Clean vs Processed - Bragging

Options
bcattoes
bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
All the clean eating debates lately have made me very curious about something. Why is that some feel the desire to brag about how much preprared or processed or junk (or whatever term you like) food they eat, while others brag about eating clean?

Often, if you check the open diaries, both contain both good amounts of both clean and processed/preprepared foods. So, what is it that makes 2 different people who eat similar diets brag about and deny/not mention the different parts of their diet?

Replies

• pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The clean eaters probably feel like they are eating really well and want to feel proud about it.

The 'dirty' eaters are probably proud they can eat processed food and still hit their goals.

I'm neither of these people so this is only speculation. I'm sure it will all kick off with the members of each gang in due time
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it will all kick off with the members of each gang in due time

west-side-story-o.gif

Give me back my ball!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Not sure I'd call it bragging, but I do IIFYM, and I've been told by so many people that I can't be healthy unless I eat exclusively unprocessed, natural foods, so it just feels good that I'm healthy eating food that tastes good, and not depriving myself.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting for somebody to give me the definition of what a "clean food" is!
  • myofibril
    Options
    In all seriousness I don't think there's actually that much showing off from either side.

If there is I think it is partly due to unconscious associations which they feel positive about and on some level help elevate social or peer status.

So, clean eaters: virtuous, ethical, disciplined
    Dirty eaters: flexible, open minded, non conformist

Etc, etc.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I am still waiting for somebody to give me the definition of what a "clean food" is!

It mean food close to the way it is found in nature with little to no processing by man. No man-made addatives. As little processing as possible. For example, butchering meat is processing, but it doesn't make meat not clean because it doesn't change the meat from it's natural form. It just removes other parts of the animal from the meat. Curing meat does change it and so it's not clean. The more processed, the less clean a food is. Brown rice is more clean than brown rice flour becuase the flour is more processed. An apple off a wild apple tree is more clean than a farmed apple that's been sprayed with pesticides. But that doesn't mean eating an apple from the produce dept at your store is not clean. There are gray areas and degrees of clean, but the more natural, the more clean. Man-made foods are not ever clean.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    In all seriousness I don't think there's actually that much showing off from either side.

If there is I think it is partly due to unconscious associations which they feel positive about and on some level help elevate social or peer status.

Etc, etc.

:laugh: Hmm, let me guess which group you fall into.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Not sure I'd call it bragging, but I do IIFYM, and I've been told by so many people that I can't be healthy unless I eat exclusively unprocessed, natural foods, so it just feels good that I'm healthy eating food that tastes good, and not depriving myself.

I haven't seen a whole lot of posts say you must be 100% clean, though there are a few. Young idealists mostly I would imagine. Certain that they've found the answer to save the world. They'd probably be hippies if this were 40 years ago.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it will all kick off with the members of each gang in due time

west-side-story-o.gif

Give me back my ball!

*arf* :laugh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    All the clean eating debates lately have made me very curious about something. Why is that some feel the desire to brag about how much preprared or processed or junk (or whatever term you like) food they eat, while others brag about eating clean?

Often, if you check the open diaries, both contain both good amounts of both clean and processed/preprepared foods. So, what is it that makes 2 different people who eat similar diets brag about and deny/not mention the different parts of their diet?

For about the 10th time this week. The real issue resides in the, generally, preachy nature of the "clean eaters". Spouting off how the processed food will give you 31290471274 dieseases, you'll die of cancer overnight, your kids hair will fall out, & your ancestors will rise from the grave due to all the processed foods.

Blatently spreading bad information and demonizing food though is completely out of place, wrong, and dangerous to the general fitness, weight loss, & health community. Otherwise I don't care dafuq anyone puts in their body.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

It mean food close to the way it is found in nature with little to no processing by man. No man-made addatives. As little processing as possible. For example, butchering meat is processing, but it doesn't make meat not clean because it doesn't change the meat from it's natural form. It just removes other parts of the animal from the meat. Curing meat does change it and so it's not clean. The more processed, the less clean a food is. Brown rice is more clean than brown rice flour becuase the flour is more processed. An apple off a wild apple tree is more clean than a farmed apple that's been sprayed with pesticides. But that doesn't mean eating an apple from the produce dept at your store is not clean. There are gray areas and degrees of clean, but the more natural, the more clean. Man-made foods are not ever clean.

:smile: :indifferent:

Ahh ta, I am a dirty food eater then :sad:
  • myofibril
    Options

Etc, etc.

:laugh: Hmm, let me guess which group you fall into.

How...very...dare...you!

No, wait.

Thanks!

No wait.

How...very...dare...you!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

For about the 10th time this week. The real issue resides in the, generally, preachy nature of the "clean eaters". Spouting off how the processed food will give you 31290471274 dieseases, you'll die of cancer overnight, your kids hair will fall out, & your ancestors will rise from the grave due to all the processed foods.

Blatently spreading bad information and demonizing food though is completely out of place, wrong, and dangerous to the general fitness, weight loss, & health community. Otherwise I don't care dafuq anyone puts in their body.

30sj0ap.gif
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    For the love...why is this thread necessary after the 36 that came before it this week??????
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

30sj0ap.gif

This.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    The same reason you started this post...We have nothing better to do with our time.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I get that (though I'd like to see the post that said you'd die overnight!). And would argue that both sides are preachy. I have seen posts that say 'you will fail if you try to be that strict' or something similar.

Which is more my point. When both of these groups usually eat both clean and processed foods, shouldn't we all just agree that clean foods are good (because there really isn't any evidence that eating natural food is unhealthy) but that in today's society few people eat that way all the time, and that it's not unhealthy to eat processed too?

Why preach either side?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a matter of human nature. People of two different religions that are almost identical will kill each other because they have slightly different interpretations of the same book. My country is better than your country. My sports team is better than your sports team. Your mom wears combat boots (which, nowadays, makes your mom really cool). People just like fighting. And on the flip side, they like bonding with people with the same ideas or beliefs. But mostly... they like fighting.
  • myofibril
    Options
    For the love...why is this thread necessary after the 36 that came before it this week??????

You seem a little stressed.

Have you tried eliminating added sugar from your diet?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'd say the posts against clean eater preaching outnumber the posts actually preaching clean eating by somewhere around 10-1.