Clean vs Processed - Bragging

Options

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Real clean eaters become bougie and look down on non-clean eaters. It's because they think they are more disciplined and knowledgeable than others.

I think it's all about moderation. It would be very difficult to truly eat 'clean' (organic fruits and veggies, range free meat) but I consider eating frozen veggies, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, whole wheat rice and bread, chicken and fish to be clean eating. Even though technically they're still touched by chemicals, its the least amount possible. Even though people can still lose weight eating fast food and foods highly saturated in fat and sugar that stuff can't be good for you in the long run. Just because you're losing weight or skinny doesn't mean you're healthy. I still eat these things every once in a while but it is pure crap for your body.

You are so misinformed about nutrition...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Which is more my point. When both of these groups usually eat both clean and processed foods, shouldn't we all just agree that clean foods are good (because there really isn't any evidence that eating natural food is unhealthy) but that in today's society few people eat that way all the time, and that it's not unhealthy to eat processed too?

This is right! Most people do both.

From what I've seen, the "clean" eaters take flexible dieting and turn it into something it's not. They chastise it by saying there is not way you can eat poptarts all the time and be healthy. The point that is being missed is that most flexible dieters eat nutritious foods 80-90% of the time. When they talk about eating poptarts, ice cream, etc., it's just for fun and not meant to be a major part or their daily intake.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner! Right on the money

Seconded!!!! This is spot on!!! We just don't demonize the 10-20% of discretionary food that we do eat but get ridiculed like we eat nothing but pop tarts and twinkies all day long. It is really quite stupid, especially getting PM's in my inbox telling me I am going to die of cancer cause of the way I eat... Had I not taken control of my life 4 years ago and dropped the weight I have dropped I would NOT be sitting here typing this but there is one thing that I have learned throughout this whole process. Life is far to short to not enjoy life and if that means eating a piece of cake or some ice cream or a pop tart after I have met my macro nutrients for the day and still have some calories remaining to eat something I want, then I have earned that right... I have worked my *kitten* off to get to where I am but I won't sit by on here and read post demonizing food to the masses when there are quite a few people on here just starting out and need to keep it simple and lose weight first and foremost and as they learn the ins and out then they can make the decision for themselves which foods they choose to eat and which ones the don't.... and maybe I am missing these post from the IIFYM crowd where we/they are telling anyone they can't eat a certain way... We don't discriminate any foods unless we personally just don't like something, please feel free to link some of these to me if you have them cause I have been in these forum for quite sometime and can't say I have seen these posts...
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness I don't think there's actually that much showing off from either side.

If there is I think it is partly due to unconscious associations which they feel positive about and on some level help elevate social or peer status.

So, clean eaters: virtuous, ethical, disciplined
    Dirty eaters: flexible, open minded, non conformist

Etc, etc.

You are wise beyond your years, young grasshopper.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    just switch to raw honey. It's clean.
    Bee spit is for baby bees. You don't see other species eating another animal's spit.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The same reason you started this post...We have nothing better to do with our time.

jpfne0.jpg

plus we's hangry
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't care who eats "clean" or who eats "processed."

The only reason I'll ever post about it is to dispel the myth that you cannot achieve weight loss without eating "clean."

Other than that, I don't care.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Because I really like cookies, pizza, and ice cream, but there are times during a cut where if I have to even look at another damn chicken breast I'd cut a beyotch. Today being one of those days, so if anyone has any gifs of Pop Tarts I can fantasize to, I'd be ever so appreciative.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Bee spit is for baby bees. You don't see other species eating another animal's spit.

my dog eats the kitty roca in the catbox........
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Because I really like cookies, pizza, and ice cream, but there are times during a cut where if I have to even look at another damn chicken breast I'd cut a beyotch. Today being one of those days, so if anyone has any gifs of Pop Tarts I can fantasize to, I'd be ever so appreciative.

29yh06c.gif
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say "I eat 80% clean" I mean I do actually eat 80% clean, although I have no time to actually check my math. It's just a stupid fad that needs to die lol
  • BeachIron
    Options

29yh06c.gif

Cat hair on a Pop Tart? Meh, I'd take it right now.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I consider my self a flexible, open-minded clean eater :tongue: I have rid myself of a lot of processed foods and noticed the difference in my energy levels, moods, better sleep. And yes, I do eat about 80% clean - meaning I eat responsibly raised meats, organic fruits & veggies and void GMO's. I say 80% because when I look at everything that eat in a 24 hour period - about 80% of it is clean/unprocessed/non-GMO. But sometimes, you just gotta have a Twinkie!
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I like how i feel when i eat clean and I like how the food i eat tastes. I ate a lot of processed food last week/month and I feel like crap because of it. I know that's why because i fixed it this week and I already feel better. People ask me what I eat or how I did it or what my diet is.. so I tell them. And I tell them why. It's not bragging to state what your diet is and why it works for you or why you follow it.

I'm one of those.. 80% or whatever percent clean eater.. why? because I eat organic whole raw foods, but I like to go out to eat too and I'm not gonna not go out to eat becuase the food isn't "clean" Also, i eat organic for reason outside of "i think it's healthier" so it's not mandantory, it's just a preference.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Blatently spreading bad information and demonizing food though is completely out of place, wrong, and dangerous to the general fitness, weight loss, & health community. Otherwise I don't care dafuq anyone puts in their body.

This. To me, it's like the cardio vs. lifting debate. I have been on both teams, so I understand both sides of the argument. My practices have evolved over time to reflect my goals and what works for me. I don't care what other people eat or how other people train. The only thing I have a problem with is when people say things that are flat-out untrue or at very least unproven in an attempt to justify their own choices.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Which is more my point. When both of these groups usually eat both clean and processed foods, shouldn't we all just agree that clean foods are good (because there really isn't any evidence that eating natural food is unhealthy) but that in today's society few people eat that way all the time, and that it's not unhealthy to eat processed too?

From what I've seen, the "clean" eaters take flexible dieting and turn it into something it's not. They chastise it by saying there is not way you can eat poptarts all the time and be healthy. The point that is being missed is that most flexible dieters eat nutritious foods 80-90% of the time. When they talk about eating poptarts, ice cream, etc., it's just for fun and not meant to be a major part or their daily intake.

Right. That's my point. Most everyone eats both clean and unclean. So why do some wish to portray that they do one and some the other?

I think someone had the right idea earlier when they said it comes down to what you are more proud of (paraphrasing their answer). Some are proud that they've cleaned up their diet, even if not 100%, while some are proud that they haven't had to give up the processed stuff.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I am to please....

Enjoy!!

8928086701_d66ebb3687_zpsd5d091c1.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Winnie the Pooh.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say "I eat 80% clean" I mean I do actually eat 80% clean, although I have no time to actually check my math. It's just a stupid fad that needs to die lol

just like these threads
  • BeachIron
    Options

I am to please....

Enjoy!!

8928086701_d66ebb3687_zpsd5d091c1.jpg

Thank you! You are a true gentleman.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Right. That's my point. Most everyone eats both clean and unclean. So why do some wish to portray that they do one and some the other?

I think someone had the right idea earlier when they said it comes down to what you are more proud of (paraphrasing their answer). Some are proud that they've cleaned up their diet, even if not 100%, while some are proud that they haven't had to give up the processed stuff.

But eating clean is not just about eating non-processed foods. It's about eating non GMO foods and responsibly raised meats. Just eating fresh fruits, veggies and meats is not clean eating. Unfortunately, GMO's have even snuck their way into organic produce so unless you are buying local organic (farmer's markets), it's hard to eat clean. And FWIW, I have never met a person who eats 100% clean!