"You can lose weight without working out". YES. But...

Options

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I don't like lifting weights. I would rather run a 10k in an hour than to lift for an hour. But I know lifting conserves muscle and I've noticed a huge difference in my ballet technique since I started lifting.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    kermax39 wrote: »
    I dont exercize, iv lost 54lbs. I walk to the shops and walk the dog, look after my toddler and work....I.dont really stop all day. So theres no chance in hell im getting up at 4am to do a run or wasting precious evenings at the gym when I dont need to. U dont need exercize to lose weight or to be healthy.

"I don't exercize"
    but
    "I walk to the shops and walk the dog"

So you do exercise...............

There is a difference in exercise for the purpose of exercise, calorie burn, gaining physical stamina, strength and endurance and traveling somewhere on foot for an entirely different purpose. Purposeful exercise will likely come with an effort which is directed at improvement of many physical and mental factors. You know that though.

What is different between a walk with the dog and a walk without the dog?

Well, for one, when I walk alone I pick up poop absolutely never. :D

And the dogs are always wanting to stop and sniff stuff. Without them I just walk solid without stopping.

This is my biggest issue with my dog. I usually have to take 2 separate walks -- one purposeful brisk walk sans dog and then one foot-dragging, poop picking up, stop and sniff everything stroll. But that's just the way my dog is -- all dogs are different!

I have 2 dogs of the same breed and even they don't walk the same. One I think I could graduate to running with, the other, not a hope in hell.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Darn after this thread I hope I don't have to get a dog ..

Merry Christmas every one
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you look at the studies of long term weight loss, most of those who successfully kept the weight off did exercise on a regular basis. It helps.

As a daily walker and runner I can eat pretty much what I want most of the time and keep my weight stable. I have problems only when I do a lot of travel and can't get my daily exercise. Losing the weight I gained while on a three month road trip this summer, I know I wouldn't have been able to lose weight without the exercise. Being able to eat 1700 or more keeps me on the diet whereas if I could only eat 1200 a day I wouldn't last a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    red99ryder wrote: »
    Darn after this thread I hope I don't have to get a dog ..

Merry Christmas every one

I was thinking the same thing! Such great puppies, I want one. (But I can't.)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I don't have a dog--but I have a husband, and walk alot with him. Does that count?

Do you have a leash on him? :lol:

Maybe I should. ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I don't like lifting weights. I would rather run a 10k in an hour than to lift for an hour. But I know lifting conserves muscle and I've noticed a huge difference in my ballet technique since I started lifting.

Ya, I got back into lifting to help me with yoga and swimming.

But now that I am doing low reps and high weight I'm enjoying it much more and liking it for its own sake. (Thanks MFP forums and my coworkers.)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    If you look at the studies of long term weight loss, most of those who successfully kept the weight off did exercise on a regular basis. It helps.

As a daily walker and runner I can eat pretty much what I want most of the time and keep my weight stable. I have problems only when I do a lot of travel and can't get my daily exercise. Losing the weight I gained while on a three month road trip this summer, I know I wouldn't have been able to lose weight without the exercise. Being able to eat 1700 or more keeps me on the diet whereas if I could only eat 1200 a day I wouldn't last a week.

Whereas I had no problems losing the extra weight with no exercise factored in. Everyone needs to find what works for them, and that's going to be different than what works for someone else.