"You can lose weight without working out". YES. But...

Options

Replies

• red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    rkg1966 wrote: »
    I 100% agree that being in a calorie deficit is all it takes to lose weight.

But when I read on the boards people telling others who are struggling to make time to work out "You don't need exercise to lose weight" I cringe a little....mostly because in my own case it all started with exercise.
    I started swimming, and wanted to be better at it so I took up C25K, then figured eating better would probably help with both, bringing me to the calorie deficit that put me into the "normal weight" BMI for the first time in my adult life. Even now, exercising is the engine for me. If I'm working out, I WANT to eat well. If not, I don't care.

So perhaps there are other "latent" athletes out there for whom the advice to make time to work out could be the trigger that changes everything, and we're discouraging that by saying "Nah, don't worry about it, just eat less".

Thoughts?

I absolutely HATE to work out so I WILL NOT make time for it. I will stick with my calorie deficit to lose weight and I will eat adequate protein to help spare my muscles. So, it's 100% diet for me 0% exercise.

I don't know which is a more disappointing reflection on current society: The fact that someone could be so passionately against something so beneficial to their health (compete with liberal use of caps), or that others on this forum apparently agree with you.

i think to each his own , we are a big world with lots of different people . Nothing wrong with that and i would hate to think we are all the same .
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm only bothered when people just write, "You can lose weight without working out" without going into further detail.
    First off, I feel like the difference between formal exercise versus activity is not clarified enough. People can choose to adopt an active lifestyle so that that a set workout is not necessary if they don't really want to set time aside for it. The first couple months I was losing weight, I did a lot of DVD programs to help with the CO portion of the equation. I didn't truly see/understand the difference and impact of non-formal exercise until I got a Fitbit. I found out that it was easier and more fun just to incorporate activity into my life. I do a lot of yoga, and I still do video programs or workouts every once in a while for fun, but for the most part, I'm content getting my heartbeat up by taking short walks throughout the day, taking stairs, shopping inefficiently, etc. It adds up pretty quickly, and I hit 20k+ steps a day quite often these past couple months without feeling like I put forth a ton of effort. I feel good, and it all feels very sustainable.
    Also, if a person is short and light like me, their TDEE for a sedentary lifestyle is not that high to begin with, and for weight loss, that number will be even lower. While portion control is not impossible, it can be more difficult to have a tiny portion of favorite foods, especially with holidays and parties. Staying active not only keeps a person in good health, but it also helps improve their quality of life so that they can enjoy more of the fuel needed to keep them alive.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Being older than most of you, I can say that exercise is more important to me. I have OA and if I don't move I stiffen up. This has been going on for 20 yrs, but it's only since I started MFP, 3 and a half years ago, that I became inspired to do more by all you dedicated folks. I found that pushing myself to do more made me feel so much better. Not everyone likes formal exercise--and that's OK. My pool and gym are already chock full. ;)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I cringe too when people throw that piece of terrible advice out there. Exercise helps increase the calories a person will burn in a day and also it will help create more muscle mass which also will itself increase calorie burn in general. Since muscle is active tissue as opposed the dead weight that fat is. I know some people just seriously don't have time for exercise and others seriously despise exercise, and for those people they need the hope of losing weight with out exercise. And yeah, they may be able to lose weight with no exercise but that doesn't mean we should run around telling everyone that they don't need exercise when they come in looking for advice on exercise.

There was a lady who posted once stating she was a stay home mother with small children and needed ways to exercise from home to assist her weight loss efforts. All the "You don't need exercise to lose weight!" and "Stop making excuses!" Crowd came out to put her through the wringer. I don't think she ever came back here again thanks to all the unhelpful, and to be honest quite snarling and rude, "advice" she received here.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    kermax39 wrote: »
    I dont exercize, iv lost 54lbs. I walk to the shops and walk the dog, look after my toddler and work....I.dont really stop all day. So theres no chance in hell im getting up at 4am to do a run or wasting precious evenings at the gym when I dont need to. U dont need exercize to lose weight or to be healthy.

"I don't exercize"
    but
    "I walk to the shops and walk the dog"

So you do exercise...............

There is a difference in exercise for the purpose of exercise, calorie burn, gaining physical stamina, strength and endurance and traveling somewhere on foot for an entirely different purpose. Purposeful exercise will likely come with an effort which is directed at improvement of many physical and mental factors. You know that though.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I dont exercize, iv lost 54lbs. I walk to the shops and walk the dog, look after my toddler and work....I.dont really stop all day. So theres no chance in hell im getting up at 4am to do a run or wasting precious evenings at the gym when I dont need to. U dont need exercize to lose weight or to be healthy.

"I don't exercize"
    but
    "I walk to the shops and walk the dog"

So you do exercise...............

I dont call that exercize.....thats a,normal part of a 40 year old working mothers daily routine. How many exercize calories can I eat back for going to the shop to buy milk?

I walk my dog a total of 60 minutes a day...usually works out to approximately 350-400 calories, according to my tracker. I'd say that would be considered exercise to someone who does not workout, or is otherwise very sedentary. So to answer your question, if you walk a half hour to, then from the store, you could easily eat back 200-300, depending on your goals.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I thought that advice was mostly given to people who think they can exercise the pounds away without managing their food consumption.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    eissacf25 wrote: »
    For those of you arguing about exercise vs being active - when it comes to weight loss, just simplify the 'out' as well. Walking the dog for instance, can be called 'exercise', it can be just 'active in every day life' or it can mean nothing to you, but what doesn't change for every single one of us, is that it's burning calories.

Very well said :)