Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Ask a mortician

Replies

• LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member

Were they from Georgia?

Nope

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    So. Many. Questions.

OK, Why does the blood go down the drain? Is it not usable once someone dies and why?

What is the most common place they take skin from in a skin donation? Muscle?

How DO you keep a mouth shut if it isn't cooperative?

Did they use to sew eyes and mouths shut before your fancy contact things?

Why is open-casket seemingly the biggest tradition? I've heard it's to "say goodbye" or provide peace to the family, but really... I'd rather they not have an image of me dead in their heads. Why?? Why why why? Can I voluntarily insist on a closed casket before they burn me? While playing Purple People Eater? Maybe?

Is jewelry removed before cremation? What about that big mac and fries? Can you burn that with the body?

• Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited January 2017
    I made it through this whole thread...just got to the end and hit refresh to make sure. Great thread OP!!!

Yes - count me in on the book pre-order.

Now for my two questions:

How hot is the fire used for cremation?
    and
    When you cremate someone, does smoke come out of the chimney?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Thank you madam
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Still the most interesting thread on the board! And I adore your new profile pic.

Agree. On both counts. :)
  • rather_be_snacking
    rather_be_snacking Posts: 38 Member
    This thread is absolutely fascinating! Can I be your friend too, please. Why is there no smoke from the crematorium after the first body??
  • LittleHearseDriver

If we could combine it with the selfie thread then we would really have sumtin!!!

Oh goodness, I would get life in prison and be sued a million times! If I do go to prison will you at least bring me a big mac and fries?

@rather_be_snacking It goes out the chimney

• LittleHearseDriver
    Sounds like a plan
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    I tell my kids, 24 and 19, that if I drop dead, cremate me in a cardboard box because I do not want to be laying in that casket 10 years later looking the same. How long does the body stay in that state with embalming fluid? Can you choose not to have the embalming fluid?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    How long does the body stay in that state with embalming fluid? Can you choose not to have the embalming fluid?
    Embalming doesn't stop decomposition, it slows in down drastically. Some people stay intact for years and others decay quickly. It all depends on how well they were embalmed and what the cause of death is. Embalming is not required by law in Tennessee, each state has their own rules and regulations.
  • xaryo
    xaryo Posts: 104 Member
    What about aquamation?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    edited January 2017
    Embalming is not a requirement. Most people think embalming is required by law, but its something the old funeral directors would tell people so they could make more money.
    But doesn't the body decompose faster without embalming fluid? And the smell would be noxious right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• LittleHearseDriver
    Embalming is kind of like pickling eggs. It won't make them last forever, but it will make it last a lot longer.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Do you listen to music while working, or is that too awkward?

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Embalming is kind of like pickling eggs. It won't make them last forever, but it will make it last a lot longer.

What's the purpose of the embalming? I know it's so they don't decompose so quickly and burial can be arranged. But is that the only reason? Is there some historical/religious reasons for embalming?

I do not want to be embalmed. My husband says I have to be buried (Catholic) but I don't wanna be locked in a box for ever. I'd rather be creamated or a green burial. Maybe if the blood went to the dirt and not to the doody recycling facility.

And if I make my wishes known in a will, can my family do what ever they choose with my remains?

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    cee134 wrote: »
    Would you rather be cremated or buried and why?

I don't think you are actually allowed to taxidermy a person (but I haven't done in depth research), so I would go with cremation since it is cheaper than burial.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Have you had any creepy/weird incidents involving bodies?