Ask a mortician

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    So in many Asian cultures, the burying of the individuals have the heads facing the setting of the sun. Have you ever screwed that up?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    So in many Asian cultures, the burying of the individuals have the heads facing the setting of the sun. Have you ever screwed that up?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've never had anyone ask us to do that :o
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Sounds good to me.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    happimess1 wrote: »
    On 10 April 1901, Dr. Duncan MacDougall set out to conduct an unusual experiment in Dorchester, Massachusetts. He wanted to prove that the human soul had mass, and was therefore, measurable.

He conducted this experiment on six dying patients whose bodies were weighed before and after death to determine any differences measured by the delicate scales.

Long story short, Dr. MacDougall concluded that a human soul weighed 21 grams.

What do you make of it? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall_(doctor) see Reception section

From http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

"So, out of six tests, two had to be discarded, one showed an immediate drop in weight (and nothing more), two showed an immediate drop in weight which increased with the passage of time, and one showed an immediate drop in weight which reversed itself but later recurred. And even these results cannot be accepted at face value as the potential for experimental error was extremely high, especially since MacDougall and his colleagues often had difficulty in determining the precise moment of death, one of the key factors in their experiments. (MacDougall later attempted to explain away the timing discrepancies by concluding that "the soul's weight is removed from the body virtually at the instant of last breath, though in persons of sluggish temperament it may remain in the body for a full minute.") "

So, probably not worth putting too much weight (pun intended) behind Dr. MacDougall's work in this field.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    happimess1 wrote: »
    On 10 April 1901, Dr. Duncan MacDougall set out to conduct an unusual experiment in Dorchester, Massachusetts. He wanted to prove that the human soul had mass, and was therefore, measurable.

He conducted this experiment on six dying patients whose bodies were weighed before and after death to determine any differences measured by the delicate scales.

Long story short, Dr. MacDougall concluded that a human soul weighed 21 grams.

What do you make of it? :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall_(doctor) see Reception section

From http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

"So, out of six tests, two had to be discarded, one showed an immediate drop in weight (and nothing more), two showed an immediate drop in weight which increased with the passage of time, and one showed an immediate drop in weight which reversed itself but later recurred. And even these results cannot be accepted at face value as the potential for experimental error was extremely high, especially since MacDougall and his colleagues often had difficulty in determining the precise moment of death, one of the key factors in their experiments. (MacDougall later attempted to explain away the timing discrepancies by concluding that "the soul's weight is removed from the body virtually at the instant of last breath, though in persons of sluggish temperament it may remain in the body for a full minute.") "

So, probably not worth putting too much weight (pun intended) behind Dr. MacDougall's work in this field.

This made me think of a passage from a biography of Louisa May Alcott and her father, when we come to the death of Elizabeth, Louisa May's sister (the model for Beth in "Little Women"). I found an online link to the passage:

https://sdsulittlewomen.wordpress.com/2011/04/19/grieving-for-lizzie/

And here's the text:

"“At three o’clock Sunday morning, on the cloudless night of March 14th, it was over. A few moments later, Louisa saw a shadow fall across the face of her sister. Then, to her quiet astonishment, she watched as a light mist rose from the body, floated upward, and vanished into the air. As she visually followed the course of this phenomenon, Louisa noticed that her mother’s eyes were moving in the same direction. ‘What did you see?’ Louisa asked. Abba described the same mist. The attending physician, incredibly named Dr. Christian Geist, confirmed what they had witnessed. It was, he said, the life departing visibly. When she died, Lizzie looked to Louisa like a woman of forty, her small frame worn down by the wasting illness and all of her fine hair gone” (Matteson 236)."

No real opinion from me here, but it's interesting, and I think I remember reading afterward that this isn't particularly uncommon.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Have you ever gotten creepers wanting to spend time with bodies alone? and not just to grieve
  • Bucknutz247
    Bucknutz247 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What was the worst smell you ever encountered
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Have you ever gotten creepers wanting to spend time with bodies alone? and not just to grieve

Its common for young people to call and ask to watch an embalming. We don't allow it because it's tacky and disrespectful to the deceased plus the state can take away your establishment license if they found out. A funeral home in my town will let anyone who ask watch an embalming, I have no respect for them whatsoever.

What was the worst smell you ever encountered

A young guy overdosed in his apartment and the family didn't find him for almost 2 weeks. He was soupy. His mom wanted a lock of his hair and when I went to grab his hair the scalp came off with it.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    Leave it alone. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.
  • Bucknutz247
    Bucknutz247 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Omg that's gross....and totally awesome
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Have you ever worked on someone who was really in shape, like a body builder? Did they still have their six pack?
    Not a bodybuilder, but I have worked on people who are we're in great shape. Formaldehyde synthesizes with the proteins in muscle tissue and makes the tissues firm. The more muscle a person has the better they embalm usually.

Are you scared of dying now?
    Do you sew the eyes shut?
    For the most part it doesnt scare me, occasionally I get a little weary about it.

We use eye caps to keep the eyes closed and to keep them from sinking in. They look like contacts with little spikes on top. If the eyes still peep open a little we super glue them closed.
    Hey OP
    Fantastic topic! I had a similar childhood (well, the going to many cemeteries part). Very fascinating, especially the old cemeteries and their histories. I still find them fascinating.

My question is, how 'competitive' is business really between funeral homes? Also, what is one of the strangest moments you've encountered in your job?

Do you ever embalm and reconstruct? If yes, what was the most challenging reconstruction you or your employee worked on?
    It depends on the area and the owners of the funeral homes. My town has 5 funeral homes and only one of them talks crap about the other four. The rest of the funeral homes are supportive and help eachother out. They like to tell people I'm a secretary just to piss me off. The narrow minded hicks think I woman can do what they can.

A lady and her husband came in to pre arranged his cremation. He has a heart condition and had an up coming surgery so they wanted everything planned out in case he didn't make it through the procedure. She asked me if it was possible for me to cut out her husband's heart before we cremate.

The most challenging reconstruction I've done was a guy who shot himself. I was able to make him look normal. I was so proud of myself and the family was thrilled he looked like himself.

How very fascinating! Thank you for answering.

Okay, I am curious.... my mom passed away from heart disease in April. I wasn't able to make it to the viewing, but I was given photos. She looked so bloated in the face. She was in a 'cold room' for almost a week due to being in a small town (I guess there was a line up?) What would be the cause of the bloat? Was she perhaps not embalmed since she was cremated later? Her face looked tight and plastic.... broke my heart to see her looking so different.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    Options
    It could have been swelling from her heart condition or because she laid around so long. Maybe even both.
  • Zoee2017
    Zoee2017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Odd world we live in. I have lymphatic failure. Once after being hospitalized O stayed in a mortuary to heal. Didn't want to go into a nursing home. So a friend who lives and worked in a mortuary got her bosses permission for me to stay for a month. When healed enough I helped clean the mortuary and helped set up for funerals. Peaceful place. Kind people. Great that you found your calling. Takes a very special person. Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    I only have one question.

What are you wearing?
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Options
    Have you ever met a necrophiliac? I would imagine people like that try hard to get jobs in funeral homes
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    What has been your favorite costume that someone was buried in? If I were to be buried, I'd want to look like a Jedi.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,503 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I only have one question.

What are you wearing?

2ke9pa2z4whj.jpg
    Have you ever met a necrophiliac? I would imagine people like that try hard to get jobs in funeral homes

As far as I know, I've never met one

Wow !

simply beautiful