Student brought me an iced mocha...

Options
Leebett
Leebett Posts: 238 Member
Any suggestions on how to accept this gift without adding it to my food log? I'm not ready to come out of the dieting closet and I don't want to offend. I really appreciate the gesture. I love my job, but food surprises are a part of my problem. If there is a cookie laying out, I'm eating it.

Replies

• ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You could accept it while the student is there, then "accidentally" spill it into the garbage when they're gone :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Keep it in fridge at work and offer to coworker? It was a sweet gesture from your student.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Have a few sips, tell them thank you, and then get so busy doing other things that it just sits there. Maybe say " Oh, I've already had my coffee today, but this is delicious!"
  • shayemimi
    shayemimi Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have this sometimes when my clients bring me coffee, lattes etc. Just accept it, then be too busy to drink it. OR if it's just too good to pass up, drink half. Then LOG it! It's not going to hinder you! Just chip away at some calories somewhere else in your day , or eat a few less tomorrow, or spend little more time exercising. Also you can work into conversations how your cutting back on sugar , etc. doesn't have to be about weight loss, just healthier lifestyle. You'd be surprised how people listen, and start bringing black coffee, skinny lattes, etc. :)

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • SToast
    SToast Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    extra 1/2 hour workout today and enjoy your mocha!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    FFS don't spill it into the garbage. I get so disturbed at those who suggested wasting food this way on here, even as a joke. Anyway, I'd just try to find out how many calories it is---it may not be SO bad---& then just drink it, & walk it off later. I mean, a mocha iced latte is what, at most 200 calories? A good walk burns that off.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I mean, to be fair, 1 iced mocha won't destroy your dieting efforts. If you're really feeling guilty try to go for an extra 30 minute jog or walk after work today.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.

*blink*

You know, OP, I think graciousness is a quality in short supply these days. It's a rare thing when anyone, young or not-so-much, takes the time to show appreciation and gratitude to their teachers, and when it happens, it should be met in kind. Accept the kindness with grace and class, and enjoy some of it. Or none of it. Whatever, deal with it on your own without explaining it to your student for heaven's sake. No one needs to have their generosity rejected, possibly to think twice before doing something nice in the future. There's already too little of it in the world.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Drink it and just work out a little more. Why deny yourself something delicious? You only have one go around on this marble, so why not live a little bit. :drinker:
  • Shes1CraftyMama
    Shes1CraftyMama Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    extra 1/2 hour workout today and enjoy your mocha!
    THIS! I used to get all sorts of treats from students. Cookies are easy since they are not there to watch you eat them all the time. But iced coffees and coffees are hard. Maybe at a break (recess or at passing period - depending on what grade you teach) you could toss it or if it is in an opaque cup, rinse the cup out and fill it with H2O. The student won't know you aren't drinking coffee. Or they won't know you didn't drink it at work. Thank the student again later in the day! Tell them it was a real treat for you since you have not had one in a while!
    And it is a good sign that your student cares so much to get you a drink...shows you are a good teacher! =)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just drink the iced latte....one iced coffee will not affect months of hard work. Drink it, enjoy it, realize it isn't an every day thing and relax.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you say nothing and pretend you are pleased -- then throw it away -- chances are good youw ill get another one next week. How many times do you want to fake it and let your student continue to pay the bill? I say, you either accept it and potentially drink some or all of it but say to your student, "This is so kind of you, but .... **insert appropriate refusal for future drinks here** or you just refuse it all together. Either way, if you don't want this student to bring you coffee in the future, you need to tell him/her. It was really sweet, though.

I, personally, would have to decline and say, "Thank you, but I can't have any sugar. You couldn't have known that, and this is so sweet! Maybe Mrs. XXX would like it. Let's go ask." Pawn it off on someone else! LOL
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Accept it and be gracious. Explain that you're watching your waistline (or cutting back on caffeine or whatever), so you can't accept a gift like this every day, but you're grateful for the kind thought. Have a little, log the calories, go for an extra walk and be grateful that you have someone in your life who wants to do nice things for you.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options

*blink*

You know, OP, I think graciousness is a quality in short supply these days. It's a rare thing when anyone, young or not-so-much, takes the time to show appreciation and gratitude to their teachers, and when it happens, it should be met in kind. Accept the kindness with grace and class, and enjoy some of it. Or none of it. Whatever, deal with it on your own without explaining it to your student for heaven's sake. No one needs to have their generosity rejected, possibly to think twice before doing something nice in the future. There's already too little of it in the world.

This. I hope my kids grow up to do something as thoughtful.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    FFS don't spill it into the garbage. I get so disturbed at those who suggested wasting food this way on here, even as a joke. Anyway, I'd just try to find out how many calories it is---it may not be SO bad---& then just drink it, & walk it off later. I mean, a mocha iced latte is what, at most 200 calories? A good walk burns that off.
    ^^^this!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Thank you for the well meant gesture but I need to listen to people who don't restrict foods and beverages I love with limited scientific evidence to support them.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YUM!
    what a super indulgence,
    I would add vodka or whiskey to it
    and chug it.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Accept it with grace, drink part of it, and dump the rest...win/win cause they're delicious!

tumblr_mq0znqeBLY1qd2wbdo1_500.jpg
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to accept this gift without adding it to my food log? I'm not ready to come out of the dieting closet and I don't want to offend. I really appreciate the gesture. I love my job, but food surprises are a part of my problem. If there is a cookie laying out, I'm eating it.

You will eat a cookie laying out but not accept a latte given to you by a student? I'd take the latte and skip the cookie that day.