Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,368 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am those are ashes and left-over bone fragments.

Thank you so much for your kind words guys, it means a lot. Two months ago I started writing a book about this sort of stuff, but I got discouraged and thought "No one wants to read about this" so I put it on the back burner. Your interest has inspired me to start writing again! It's been fun answering these questions, I can't thank you all enough <3

Do the book people would totally read it.

The funniest part when I was speaking with a dmfuneral director was him explaining g the cremation process. How they put the ashes in a bag and thst goes to the funeral home. I looked at him and asked...so you'll give me a ziploc baggie of my dad???
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I think you have introduced the platform for your book right here...
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    So has working in your field made you feel differently about life?

(Vague I know)

I spent some time working in a transplant ward and it made me a bit of a zelot about blood/organ donation. And my parents being in the legal field made me proritise life insurance and wills (I don't know any of my peers who are that organised!)
  • dkayingram
    dkayingram Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Write the book!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    ooo, yeah- a book on this would be interesting. Like a coffee table book with funny and odd stories- I would totally buy that. my family actually knows a few morticians- my mother's friend in elementary was the daughter of one- they'd play hide and seek in the room with the coffins. And my step uncle is also a mortician- he dad called him Digger and it took waaaay to long for me to put it together.
    In NY you can't cremate animals in the same furnace as people. Can you do that in your state?
  • Tr4pQueen
    Tr4pQueen Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How fast will I lose my gainz?
    Or is all this lifting and macros and logging and weighing for nothing, b/c in the end buried is buried and burned is burned...we all end up the same.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    You let us know when that book is available!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    What do you do with the blood you drain from the body? And how long does embalming last?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    If would happen if I drank some embalming fluid?

.... like a gallon of the stuff

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin who is a mortician. His sister is a gerontologist. I tell them they should partner.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I have a cousin who is a mortician. His sister is a gerontologist. I tell them they should partner.

Sister to Old Person: Me and my brother the mortician would just like to have a chat with you

Old Person: Oh, Hell No. Go away!!!
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    @_unsteady_ No, I have never come across that

@ninerbuff The blood goes down the drain into the city sewer :s Embalming an unautopsied body last about an hour and an autopsies one take about 2 hours.

@Motorsheen You would be my next client. A few sips would kill you.