Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    That's what I want for my burrial, I want to be burried upright and give back to the earth by helping a tree grow we need more trees.

That's definitely going in my will. My minds made up

There is a problem with this, because the human body is so large (I am saying on the average, not yours :-), when it decomposes it creates a sink hole and the tree that you are 'nurturing' will fall over. I know this is one of the reason tree are not planted directly on top of plots in a cemetery, the trees will line the road and will serve as borders.

Back to the drawing board then :neutral:

That's annoying cos the guy i was talking to works for the forestry commission. You would have thought he'd have known that the trees would sink or fall over.. pffft

Now I want to be a gosh darn tree!

.... would you settle for poison oak?

Isn't poison oak a vine not a tree. I do like the idea of irritating people even after I am dead. WIN!

Where I live, it's more of a shrub.
  • marelthu
    marelthu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    marelthu wrote: »
    nolan44219 wrote: »
    have you ever had to get someone ready for burial and thought "damn this ole boy should have been an organ donor?"

I often mumble to myself the opposite actually. Organ donors are a lot of extra work. You have to worry about them leaking so we put them in a plastic coveralls. I think it's a very noble gift. I wouldn't choose if for myself or my family because I wouldn't want to see them picked apart in the behind the scenes stuff.

Really? The loved one could save lives by donating an organ but you'd worry about what happens to their dead body? That seems odd to me. Who cares what happens to the body when they don't need it anymore.

It's just a different perspective based on her own daily experiences witnessing this stuff. You don't ever have to see it yourself, or with your own family member, so of course it doesn't bother you. But for her it's just an honest personal preference. We all feel what we feel and death is very personal. Nothing to get offended about. My own nephew was the recipient of a transplant when he was a baby. He's 13 now and still going strong, so I can see and understand both sides of the issue. I fully respect people's personal choices regarding organ donation either way. B)

I guess. I feel like it should be required by law unless for a religious reason. So many lives could be saved.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    seriously asking for a friend...can you get a tattoo after you are dead?

No, that would be considered mutilation to a corpse.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    I have always thought to get buried in my Army Dress Blues. Recently though I have been thinking of being cremated. Do individuals who are getting cremated, still get dressed to the hilt even if there is no viewing?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    I have always thought to get buried in my Army Dress Blues. Recently though I have been thinking of being cremated. Do individuals who are getting cremated, still get dressed to the hilt even if there is no viewing?

If the family requested for them to be dressed in certain clothes before being cremated we will do it.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options

If the family requested for them to be dressed in certain clothes before being cremated we will do it.

So unless there is a request, you cremate people naked?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options

We cremate them in what they come to us with.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options

So, what do they come with you wearing? Is it hike a hospital smock, or wrapped in a sheet, or maybe just someone in a plastic bag if they have been in a bad accident?
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I've been around a lot of funerals & the one thing I take from them is that they are for the living more than the dead.
    I've seriously reconsidered being buried & going with cremation instead. That's still not a common thing where I'm from & most of the people I know back home would consider it uncouth. Honestly, I don't like the idea of my loved ones spending money on a fancy box or prolonging the decaying of my carcass when it's under 6 feet of dirt. Plots, casket, interment, service, funeral home expenses, etc. It racks up fast & most people don't think to plan ahead for it. I would rather that they saved money for recovering from the loss, because that isn't going to be easy anyhow. Hopefully I have plenty of days left to ponder that choice to come to a definite decision.

Do you ever encounter families or family members that don't like the wishes of of the deceased or they vocalize them publicly? Have they ever tried to drag you into those kinds of things like squabbles about how everything should be handled?

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

do you ever cremate somebody and warm up your lunch at the same time?
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    how much do you charge in cremated ?i understand not all places are the same price but like to have a ball park on the price .
    also can a family member bring there own container to put me in after i am cremated ?
    i have an M&M jar i want to be in before family throws my ashes into the ocean .

plain or peanut?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options

So, what do they come with you wearing? Is it hike a hospital smock, or wrapped in a sheet, or maybe just someone in a plastic bag if they have been in a bad accident?

If they died at a hospital they will be in a gown, if they were at home they would be in their clothes, and if they were autopsied they would be nude in a body bag.

Do you ever encounter families or family members that don't like the wishes of of the deceased or they vocalize them publicly? Have they ever tried to drag you into those kinds of things like squabbles about how everything should be handled?

It's common for family members disagree on little things like whether the casket should be closed during the service. Sometimes the deceased wanted cremation and the next of kin are against it. They often ask us what we think,but we stay neutral and let them handle it among themselves because there is no win win if you choose a side.
    Motorsheen wrote: »

do you ever cremate somebody and warm up your lunch at the same time?

Nope. Microwaves are cheaper to run.
    how much do you charge in cremated ?i understand not all places are the same price but like to have a ball park on the price .
    also can a family member bring there own container to put me in after i am cremated ?
    i have an M&M jar i want to be in before family throws my ashes into the ocean .

We charge $1,100. Prices vary by regions.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Ever been to a Turkish prison? Seen a grown man naked?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    wow that is expensive , what about the 2 other questions i asked ? - thanks

Your ashes can go in whatever container you choose.

$1,100 is considered cheap for a cremation.I know of several funeral homes that charge $3,000+.
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Do you know of Caitlin Doughty's youtube videos? I have yet to get here books. Its fascinating stuff.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

$1,100 is considered cheap for a cremation.I know of several funeral homes that charge $3,000+.

what happens if family members do not have the money has that ever happen ?

camping%20marshmallow%20smore%20fire%20shutterstock_12269721489355.jpg
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options

what happens if family members do not have the money has that ever happen ?

We can turn people away.
    Sara2652 wrote: »
    Do you know of Caitlin Doughty's youtube videos? I have yet to get here books. Its fascinating stuff.
    I've seen her videos and I've read her book, but honestly, I'm not a big fan.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for you to answer my questions.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options

$1,100 is considered cheap for a cremation. I know of several funeral homes that charge $3,000+.

Having had to pay or help pay for numerous funerals, I think $1100 is very reasonable and wish more of my kin had elected for cremation. Urns are not that expensive.