance when I put the FitBit on my shoe while doing pedal kayaking too.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    I work from home too (commute: 3 steps) and get a lot of my exercise from swimming. I still find it pretty easy to reach 10,000 steps.

Your expectations are awfully low.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    I work from home too (commute: 3 steps) and get a lot of my exercise from swimming. I still find it pretty easy to reach 10,000 steps.

Your expectations are awfully low.

what do you do to get your 10k steps. I have been working from home the last couple of days and I need to get on the treadmill every hour and do 10mins plus a 20 min run to get my 10k
  • Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to chime in. I have ditched the idea that I am not moving in a positive direction by not reaching 10k steps. I also realized that I am pretty active while working from home when I am off of my computer but my work area is a whopping 10x15 so I am doing a lot of pivoting from area to area more than a real steps. If that makes sense. I am blessed to have a small area with workout equipment since I know I wouldn't make it to a gym. I am doing about 60 minutes of cardio vascular activity on my treadmill bike or elliptical and getting my Heart rate up :) I also decided to leave on my activity reminder for my tracker. I upped it to 30 minutes though since every 15 was annoying the *kitten* out of me. So, every 30 minutes I just take a moment to do squats, walking squats etc. Nothing that really takes me away from work too long but I am sure over the week adds to my strength and circulation. My goal is still to be able to run. Maybe then Ill hit 10k, maybe not. I won't let that define my progress. I am prone to shin splints and have had a fracture so I am taking it ever so slow at building on my run. But I am still losing weekly and my last treadmill walk/run I realized that the few minutes intervals I ran, I wasn't out of breath or fatigued even! I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Years!

You are doing great :). Ignore the person above, she's a well-known exercise shamer.

Thanks Nony! <3

• butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    I have just started using a tracker and am surprised at how many steps I get, and I have what is considered a "desk job." Yesterday I got over 9,000 steps and really didn't feel like I was trying So I aim for as many steps as I can by kind of making a game out of it, i.e., parking further, walking around the office, etc. But like others said, that number is not some end-all-be-all.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    The days that I take a 3 mile walk I have no problem getting in 10,000+. On the days that I don't I struggle to get 5,000. To help me out I sometimes will march in place or jog in place off and on throughout the day.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    The days that I take a 3 mile walk I have no problem getting in 10,000+. On the days that I don't I struggle to get 5,000. To help me out I sometimes will march in place or jog in place off and on throughout the day.

Hahaha I do this too!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    mph323 wrote: »

Hahaha I do this too!

In the past I have use the C25k app...inside! I will walk in place and then when they signal you to run...I am like a maniac running all over the house. Don't worry...I keep the blinds closed so that my neighbors won't think I have lost my mind. :#

Funny thing is...I have tried running outside...I just don't seem to be able to do it without having to call 911 to give me a lift home.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

Hahaha I do this too!

In the past I have use the C25k app...inside! I will walk in place and then when they signal you to run...I am like a maniac running all over the house. Don't worry...I keep the blinds closed so that my neighbors won't think I have lost my mind. :#

Funny thing is...I have tried running outside...I just don't seem to be able to do it without having to call 911 to give me a lift home.

ooh, I like that idea! I've started C25K in the past and life happened before I finished, and I'd really like to do the program all the way through at least once
  • ValleyHooper
    ValleyHooper Posts: 1,993 Member
    I am trying to become much stricter and get my 10,000 steps in a day. Today so far I am at 21,000 steps.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    If you want to be entertained, check out the forums on the fitbit site, especially the multiple-year threads titled "How Can Anyone Do [50,000, 80,000, some other random number] Steps In A Day?????" And people who join contests on the internet with people who may or may not exist, and complain that people are cheating.

Hhmmm I had a few of those in my last challenge. I swear some of them put their fitbits in the tumble dryer or something to get 50+k steps 7 days a damn week!

This is so funny to me!! Even on the two occasions I have ran marathons, I've only gotten up to ~45000 steps! 50k every day would be a nightmare

The highest I've ever hit was a little over 32k. That was walking around DC from about 8am to 6pm with very little rest. There was a lot to see in one day!

Normally I average around 15k. I run most days of the week and get really close to 10k just by running. Taking care of kids, house, errands, etc gives me the rest.