Ask a mortician

Options
LittleHearseDriver
LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
I'm a licensed funeral director and embalmer at a small family-owned funeral home in Tennessee. If there is anything you are dying to know, ask away. ;)

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    What's the #1 song on the funeral home playlist?

Have you ever had to work on someone you knew personally?

Do you ever eat your lunch there in the funeral home?

• concavenotconvex
    concavenotconvex Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh! Don't know if you would know, but when the obese are cremated do they chop the body parts to make them fit? I've heard crematoriums have burned down because the dead were just too fat and fit improperly.

Second question: what's the smell like?

Final question: do you ever use the corpses as puppets? Like I get they're dead and stuff, but the living don't have to be so morbid.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Are you hiring?
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Do you fear death?
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Do you get choked up looking at dead people? Not crying but seeing a dead frozen body in front of you? Also what do you think? Do you make jokes sometimes at their expense? Do you have trouble with certain types of bodies .. I can ask questions all day
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    What's the most interesting thing you've found lodged inside a body cavity?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    @thesunmoonandstars the best part of my job is when a family looks me in the eye and thanks me for making the hardest time of their life easier. the worst part of my job is when families act like an episode of Jerry Springer. I am in the process writing a book about my experiences. sometimes when I'm at work by myself I hear someone coughing but I have never seen anything. the cost of funerals & cremations vary by location. for example at my job are average funeral cost $5,200 and 50 miles away in Nashville the average funeral starts at $10,000. they do the exact same thing that we do, they just charge more. corporate owned funeral homes are generally much pricier than local mom-and-pop funeral homes. my advice would be to shop around and to prepay for your funeral or cremation. you can make monthly payments on it for up to 60 months.

Do you do layaway?

I'm on a budget.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to cremate a body? Also have you ran into any necrophiliacs yet?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png