Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    @LittleHearseDriver - I have two more questions please...

What's something about dead bodies that would surprise most people?

When you hear about cases where a guy wakes up alive in a bodybag or a morgue freezer, has there been a mistake made by someone, or is it actually possible for a body to exhibit no vital signs at all, and then regain them later?

In restorative art class, we studied the face in great depth and learned how to restore the face after severe trauma. We were taught to based the dimensions off a missing nose, ear, etc from other facial features. For example your eye is the same width of your nose. Your nose is the same length as your ear. The mouth is two eyes wide and so on. It was comical to watch people during our test because they would be rubbing and touching their faces trying to remember dimensions :D

I don't think I'm qualified enough to answer your second question. I have no education in the medical field.

• LittleHearseDriver
    Options

But what about folks who cannot donate organs or even blood due to an existing medical condition that could be passed on to the recipient of the donor organ/skin/blood?

We farm folks have been composting animal carcasses for many years.

If they died in the hospital under long term care they would know their medical history and automatically opt them out of the donation process.

• suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @LittleHearseDriver , How did your high school friends die?
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Best. Thread. Ever!

Read the entire thing! I would totally buy your book!

Great questions, awesome answers.

My cousins owned a funeral home and when I was in school, ages ago, I got a tour and watched an embalming for a book report I did called "The American Way of Death." The whole process was fascinating!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    @LittleHearseDriver Thanks for this informative. Educational and entertaining thread.
    1. Several TV cop/detective shows have had medical examiner or similar type people, Do you watch any or do you have had any favorite show or characters?

2. Ever watch Six Feet Under on HBO years ago?

My DW wants to be cremated but I want to be buried. I asked her to have the kids sprinkle a few if her ashes on my grave.

She wants her ashes scattered under a beautiful tree with spectacular fall leaves.

3. Is it legal to just do that in some park?
  • jgeig327
    jgeig327 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @LittleHearseDriver

I am a hospice social worker, but I've always said I will one day go back to school for mortuary science. I have 2 questions:
    1. Can you briefly tell me how long such schooling will take (if I went straight through) and also if there are any additional hours (interning) and tests (licensure) that needs to take place before working in a funeral home?

2. What are your thoughts about the "natural" burial options that are starting to surface these days? I've read about "burial pod" where they will plant memorial parks rather than cemeteries. I think that is a wonderful option, though I realize it is not available at this time. Do you think that will ever become a reality or does the corporate money makers have a strangle-hold on the traditional cemetery and burial styles. Also, what about truly natural burials- like with materials that will truly decompose without the plastics, toxins, etc- do you think that will be an option at some point?

I once went to a very old cemetery where I used to live. There was something about it that was magnetizing. I went to take photos. There was one stone that I found, right in the middle of the cemetery, cracked straight down the middle, with a big tree growing straight out of the center. It was so beautiful and it made me realize that all of these stones, cement, plastic, etc that we bury in the ground is so wasteful, and that nature is continuously being assaulted by these items, that I've always felt to be quite unnecessary. I guess that was the beginning of my desire to see more eco-friendly options when it comes to funeral arrangements. After seeing that tree breaking through the headstone, it never made sense to me why we can't simply, return to the earth and create new life, trees, bushes etc. That's why when I saw those burial pods, I was so excited... even though I know its still a long way to go before we get there.

(apologies if you've answered these already, I am still reading through the thread)
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    My friends (Devin and Berber) were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Devin's mom was in the process of filing for divorce. Her husband went on a rampage and murdered six people (his wife, father-in-law, brother-in-law, a family friend, and my two friends)blog.al.com/breaking/2011/07/jacob_shaffer_pleads_guilty_in.html

@Jimb376mfp Finishing Six Feet Under is on my to do list. I have the first two seasons, but I haven't had the chance to buy the other seasons yet. Its an entertaining show, but not 100% accurate. Hollywood glamourizes everything.

The only places that I've heard of that frown on ashes being scattered are National Parks and Disney World/Land. If there is a place that really means something to you, I say scatter them and ask for forgiveness later. Or you could always play dumb if someone confronts you ;)
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    jgeig327 wrote: »
    @LittleHearseDriver

I am a hospice social worker, but I've always said I will one day go back to school for mortuary science. I have 2 questions:
    1. Can you briefly tell me how long such schooling will take (if I went straight through) and also if there are any additional hours (interning) and tests (licensure) that needs to take place before working in a funeral home?

2. What are your thoughts about the "natural" burial options that are starting to surface these days? I've read about "burial pod" where they will plant memorial parks rather than cemeteries. I think that is a wonderful option, though I realize it is not available at this time. Do you think that will ever become a reality or does the corporate money makers have a strangle-hold on the traditional cemetery and burial styles. Also, what about truly natural burials- like with materials that will truly decompose without the plastics, toxins, etc- do you think that will be an option at some point?

-In the state of Tennessee, you must graduate from an accredited mortuary college with a degree in funeral service which takes 16 months, pass the national boards, pass the state law test, and serve a one year apprenticeship.

-I think green burials are wonderful. The burial pods that I have looked into required the body to be in the fetal position in order to fit. Its seems like it would be a pain in the *kitten* to get them in there that way. Hopefully they will come out with a better design.

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    @LittleHearseDriver - I have two more questions please...

What's something about dead bodies that would surprise most people?

When you hear about cases where a guy wakes up alive in a bodybag or a morgue freezer, has there been a mistake made by someone, or is it actually possible for a body to exhibit no vital signs at all, and then regain them later?

In restorative art class, we studied the face in great depth and learned how to restore the face after severe trauma. We were taught to based the dimensions off a missing nose, ear, etc from other facial features. For example your eye is the same width of your nose. Your nose is the same length as your ear. The mouth is two eyes wide and so on. It was comical to watch people during our test because they would be rubbing and touching their faces trying to remember dimensions :D

I don't think I'm qualified enough to answer your second question. I have no education in the medical field.

What sort of materials do you use for restoration?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Wax
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Do you think the whole 'everyone loses 7lb at the point of death' thing is true? I.e. The human soul weighs 7lbs?
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    My friends (Devin and Berber) were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Devin's mom was in the process of filing for divorce. Her husband went on a rampage and murdered six people (his wife, father-in-law, brother-in-law, a family friend, and my two friends)blog.al.com/breaking/2011/07/jacob_shaffer_pleads_guilty_in.html

@Jimb376mfp Finishing Six Feet Under is on my to do list. I have the first two seasons, but I haven't had the chance to buy the other seasons yet. Its an entertaining show, but not 100% accurate. Hollywood glamourizes everything.

The only places that I've heard of that frown on ashes being scattered are National Parks and Disney World/Land. If there is a place that really means something to you, I say scatter them and ask for forgiveness later. Or you could always play dumb if someone confronts you ;)

@LittleHearseDriver That is so awful. What a tragedy.
    We used to live near there... We were outside of Huntsville, worked in Huntsville, and sometimes would drive 30 minutes across the border into TN.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Do you think the whole 'everyone loses 7lb at the point of death' thing is true? I.e. The human soul weighs 7lbs?

I though it was something in grams? 21? 25?

The weight of a human soul is 7 grams (1 oz is about 30 grams)
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    This thread is now more like the 'Dear Abby' page. Dear Mortician, tatts or no tatts, or Dear Mortician, give me weigth loss tips plz, or Dear Mortician, how do I add friends