Healthy breakfast options?

Options
2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I often eat "nothing" at breakfast time and save my calories for bigger meals later.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jakep2323 wrote: »
    Lets just say the op wants to change her diet. No need to start this 'she's demonising food' stuff.

IMO, the issue is not "demonizing" bread or have any issue with her changing her diet, but you need to know why she's avoiding foods (including eggs and oats) that many would consider "clean" (her word) or perfectly healthy. I suspected it might just be taste, and it seems in part it was that or a desire for variety.

However, when she gave her reason for avoiding bread she said something that wasn't so much "demonization," but specificially factually untrue, so it was worth correcting that so she can make a reasoned decision based on the facts whether she wants to avoid bread or not. Changing one's diet is great; changing one's diet based on false information is not so great, especially if it serves to spread that false information to others (as on this thread).

I certainly don't care if OP still wants to not eat bread in the morning (or ever). I never eat bread in the morning myself (and rarely at other times), because for me it's completely not filling and I don't like it that much unless it's homemade or otherwise really good bread (that I don't keep at home and can't just pick up from the grocery store). I just think correcting bad information is important. Surely you aren't saying that we should just nod and smile when someone provides inaccurate information that seems to be widely believed, and that others would perhaps believe is true if not corrected? One can have the right information about bread (it doesn't magically turn to fat in a deficit and isn't treated differently than other similar foods) and still choose to eat it or not. Having good information is important.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Start your day of eating with the best stab at getting your macros mostly right. For me, that means I have to emphasize protein for breakfast. Eggs, poultry, protein powder, and dairy are all included in my breakfast to meet this goal.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Lets just say the op wants to change her diet. No need to start this 'she's demonising food' stuff. Not much wrong with bread, but majority (not all) is higher calories so I tend to avoid when I can..simply cos I want to avoid high calorie foods. When you are on a calorie budget there is nothing wrong with doing that

That's kind of how I feel about a lot of foods these days. I would rather have a fresh roll from a really good bakery with my egg and peameal bacon than some ordinary packaged bread. If I'm going to spend the calories, I want it to be on stuff that's worth while.

I've also found that simply reducing portions is the way to go. There was a point in time where I would routinely have 3 eggs. I am just fine with 1 nowadays.
  • jpower132002
    jpower132002 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try Kodiak cakes
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big smoothie around 300- 400 calories heres my most recent

1 banana
    1 cup strawberries (or blue berries)
    1/4 - 1/2 cup cup raspberries (or black berries)
    1 handful of spinach
    1 cup pineapple juice or half cup + half cup kombucha tea (probiotic)
    1 tbs ground flax
    1/4 teaspoon matcha
    sprinkle of ginger (makes it alittle spicy)
    1 scoop sunwarrior protein powder
    1 stevia packet
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    WendyHeldt wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm gonna give a suggestion of fruit and possibly greek yogurt etc....but you have about 5 mins before a load of people bust in here and ask why you want to quit those things so probably best to have an answer lol ;)

Ahaha thank you lol. Just heard long term its not healthy, like having bread always .. especially if your looking to display abs .. bread turns to sugar I heard.

What's not healthy long term?

I heard from so many different sources that bread is not good long term. Even if its whole meal, multi grain etc

You heard wrong. Nothing wrong with bread :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Try Kodiak cakes

They're awesome...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I had a nice NM green chile and pork stew this morning...perfect on a cold morning like this and the chile really opens up the sinuses and gives you a good sweat...
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna give a suggestion of fruit and possibly greek yogurt etc....but you have about 5 mins before a load of people bust in here and ask why you want to quit those things so probably best to have an answer lol ;)

Ahaha thank you lol. Just heard long term its not healthy, like having bread always .. especially if your looking to display abs .. bread turns to sugar I heard.

All carbohydrates "turn to sugar" because that's what carbohydrates are chiefly composed of - either short (simple) or long (complex) chains of sugars. When the body digests/metabolizes carbohydrates, they're broken down into the sugars they're composed of. It doesn't matter if those carbs came from bread, or from organic kale grown atop a mountain by Buddhist monks and watered with unicorn tears - the end result is that they're broken down the same way by the body, they all "turn to sugar".

If you're looking to "display abs", you need to reduce body fat. That's achieved by a calorie deficit, regardless of the macro composition of your diet.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I make little breakfast sandwiches! Toasted English muffin and a slice of cheese. The either make an egg and veggie mixture in the oven to cut in patties or just fry up an egg. You can make ahead and freeze! Fast, easy, good macros, and filling.m
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

What's not healthy long term?

I heard from so many different sources that bread is not good long term. Even if its whole meal, multi grain etc

You heard wrong. Nothing wrong with bread :)

For real. I ate bread and wheat every day at my smallest! And the whole time I lost the weight!

• liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    Egg whites scrabled with a couple of eggs with a slice of cheese. Sometimes if I have left over taco's or chicken then I'll toss that in too!! Sometimes hard boiled eggs are good too.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts vary so much, depending on my mood and how crunched I am for time. Today, I was off, slept in, and wasn't hungry until almost noon, so made myself more of a brunch with some sautéed peppers, onions, and black beans. Spread some avacado on a whole grain wrap, and wrapped it all up, with some salsa on the side. If I'd had some spinach I would have thrown that in, too. It was really good and filly.

I often have some soy yogurt and granola, sometimes with some fruit, as well. It's quick and easy and filling without sitting like a lump. The other morning I just ate a pear because I was up early, not super hungry, and crunched for time. Sometimes I have a cookie or two
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms for breakfast.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I eat a lot of Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms for breakfast.

Yooom...that's a pretty nice combo. Also you just reminded me I need to go cereal shopping. ;)
  • JBella0125
    JBella0125 Posts: 18 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My "go-to" breakfast items:

1) potatoes o'brien (I buy frozen) quick and easy & only like 60 calories per serving (0.8 cups)
    2) egg whites (I buy from the carton) quick, easy, and filling.
    3) Protein Bar (when I don't have time to cook or prep)
    4) Ezekiel bread (cinnamon raisin is my favorite) either with a small amount of margarine or a Tbsp. of peanut butter
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos (premake them and freeze to microwave in the morning)

Wow I love your breakfast burrito idea! I hadn't thought to do that :smile:
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I often have a stew of some kind for breakfast in the winter...yesterday I had a nice bowl of beef stew. Sometimes in the summer I like to grill some trout...

@cwolfman13 I also love soup, stews and broths for breakfast! It's very filling as well as healthy (depending on how or what you make it with obviously) and I love the warmth, it's like healthy comfort food!
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfasts are:

Soups/bone broth
    Smoothie made with fruits veggies and NUTS
    Egg scramble (with veggies and lean mean, cooked in olive oil, No cheese)
    Any leftovers from the nigh before :)

As long as I get protein in there somewhere I am happy. Personally I don't like to eat breads or dairy very much, they are fine (and healthy) but I always feel sleepy after I do!