Student brought me an iced mocha...

Options

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly possible to be gracious and figure out a way to meet one's weight loss goals. Sorry this is so difficult for some of you.

It's perfectly possible to meet your weight loss goals and drink an occassional iced mocha. Sorry this is so difficult for some of you.

Exactly.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I've had coworkers bring me coffee, and yes it's a wonderful gesture, but I don't drink coffee. It's revolting and even the smell makes me gag. Saying "that was so nice, but I don't drink coffee" should be no different than "that was so nice, but I don't eat sugar/drink calories (or whatever.)" And then say "It was so nice of you to think of me, so let's see if we can find someone else who would enjoy this wonderful gift." Although I imagine it's probably too late now since it's been posted and commented on, but if something like that happens again...

I hope your husband does that with the next gift you give him.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    What a fantastic kid!

A good thank you, some sips (an ounce of iced latte an 7-11 is like 20 calories, so a few sips shouldn't do you in) and you should be clear. Do you have a fridge? You can tell him/her you finished it off with lunch. Anything you can do to encourage a kid to think about others outside themselves is a positive thing, IMO.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Awww that is so sweet. Personally I'd drink it, and burn it off.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly possible to be gracious and figure out a way to meet one's weight loss goals. Sorry this is so difficult for some of you.

It's perfectly possible to meet your weight loss goals and drink an occassional iced mocha. Sorry this is so difficult for some of you.

JFC, right? This thread is so many kinds of ridiculousness.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I don't know the age of your students, but I will say this....

I teach Kindergarten currently.
    I have taught 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th as well in the past.

In *MY EXPERIENCE* the "little" kids in K-2 don't really understand what it means to be on a "diet." So explaining to young students isn't going to stop future goodies. Now, when I taught 4th and 5th graders, they were supportive. They would bring in healthy treats or nothing at all. Young kids don't really grasp HOW a person loses weight or even what constitutes a healthy vs an unhealthy snack. They just want to make their teacher happy and hey, cupcakes make THEM happy so they figure it should make their teacher happy, too. If you know anything about psychology, then you will understand this line of thinking as young children are very egotistical... (I once bought my mom nail polish when I was about 8 years old as a Mother's Day gift. My mom had NEVER painted her nails a day in her adult life. My dad asked why I wanted to get her polish and I said it was because I liked it and thought it was pretty. It was all about me. If I like it, surely she will, right? Just one example).

I agree with those who say that KINDNESS is a rarity these days. Accept it with graciousness and thankfulness and then decide what you'll do with it... As I posted earlier, my students *KNOW* I appreciate their goodies, even though they don't SEE me enjoying them.

If we're talking about very little kids (I suspect these are older because they're getting tutored), then maybe it is better to just smile, put it in the fridge and dump it later (if you know you will dump it and not drink it.)

But I hate unnecessary waste and if someone is trying to lose weight and constantly is being offered food that will undermine her goals there is nothing wrong in saying thanks but no thanks. The OP said she's never seen a cookie she didn't like. Anyone who has difficulty resisting temptations knows it's better not to be tempted to begin with.

I know an overweight woman who used to like bringing snacks to a class I attended. I always thanked her, and usually turned her down because I told her I could not maintain my weight if I ate every good thing offered to me. After a while, I began to be irritated because she would never stop. I couldn't but wonder what was going on.

This situation is different because these are kids, but if you're trying to lose weight (or in my case maintain it, as I've never been overweight), you have to protect yourself from your own impulses. It is, in the end, a matter of your health.
  • ken_hogan
    Options
    Did anyone else notice the OP say she will eat a cookie if she sees one laying out but is worried about a single mocha that a student gives her? I think the more important issue isn't how to decline a mocha but maybe rethink how she eats during day or try to change some habits?
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

JFC, right? This thread is so many kinds of ridiculousness.

I'm sorry that so many people seem unable to read. The OP clearly sees this as a recurring problem.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Did anyone else notice the OP say she will eat a cookie if she sees one laying out but is worried about a single mocha that a student gives her? I think the more important issue isn't how to decline a mocha but maybe rethink how she eats during day or try to change some habits?

bingo.

It's effectively a case of "Dear MFP, I have no self control... but I want you to tell me what to do with a mocha."
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I don't know the age of your students, but I will say this....

I teach Kindergarten currently.
    I have taught 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th as well in the past.

In *MY EXPERIENCE* the "little" kids in K-2 don't really understand what it means to be on a "diet." So explaining to young students isn't going to stop future goodies. Now, when I taught 4th and 5th graders, they were supportive. They would bring in healthy treats or nothing at all. Young kids don't really grasp HOW a person loses weight or even what constitutes a healthy vs an unhealthy snack. They just want to make their teacher happy and hey, cupcakes make THEM happy so they figure it should make their teacher happy, too. If you know anything about psychology, then you will understand this line of thinking as young children are very egotistical... (I once bought my mom nail polish when I was about 8 years old as a Mother's Day gift. My mom had NEVER painted her nails a day in her adult life. My dad asked why I wanted to get her polish and I said it was because I liked it and thought it was pretty. It was all about me. If I like it, surely she will, right? Just one example).

I agree with those who say that KINDNESS is a rarity these days. Accept it with graciousness and thankfulness and then decide what you'll do with it... As I posted earlier, my students *KNOW* I appreciate their goodies, even though they don't SEE me enjoying them.

If we're talking about very little kids (I suspect these are older because they're getting tutored), then maybe it is better to just smile, put it in the fridge and dump it later (if you know you will dump it and not drink it.)

But I hate unnecessary waste and if someone is trying to lose weight and constantly is being offered food that will undermine her goals there is nothing wrong in saying thanks but no thanks. The OP said she's never seen a cookie she didn't like. Anyone who has difficulty resisting temptations knows it's better not to be tempted to begin with.

I know an overweight woman who used to like bringing snacks to a class I attended. I always thanked her, and usually turned her down because I told her I could not maintain my weight if I ate every good thing offered to me. After a while, I began to be irritated because she would never stop. I couldn't but wonder what was going on.

This situation is different because these are kids, but if you're trying to lose weight (or in my case maintain it, as I've never been overweight), you have to protect yourself from your own impulses. It is, in the end, a matter of your health.

Cool story bro. And cool username. I may be a little rusty on my french but does it mean "Anything is possible if you trample on everyone's feelings?" or just "Anything is possible"?
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    If I had taken the time to bring in a special treat for my teacher and she refused OR I saw her 'accidentally' spill it in the garbage, I would feel hurt/insulted, especially if I was a younger kid. Just say thank you for goodness sake, take a few sips and do with it as you wish in your own privacy. You don't need to give an explanation, just be polite. It's rare to have students now-a-days who are appreciative like that. I've had clients bring me in chocolate bunnies on Easter and while I don't eat them and usually give them to someone else (because I don't like the taste), I am so thankful to them that they would want to bring me anything at all!
  • toutmonpossible
    Options

Of course I noticed. She understands that she has a problem with sweets and she's concerned about this additional problem. It is harder to avoid eating things that have been offered to us because we don't want to seem ungrateful. A mocha can be well over 200 calories. It adds up, in addition to whatever else is in her house.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    just tell them you can't have caffeine after so and so time, because it keeps you awake at night.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.

*blink*

You know, OP, I think graciousness is a quality in short supply these days. It's a rare thing when anyone, young or not-so-much, takes the time to show appreciation and gratitude to their teachers, and when it happens, it should be met in kind. Accept the kindness with grace and class, and enjoy some of it. Or none of it. Whatever, deal with it on your own without explaining it to your student for heaven's sake. No one needs to have their generosity rejected, possibly to think twice before doing something nice in the future. There's already too little of it in the world.

You are a very wise person.

QFT.

Alternatively, MyChocolateDiet also posted the correct response just above this.

Difficult for who? It was your own suggestion which failed to do both of these things. That makes no sense.

Edit for grammar
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    FFS don't spill it into the garbage. I get so disturbed at those who suggested wasting food this way on here, even as a joke.

Be gracious, accept the gift as it is offered and only drink it if you can fit it into your plan.

Maybe "wasting" food is your primary concern - but for me, it's WAY more important to stay on plan and lose my weight. I don't clean my plate. And I don't eat extra food because it is "free".

Even free things have costs and putting extra, unnecessary food into a person trying to lose weight is "waste" too.

Unless the OP really wants the coffee - then drink it and exercise it off.
  • ken_hogan
    Options

Of course I noticed. She understands that she has a problem with sweets and she's concerned about this additional problem. It is harder to avoid eating things that have been offered to us because we don't want to seem ungrateful. A mocha can be well over 200 calories. It adds up, in addition to whatever else is in her house.

Exactly my point then of changing habits. I'm sure coming across other temptations, like a cookie laying out, would occur way more often than a mocha being offered. I got the impression the mocha was a one time thing, but until the OP responds how often it occurs, it may have been a single time as far as we know.
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Just as a kinda side note...My kids are 9 and 11 years old...and they've had the most amazing teachers throughout their school years so far. I just wanted to say this as a response to some of the post that insinuate that there aren't any good ones left...in general teachers totally rock!!! sure there are couple I wanted to strangle...the ones who have "favorites" that are always girls...but hey, for the most part, teachers are awesome!
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that so many people seem unable to read. The OP clearly sees this as a recurring problem.

From the OP:
    I love my job, but food surprises are a part of my problem.

A recurring problem from whom? From students? From coworkers? "A cookie lying around" doesn't sound like a gift. I took this to mean there are surprises in a variety of ways, including break room/coworker surprises.

But let's assume it's all students. For most of the types of food surprises students would bring in, sharing would fix the problem. The mocha seems like a first-time thing, and if it's not, then a suggestion another teacher made above about "The best you can give me is..." is the best way to go.

Do you remember being a child and how important it was for you to try to give something to someone you cared about because you had no money or no way to really get gifts, so it was a BIG DEAL when you did? If less easily shared items like mochas keep turning up, then fine, but frankly, it would have to be more than once a week for me to think it was worth saying something over.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    tigerpalm.jpg

I'm thankful that most people i this thread are perfectly sensible, but there are a few posts here that really needed ^ this.

To the OP, it's simple. Accept the gift, enjoy it, move on.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to accept this gift without adding it to my food log? I'm not ready to come out of the dieting closet and I don't want to offend. I really appreciate the gesture. I love my job, but food surprises are a part of my problem. If there is a cookie laying out, I'm eating it.

Johnny/Joanie: How thoughtful of you! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I'm watching my sugar intake, and this is not the right kind of food for me right now, even though it's delicious. Should we put it in the fridge and save it for your Mom or your Dad?

If you are a vegetarian and a little child offered you a hot dog would you eat it?
    If your religion prohibits you from eating certain foods, would you eat them?
    If you have a food allergy, and someone offers you something with an allergen would you consume it?

No, you would politely decline and explain.

The consumption of too much sugar is inconsistent with the OP's intentions for herself and she's identified a problem. Fixing it is easy, and this really is something that comes up quite a bit.