Healthy breakfast options?

Options
Looking for something other than eggs, bread, pancakes, oats.. i want to eat clean and make a healthy staple option or options. ♡ Help please! Something filling. Feel free to add me also. :)

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    breakfast skillets using ground beef/turkey and a variety of vegetables and herbs. I agree with not having to eat breakfast food; I rarely ever do.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eggs, bread, pancakes, and oats removes almost all of my regular breakfast ideas, but you could try:

Greek yogurt
    Cantaloupe and cottage cheese
    Breakfast burritos (premake them and freeze to microwave in the morning)

It might be easier to start with foods you do want to eat for breakfast and build a meal around that. Whether it's steak & avocado or roasted tomatoes & nuts or cheese & veggies, play around and find something you like.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have toast with peanut butter and jam pretty much every morning. Not sure if it fits your idea of clean, but the bread I typically use is nice and high in fibre and protein and keeps me full for hours. Sometimes I add two eggs to that as well. Eat what you like and build the rest of your day around it
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just choose a healthy food that you feel is clean enough and something you find filling. It doesn't have to be a typical "breakfast food".
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    WendyHeldt wrote: »
    Looking for something other than eggs, bread, pancakes, oats.. i want to eat clean and make a healthy staple option or options. ♡ Help please! Something filling. Feel free to add me also. :)

Eggs are not "clean"? Oats aren't "clean"? What the heck is your idea of "clean"...those are two perfectly good whole foods...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Looking for something other than eggs, bread, pancakes, oats..

What's wrong with these? Do you not like them, or do you think they are not "clean" (in which case I'd have to know your definition of "clean" and wonder where it comes from).

In the winter I usually like savory oats (oats with an egg and vegetables), oats with protein powder and berries and some veg on the side, or a vegetable omelet, but since these aren't what you want my other ideas are:

(1) In the summer and fall I like smoothies. I make these mainly with vegetables plus a protein source, and then add some frozen berries or, in the summer, some in-season fruit. These don't seem "cleaner" than the stuff that is off limits, so don't know if this would work for you or not. If you aren't hungry in the morning and just want to drink something, maybe they would do.

(2) If the deal is that you aren't big on traditional breakfast food, maybe have leftovers from dinner? I went through a phase where I did that or make a salad with a hardboiled egg (oops, egg again) or chicken on it.

(3) For a super fast meal I sometimes just do smoked salmon (the chunky kind, not the thin-cut lox) with raw vegetables and maybe cottage cheese or a piece of fruit or some nuts, depending on what I'm in the mood for. If I have leftover chicken or turkey I might use that instead of the salmon.
  • WendyHeldt
    WendyHeldt Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Looking for something other than eggs, bread, pancakes, oats..

What's wrong with these? Do you not like them, or do you think they are not "clean" (in which case I'd have to know your definition of "clean" and wonder where it comes from).

In the winter I usually like savory oats (oats with an egg and vegetables), oats with protein powder and berries and some veg on the side, or a vegetable omelet, but since these aren't what you want my other ideas are:

(1) In the summer and fall I like smoothies. I make these mainly with vegetables plus a protein source, and then add some frozen berries or, in the summer, some in-season fruit. These don't seem "cleaner" than the stuff that is off limits, so don't know if this would work for you or not. If you aren't hungry in the morning and just want to drink something, maybe they would do.

(2) If the deal is that you aren't big on traditional breakfast food, maybe have leftovers from dinner? I went through a phase where I did that or make a salad with a hardboiled egg (oops, egg again) or chicken on it.

(3) For a super fast meal I sometimes just do smoked salmon (the chunky kind, not the thin-cut lox) with raw vegetables and maybe cottage cheese or a piece of fruit or some nuts, depending on what I'm in the mood for. If I have leftover chicken or turkey I might use that instead of the
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Eggs are not "clean"? Oats aren't "clean"? What the heck is your idea of "clean"...those are two perfectly good whole foods...

I didnt day those foods were not clean lol. Said im looking for stuff other THAN that ;) .. also I believe certain food reacts different for people which is why I want options.
  • WendyHeldt
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice, Im still learning as we all continue to :)
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My standbys: berries or an orange with ricotta, apple with nut butter, homemade oatmeal. On the weekend I usually make eggs with peameal bacon or an omelette or a frittata.
  • cwolfman13
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I often have a stew of some kind for breakfast in the winter...yesterday I had a nice bowl of beef stew. Sometimes in the summer I like to grill some trout...
  • WendyHeldt
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    I'm gonna give a suggestion of fruit and possibly greek yogurt etc....but you have about 5 mins before a load of people bust in here and ask why you want to quit those things so probably best to have an answer lol ;)

Ahaha thank you lol. Just heard long term its not healthy, like having bread always .. especially if your looking to display abs .. bread turns to sugar I heard.
  • cwolfman13
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm gonna give a suggestion of fruit and possibly greek yogurt etc....but you have about 5 mins before a load of people bust in here and ask why you want to quit those things so probably best to have an answer lol ;)

Ahaha thank you lol. Just heard long term its not healthy, like having bread always .. especially if your looking to display abs .. bread turns to sugar I heard.

What's not healthy long term? I eat bread regularly...thinking that it just turns into sugar is a major oversimplification of the process...there's nothing inherently unhealthy about bread...I love a good sourdough which is also good for gut flora.
  • WendyHeldt
    Options

What's not healthy long term?

I heard from so many different sources that bread is not good long term. Even if its whole meal, multi grain etc
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I heard from so many different sources that bread is not good long term. Even if its whole meal, multi grain etc

Bread has been a staple of civilization for thousands of years...it tends to be calorie dense which isn't the same thing as unhealthy...IMO, there are things that offer more nutritional value for the calories, but that doesn't make bread inherently an unhealthy food.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

It does go stale or moldy if you keep it around too long.

(Seriously, I don't eat much bread so am not going to say you should if you don't want to, but it's just a starch, like potatoes or oats or rice. As for the digestion process, your body basically -- oversimplification -- runs on glucose, so your body converts sugars (as in fruit) and starches into simpler sugars to run on them. If there's a excess -- which there won't be if you are at a deficit -- it can store some as fat, but that's a harder process than storing fat as fat (which also won't result in a net gain of fat unless you eat a calorie surplus and you will lose fat in a calorie deficit). Bread isn't special in this regard. Abs are about eating at a deficit and having muscle to show.)
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love my Vitamix and have my breakfast from there. 15 almonds; 3 dates; 1 frozen banana; handful of frozen strawberries & blueberries and a tablespoon of chia seeds. I add in 3/4 cup of water and the vitamix does the rest. Have been drinking/eating this for a few years.
  • DerrickCooper78
    DerrickCooper78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Take all info with a grain of salt. See how the foods make you feel. You can have bread, just eat in moderation and make sure it fits in your macros. Some options for breakfast: cottage cheese, yogurt, protein shake, whole grain waffle or pancake. If it fits within your daily intake of calories and it's a healthier option, you will be ok.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    a lentil stew is also very nice for breakfast...
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Most of the science, the real legit science, disagrees with that. I have made efforts to eat less bread, but I still have it. Moderation is always good. Every so often for that breakfast of eggs you mentioned, I'll do up an egg sandwich.

Unless you have an allergy like celiac, and even then, there are options.