Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The complexity of weight loss

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
The doctor who runs my weight loss clinic reposted an editorial that resonates with me and my experience. If I were to summarize the article, trashing the "eat less move more" mantra does not mean I blame carbs, or that I absolve people of personal responsibility. However, the way forward to meaningful change is found through small, permanent life changes.

MFP can help by educating people what the calorie load really is.

The article:

http://www.bodyforwife.com/eat-less-move-more-is-*kitten*/?utm_content=buffer851c8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The doctor who runs my weight loss clinic reposted an editorial that resonates with me and my experience. If I were to summarize the article, trashing the "eat less move more" mantra does not mean I blame carbs, or that I absolve people of personal responsibility. However, the way forward to meaningful change is found through small, permanent life changes.

MFP can help by educating people what the calorie load really is.

The article:

http://www.bodyforwife.com/eat-less-move-more-is-*kitten*/?utm_content=buffer851c8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Page says that the link doesn't exist.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

This graphic has led me to the ultimate conclusion, and one that is universal to most of the western world: insurance companies and lawsuits are making people fat.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Nope. Still says...

THAT PAGE DOESN'T EXIST!

Could be your link is a subscribed site or login only site?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I think the word "kitten" has been inserted for a word that MFP doesn't like.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I google...replace "kitten" will bull....

the dots start with the letter s

sure you guys can figure out the rest
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Hey, @Gallowmere1984 In my line of work it is important to get to the root cause of any failure. Applying the wrong fix just leaves the problem unsolved longer.

Consider the fate of the honeybee. It turns out that the cause of their decline is multi-factored. Fixing (or blaming) just one of the causes will not be enough to restore their numbers.

Similarly if the cause of the rise of obesity is multi-factored, fixing (or blaming) just one or two factors won't be enough to reverse the trend.

If the cause is multi factored, how exactly can an obese person make a legal claim for their obesity? In fact my former obesity was a barrier to insurability. I also found many weight loss aids to be uninsured as well. I felt I was in a catch-22 for a long time.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Aha! Colorful language.

Www.bodyforwife.com

Go to December 15.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The MFP filters are messing up the link and subbing "kitten" for "bullish!t" . You can replace kitten with bullish!t (with an i instead of ! ) I n the link or If you google "body for wife eat less move more" it will be the top link.
  • jgnatca
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @lemurcat12 your insightful post cools down this hot topic.

I remind people that simple does not mean easy. And I do believe that some households are hostile to weight loss (cases of sugar soda in the hall, deep fryer on the counter, and fast food showing up in the kitchen).

This winter when money was tight, hubby contributed more to the food budget than he does usually. As it was his money being squandered, he was parsimonious in doling it out. Then on payday he suggested we get our eggs from the local quickie mart. I gave him a little lecture on how a little investment up front saves him a whole load of money on the back end. No eggs from the quickie store!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Hey, @Gallowmere1984 In my line of work it is important to get to the root cause of any failure. Applying the wrong fix just leaves the problem unsolved longer.

Consider the fate of the honeybee. It turns out that the cause of their decline is multi-factored. Fixing (or blaming) just one of the causes will not be enough to restore their numbers.

Similarly if the cause of the rise of obesity is multi-factored, fixing (or blaming) just one or two factors won't be enough to reverse the trend.

If the cause is multi factored, how exactly can an obese person make a legal claim for their obesity? In fact my former obesity was a barrier to insurability. I also found many weight loss aids to be uninsured as well. I felt I was in a catch-22 for a long time.

I was more referring to all of the stuff on the bottom right that is killing the demand for physical exertion. I have a friend who works for a local municipality. They just sank millions into demolishing, regrading, and modifying a bunch of sidewalk and landscape, due to fatties and the elderly injuring themselves and subsequently suing the city.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Damn those elderly and those fatties. Let's blame the handicapped too while we are at it. Lowering elevator buttons so they can reach, ramps instead of three inch risers, and door-less public washroom access. Why should they get center stage? Back of the bus, all of you. The world is owned by those who have managed to avoid major mishap and as a consequence preserve their hubris undisputed.

Funny enough, the handicapped weren't the ones complaining or suing. It's almost like they face real challenges in life that aren't lifestyle oriented and self-imposed. Somewhere along the lines, those of us who have had it easiest (clearly demonstrated by the fact that we were able to get obese and/or physically weak to begin with) decided that society owed us an existence even more devoid of physical demand.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Former fatty here. My life was never easy, before or since. In my city entrances and public spaces were modified on the advice of a vocal advocacy group arguing for better public access for those with limited mobility. Guess what? We have all benefitted.

In the past few months two citizens have died in public cross walks in our city by left turning buses. One was a senior citizen active in local. charities and the second a thirteen year old girl. These sorts of errors in public safety should wake us up to make changes to our environment.

Oh, I agree with you 100% there. I wasn't talking about crosswalks. Whenever vehicle and pedestrian traffic are forced to meet, bad things often happen.

No, I am talking about petty (but expensive to change) things like grades of sidewalks being reduced, obsession over 1/8th" "trip hazards" at joints, and historical brick sidewalks being removed because "slightly uneven footing".

When 1/8" is the difference between a casual stride and eating concrete, I have to wonder if we haven't done too good of a job at hobbling natural selection.