Crazy scales acting crazy?

Options
Tuesday: scale reads normal, same thing it has read for 3 days, as the number has gradually, slowly gone down over the weeks.. Later that same day find myself in the other bathroom where there is another scale that syncs well with mine. That scale reads the same.
Wednesday: skipped weighing
Thursday: skipped weighing
Friday: scale reads exactly 4lb gain. Cannot believe it so go to other bathrooms scale, That scale reads 5lbs heavier than my scale for a total 9lb gain. In 3 days.

It's now Monday and my scale is still reading the 4lb-in-3-day gain :( My mother also tried the scales, and they did the same for her, saying she had an exactly 4lb gain on mine, and a 9lb gain on the other.

Batteries are relatively new. I am relatively bummed :/ Anyone have similar scale stories?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Weigh something that you know the weight off (e.g., a 15 pound dumbbell.) If it the dumbbell comes in at 19 pounds on the first scale and 24 on the other, just know to subtract 4 or 9 pounds from whatever weight it gives you. Or look online to see if there is a way to calibrate your scale.
  • active562
    active562 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit Aria and it does some crazy stuff as well ! Sometime I lose 3 lbs after a weekend of binging and gain 5 lbs after 5 days in a deficit!
    Im thinking of ditching the scale completely
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I have two digital bathroom scales that are supposed to zero out. They read about 3 pounds differently. I hate getting on the one that reports a higher weight and hope that isn't the correct scale.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I assume you've got them on a firm, level surface and that there are no rugs or anything touching the edges?
    Also, do you get on and off 2 -3 times to ensure they're consistent?
    If all that's OK, it does seem odd.
    Checking the weight shown with a known reference is a good idea as above, but it's not easy to get a relevant reference weight! (ideally at the weight range you're reading at)

Otherwise, no idea! I'm not sure I could cope with having two sets of scales though, as long as you have one set that work, I'd go by that set only. They don't need to be accurate either, as long as they're consistent they'll show the trend which is far more important than just a number.

EDIT: Another quick though, I don't suppose you and your mum attended the same party or function recently and consumed something unusual/high sodium? Unlikely I know, but as I say, just a thought.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Food in transit, water weight, different time of day, different scales, high sodium, cheat meal. The possibilities are endless.

If you have eaten at, or below maintenance for the week then you can't have gained fat.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    You might be able to look the owner's manuals up and see if there is a way to calibrate them. I think I will do that with mine!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with your scales! This is normal. Solution: Weigh yourself once a day on the same scale, at the same time, under the same conditions, preferably after using the bathroom and before you eat or drink anything.
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A lot of people describe the whoosh effect where you're weight will fluctuate for a while and then you'll see a rapid drop. I tend to have the same effect where I will even show a gain of a few pounds right before I drop 5-6 lbs rapidly and then level over a few days. You'll see a lot of recommendations to weigh yourself once a week because of the daily fluctuations. You're scale likely has a zero adjustment, check the owners manual. As others have suggested check it against a known weight. If you don't have weights water is about 8.3lbs/gal and filling a five gallon bucket is one way to check.
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I assume you've got them on a firm, level surface and that there are no rugs or anything touching the edges?
    Also, do you get on and off 2 -3 times to ensure they're consistent?
    If all that's OK, it does seem odd.
    Checking the weight shown with a known reference is a good idea as above, but it's not easy to get a relevant reference weight! (ideally at the weight range you're reading at)

Otherwise, no idea! I'm not sure I could cope with having two sets of scales though, as long as you have one set that work, I'd go by that set only. They don't need to be accurate either, as long as they're consistent they'll show the trend which is far more important than just a number.

EDIT: Another quick though, I don't suppose you and your mum attended the same party or function recently and consumed something unusual/high sodium? Unlikely I know, but as I say, just a thought.

I do check the weight about 4 times if it looks off.
    The scales are always on a flat surface without anything near them, and I weight at the same time in the same place.
    Getting a reference weight hasn't been working, it won't read my weights, they don't weigh enough :/

And no we didn't attend the same party LOL But that's an interesting thought
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Nothing is wrong with your scales! This is normal. Solution: Weigh yourself once a day on the same scale, at the same time, under the same conditions, preferably after using the bathroom and before you eat or drink anything.

Right here.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Since it's two different scales, this probably doesn't apply - but, time for new batteries?
  • Mary_Anastasia
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Well, it's been almost a week. Monday the 4lb gain turned into a 7lb gain (on my scale, I didn't check the other scale), and it stayed that way for every day. Today it has dropped back down to a 4lb gain. I can understand a 4lb gain of water weight or transit etc, but it's been almost a week, and the weight had gone up a whopping 7lbs.

Here's a better timeline, this is all on the same scale, at the same time, under same conditions:

Tuesday: 217.6
    Weds: no weigh
    Thursday: no weigh
    Friday: 221.8
    Saturday: 221.8
    Sunday: 221.6
    Monday: 224.8
    Tuesday:224.6
    Wednesday: no weigh
    Thursday: 221.8

Maybe 4lbs just decided to stick to me suddenly, and the peek-a-boo 3lbs after that was water? I know it's not a lot of weight to be concerned about, but I hadn't been in the 210's for many years and was firmly there :(
  • Mary_Anastasia
    edited December 2016
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

Right here.

That's exactly what I do. I missed weighing a couple days but it's always under the same scale, same time of day, under exact same conditions: after bathroom, before shower, before eating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing in on multiple scales throughout the day...stop with the scale obsession...

Body weight isn't static...weight loss isn't a linear function...every scale is going to be calibrated a little differently...when you weigh in multiple times per day, you're also weighing any food or beverage you've ingested...

Weigh yourself once per day at most, at roughly the same time of day, under roughly the same conditions and use one scale. Most people do this first thing in the morning after they've used the restroom and before ingesting foods and they weigh in naked.

What you're doing is madness...
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Stop weighing in on multiple scales throughout the day...stop with the scale obsession...

Body weight isn't static...weight loss isn't a linear function...every scale is going to be calibrated a little differently...when you weigh in multiple times per day, you're also weighing any food or beverage you've ingested...

Weigh yourself once per day at most, at roughly the same time of day, under roughly the same conditions and use one scale. Most people do this first thing in the morning after they've used the restroom and before ingesting foods and they weigh in naked.

What you're doing is madness...

I'm NOT using multiple scales, IDK why everyone seems to think so- when my scale read so differently than it usually does I checked it against a different scale, ONCE.

Every single time I weigh has been once per day. On the same scale. At the same time. After bathroom. Before showering. Before eating. Unclothed.

So tell me what madness that I'm doing exactly? Please reply.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    When I was weighing, I used only my Wii scale. Once a week, First thing on the morning after the bathroom, in my birthday suit
    Any other weighing e,g doctor surgery didn't count
    Don't drive yourself crazy
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Options
    Okay, maybe I should rephrase my original post:

Has anyone had a 3-7lb gain in just a few days, which sticks around, on the SAME SCALE they always use, weighing at the SAME TIME they always weigh, under the SAME CONDITIONS they always weigh themselves?

I was just bummed and looking for others' stories, geeze, people.

Is that better? :expressionless:
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    As a lady, your weight can sometimes shift over a week if hormones are going crazy. I believe that hormones come into play or water retention or something. I always gain three pounds the week of my period and then it drops off when it's over. I wouldn't be too concerned - weight is a weird thing.