Student brought me an iced mocha...

Options

Replies

• auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    FFS don't spill it into the garbage. I get so disturbed at those who suggested wasting food this way on here, even as a joke. Anyway, I'd just try to find out how many calories it is---it may not be SO bad---& then just drink it, & walk it off later. I mean, a mocha iced latte is what, at most 200 calories? A good walk burns that off.

Well I know the ice Capps that are a favourite from Tim hortons (Canada) are like 400, that being said I would still probably just drink it and cut out calories else where lol... Yum
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.

I agree. The most important thing we can teach our children is not the joy of giving a gift and seeing it received graciously, but to show them that the thought is not the important part, but the right gift that is essential.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Keep it in fridge at work and offer to coworker? It was a sweet gesture from your student.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    extra 1/2 hour workout today and enjoy your mocha!

so this. enjoy it, then work your butt off. Or, have a little and if you're still not really feeling it, then don't have it. I know I usually get a small latte / mocha / whatever and I usually only drink about half anyways.
  • EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    ...it's just an iced mocha. Drink it and be grateful for the gift. Decline in the future if they start shoving candy regularly down your throat. Why would you waste a gift or throw it away?
  • SeamsSewWright
    Options
    So many times, we sacrifice ourselves to make others happy or to not offend anyone.

If you feel that this could be a frequent occurance, invest in a non-see through drink container and pour it into it. Then, only you can make the call on how much you want to consume without "showing appreciation".

Or you can say, I've already had my morning coffe, but if you don't mind, I'd like to save it for my afternoon treat- and put it in the fridge.
  • jobean12
    jobean12 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    that"s what i do!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Drink some, discreetly pour the rest out later. I wouldn't explain about cutting calories unless it became a daily thing :)
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i agree with the others who said that kindness is rare these days, so you dont want to do anything to make them feel embarrassed or like it wasnt worth the effort. I doubt a kid will bring you coffee every day or week, so I don't think you need to explain anything or tell them you dont want treats in the future. Just enjoy part or all of it. Treats don't make or break your diet unless you indulge too often without working it back off. If another teacher brings in cookies or bars or whatever, I doubt they will be offended or even notice if you dont have any, or only have half. But a kid might.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    May I have it?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Many people, overweight and thin, are watching their sugar intake these days. I don't think there's any shame in thanking the student and declining. I mean, you do want people to stop offering you food you can't eat, right?

Just looked at your profile and see that the student was a probably a kid. it was a nice gesture, but one is never too young to understand that people have different needs. A thank you and an explanation should be enough.

I agree. The most important thing we can teach our children is not the joy of giving a gift and seeing it received graciously, but to show them that the thought is not the important part, but the right gift that is essential.

Exactly. I have a young child and if she ever dares to give a gift to a teacher, I hope they set her straight that it's not acceptable without knowing exactly what the person's preferences and dietary needs are. I mean, how dare she get the idea that it's ok to try to give something to someone else. Kids like that need to be taught quickly what's appropriate and what's not.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Don't decline! I'd be so sad if I brought something for my teacher and he or she declined it. I always accept food gifts, and if I don't want them just leave them on my desk until 5 o'clock.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    one sip at a time works. log it, enjoy it, move on.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

*blink*

You know, OP, I think graciousness is a quality in short supply these days. It's a rare thing when anyone, young or not-so-much, takes the time to show appreciation and gratitude to their teachers, and when it happens, it should be met in kind. Accept the kindness with grace and class, and enjoy some of it. Or none of it. Whatever, deal with it on your own without explaining it to your student for heaven's sake. No one needs to have their generosity rejected, possibly to think twice before doing something nice in the future. There's already too little of it in the world.

You are a very wise person.
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    First thing to do is to work on an understanding that (and I stop to say if you have an eating disorder or bingeing issues, this does not apply) one overage isn't going to wreck your whole lifestyle change. Odds are, even with the mocha (provided the rest of your day isn't insane), you'll still be at a deficit... just not as much of one. Too many people stress way too much about going over in their calories, but the fact is, we're learning better choices and a better lifestyle-- it's a process, and not a totalitarian one.

Second thing to do is enjoy the mocha. Don't drink all of it if you don't want it. But DON'T say anything to your student. Telling your friends and adult coworkers that you're watching your waistline is fine, but don't blow a nice gesture.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    one sip at a time works. log it, enjoy it, move on.

totally.gif
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Just chug it and work that much harder at the gym that day.
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Come out the closet..especially to the kids..they will,support you and even bring healthy snacks for you!!
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME ISSUE. Kids love to bring us goodies, don't they?

When I get goodies, I tell my students thank you and how much I love whatever it is (even if I really don't) and remind them that the *BEST* gift they can ever give me or any other teacher they have is a smile, a hug, and their best behavior. This also helps those who can't afford to bring gifts to feel better. Then I give them a hug and tell them I am far too full from my last meal but I will save it for later.

If they ask why I'm not taking it with me to lunch, I just say that I want to take it home and share it with my husband and/or kids because it is their FAVORITE (even if it's not really).

After dismissal, I trash it, making sure to cover it with other trash just in case someone forgot their backpack, a sweater, etc. And just in case the custodian misses that can and it's still there the next day (this doesn't happen at my new site but happened all the time at my other one as we had a terrible, lazy custodian).

The next day I tell them how delicious it was (even though I didn't really taste it). They smile and all is RIGHT in the world. :flowerforyou: Good luck!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    You need to be honest. Either drink it and say you really appreciate the jesture but next time no food, or say you can't now. Keeping your diet a secret is not going to help you. It's best to get it out in the open. People will usually try and support you if they know you are dieting. They can help you keep on track and stay accountable.