Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    Do you think the whole 'everyone loses 7lb at the point of death' thing is true? I.e. The human soul weighs 7lbs?

I though it was something in grams? 21? 25?

The weight of a human soul is 7 grams (1 oz is about 30 grams)

:lol: Together we figured it out. She had 7, I had grams

Team work!

Although actually you were right. It's 21 grams
    http://www.historicmysteries.com/the-21-gram-soul-theory/
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    -I think green burials are wonderful. The burial pods that I have looked into required the body to be in the fetal position in order to fit. Its seems like it would be a pain in the *kitten* to get them in there that way. Hopefully they will come out with a better design.

We have a similar issue if a horse dies or has to be put down in a stall, some horse people and vets are learning what is called "folding", basically tucking and tying all the limbs and head and neck around to the torso, for easier removal from the stall, and easier transport to either the grave site or compost site. Obviously it needs to be done before rigor sets in.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    What do you do with the bodies that get donated to science? Do you ship them somewhere or does 'science' come get them?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    After the medical schools are finished with their research, the body is cremated and the ashes are given to the family.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    After the medical schools are finished with their research, the body is cremated and the ashes are given to the family.

Does the research facility pay for the cremation?
  • LittleHearseDriver
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Yes, they do. If you want to be donated for medical research you will need to sign up for their waiting list.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Thanks @Marillian, I didn't have to motivation nor the willing power to explain it like you did. My brain was mush earlier.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Marillian wrote: »
    Yes, they do. If you want to be donated for medical research you will need to sign up for their waiting list.

If you want to donate your body to science, I suggest you contact your local University hospital and ask for their anatomical donation office. There are registration forms you can fill out so when you pass away, the facility will take care of everything. However, with whole body donation (i.e., leaving your body to science), your body gets taken right away after you die; no viewing, no funeral (unless it's a memorial service with no body). Should you register, it's not permanent. You can always change your mind. Just be sure to destroy the registration documents and notify the facility that you are cancelling the registration.

No matter how you wish your body to be disposed of (burial, cremation, entombed, donating your body to science, etc.), write down your wishes and give copies to the person you choose to be your funeral representative, or your executor or executrix. Although you can include your body disposal wishes in your Last Will and Testament, some Wills are not read right after a person passes away, so your wishes may not be known or carried out.

If you are 18 or older, you need three documents for your estate plan: A Will, a power of attorney, and an advanced medical directive. It is a misconception that you don't need a Will because you don't have any money or property. Everyone has an "estate" by virtue of being born. A Will makes it much easier on your family because you are stating your last wishes, and you are appointing a person to carry out those wishes (called your executor or executrix). If you die intestate (without a Will), your family has to go to court for someone to be appointed as the administrator of your estate. It can be a tedious process in a very upsetting time.

Some people have the superstition that if you make a Will, you'll die right afterwards. Not true. Just look at it as signing a business document.

Buzz kill.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been involved in an exhumation of a body? How about having to deal with a death of a John/Jane Doe and where are they buried if there's no prepaid ground site?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    still reading every question/response and random post...just saying :-)
  • tatyana73
    tatyana73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that the cause of death affects the embalming. I'm curious as to how or what kind (causes) of deaths cause the embalmed body to decompose faster or slower? Thanks for this thread...I think we are all interested in this thread because all of us have faced death of someone close to us
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Liver and kidney disease effect embalming because the build up of ammonia. Ammonia neutralizes formaldehyde and bodies don't firm up like they should.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had to intern a new born? How emotional was it for you if you did?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options

@Heartisalonelyhunter I have never had anyone move, but they can make a burping sound when you are transferring them front table to table.

This is one thing I wish I was warned about. I had been out of school a few years and we were transferring a patient who passed away to the morgue. I screamed like a school girl and ran from the room. Was NOT expecting that!